Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some meguiars paste cleaner wax to try and clean the spokes on my new bike. They have a little corrosion and I'm not sure what would be best to clean it off and then protect them. Any ideas you guys may have would be awesome.
Thank you
Nathan

·
Registered
334 Posts
Might be able to use Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish? Not sure if if would work or not. You might have to rub kind of hard to get it to come off. The wax you could give a try but not sure how well it really "cleans" as I have used it in the past and really wasn't super impressed with it. Never cleaned spokes with it though so maybe give it a shot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Burgundy, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and fill y'all in afterwards. I don't wanna scratch h the crime cause that makes it rust easier.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I hate to tell you, but the finish on the spokes of the vlx aren't chrome and you can wear out two elbows and have the same results. The front rim on mine, they don't look too bad after nearly 65k miles, the rear spokes are so bad I covered them with some spoke covers.

luck on this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm what kind of finish is it then. They have to be steel and steel doesn't polish all that well. Are they zinc coated then?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dennis, I figured they were stainless before I seen what looked like corrosion from aluminum on them. It may be some kind of galvanic corrosion from the aluminium hub and stainless spokes but I am hoping to get it off with some elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
The hub/rims are chrome, not sure of the spokes but just keep em clean, elbow grease will get you down past any finish, then you get the tarnish; forever.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Hmm what kind of finish is it then. They have to be steel and steel doesn't polish all that well. Are they zinc coated then?
They are zinc coated. And be careful, it does wear off easily if you polish them too much. Never, ever use a wheel cleaner on them. It will eat the zinc off with just one use and will look like crap and nothing you can do to fix it other than paint or spoke wraps or a re lace. Just soap and water on mine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scared, that is the only thing that made sense to me. They have to be steel and if they are not cromed then Zinc is really the only other option. The cleaner wax I am using isn't too abrasive so I'll be careful and go by hand instead of a polish ball or anything.

·
Registered
16,785 Posts
This has me in bewilderment... Is that a word???
Mine is a 98 model, and this was my reference when I mentioned stainless...
The rear wheel sometimes needs the spoke brush to clean with soap BUT it comes relatively clean with just pressure washing....
Mine has chromed steel wheels also...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is an 06, maybe they went to a different type of spoke at some point. I'll know what is going on after I get after it today. If the stuff flakes off with a little brushing then it is probably stainless. If not it is probably Zinc coated steel.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Mine is an 06, maybe they went to a different type of spoke at some point. I'll know what is going on after I get after it today. If the stuff flakes off with a little brushing then it is probably stainless. If not it is probably Zinc coated steel.
Put a magnet on one of the spokes. If it sticks, it is steel. If not, it is stainless. Steel is a ferrous metal whereas stainless is a non ferrous metal alloy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts