Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Cowtown Motorcycle Group is planning on doing the Hill Country thing this Memorial Day Weekend. We will ride down from Fort Worth on Saturday, ride the Three Sisters on Sunday, and returning to North Texas on Monday.
Some of us will be staying at the Koyote Ranch Resort; others will be staying in Motels in Kerrville. The ride is being planned this far in advance so that cabins can be reserved before they are all booked up. So far we have 13 riders signed up.
Anyone can join us. How about you Cowboy830? You got plans for Memorial Day?
http://www.meetup.com/motorcycle-23/events/16180431/

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Wallasan!! Glad to hear you folks are coming down, and you know at some point in that week-end, I'll be there!! Always have a ball riding with you guys and gals!! We,ll iron out the details later! Will be good to see you, has been a while!! Ride safe!! Cowboy

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Only three weeks away! There are 20 members of the Cowtown Motorcycle Meetup Group signed up for this ride. We will start Sundays ride at the Koyote Ranch Resort. The restaurant opens for breakfast at 8:30 and after everyone has had their coffee we will head out. Our route is the traditional Three Sisters Loop. We should put kickstands up at the Koyote Ranch by about 9:30 and this should put us in Leakey around 10:45 and Camp Wood around 11:30. It’s too late to reserve a cabin at the Ranch (they are all booked up) but they do have tent sites left. Or you can meet us along the way if you want. The Cowtown Group is a friendly bunch who know how to ride.

Me and Cowboy at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum a couple of years ago. I ride a Stratoliner now.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Please, tell me the exact route you are going to take. I've looked at the maps & can't tell how to do the 3 sisters in under 300 miles. I can do that on the highway with no problem in a day, but would have trouble doing that on THOSE roads. So, I'm curious as to what your exact path is going to be.

Who knows, I might be there for Breakfast that Sunday.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I was in Kerrville this past weekend and rode the 3 sista's. If you're looking for some reasonably priced lodging, try America's Best Value Inn. I paid about 50.00 a night for a room with queen bed, frig, microwave and wireless internet. They also provided a continental breakfast. The room was clean and sufficient for my needs. Rates will probably be a little higher for a holiday weekend and I would suggest making those reservation asap.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was in Kerrville this past weekend and rode the 3 sista's. If you're looking for some reasonably priced lodging, try America's Best Value Inn. I paid about 50.00 a night for a room with queen bed, frig, microwave and wireless internet. They also provided a continental breakfast. The room was clean and sufficient for my needs. Rates will probably be a little higher for a holiday weekend and I would suggest making those reservation asap.
And America's Best Value Inn is only 15 miles from the Koyote Ranch. A real nice ride down Texas 16 too.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Kerrville,+TX&daddr=Koyote+Ranch+Resort&hl=en&geocode=Fcl8ygEdIT0X-in_2zPTYXFZhjEnTNTv9nqDtw%3BFd5GyAEdpGgV-iHDIad-E5t6kSnpC07ta1RZhjGbqc20w5l2yA&gl=us&mra=ls&sll=30.065213,-99.122086&sspn=0.006741,0.013711&ie=UTF8&ll=29.966832,-99.200363&spn=0.230802,0.438766&z=11

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hwy. 16 is a nice ride and for those of you who have never had the pleasure, there are a couple of places that the suggested speed limit is reduced to 15 mph...it's not a bad idea to follow that advice.

·
Registered
884 Posts

This pic was just taken on Saturday (5/7), around 7:20 pm, on Hwy 16. This was the first of 2 at this speed. This section of tight turns through hills & valleys along this highway lined with ranch houses & stock tanks is up tight & close to Kerrville. If you don't go all the way to/from Kerrville, you won't get to ride this bit of excitement. As someone else said, the curves are so tight, you can see your own taillights.

I'd have to say that 15 mph should be honored on these curves - not like the 35 mph curves you take at 40 or the 50 mph curves you take at 70-80. You can EASILY override your ability to turn, if you're careless.

From there, the curves begin to be a bit more sweeping with speeds jumping to 35 mph. That should take you on into Bandera. There's a sharp left turn at the traffic light just past Busbee's BBQ (good Q) and it's pretty much highway speeds from there into San Antonio.

I'm pretty sure THAT section, between Bandera & Kerrville, is the section for which I've been looking. This has been called a "Not for beginners" piece of road, but simply slowing down and riding within your abilities makes it an enjoyable experience for all.

We had gone from Kerrville to Bandera, but took 173 as a shortcut. It will not give you the kind of "stuck on the face" smile that Hwy 16 will.

I'll check out the map links (posted above) this evening & see how they look. I've got a few routes in mind, just for myself, & it'll be interesting to see how these match up.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ok, I've checked it out. For me to make that trip to Leakey and around the loop, then home, it's almost 300 miles. No big deal to get up early, grab some breakfast tacos, then meet y'all at the restaurant to go. That's 3 weeks away. Let me see how this is going to work out .

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sure wish I could have made it. The MIL decided she wanted to have a family BBQ that Sunday, so that's where I had to be.

We have had some winds here, lately. We all keep hoping it'll blow some rain into the area, but it seems to be blowing out all the moisture. But, even with the 22 mile ride to work (& 22 miles home), I hardly notice the winds, unless they're really bad.

Hope everyone had a great time down here. Sorry I missed it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hot and windy but we still had a great time, as always. The wind was the real bad news. The real good news is that the tight twisty section of Texas 16 south of Kerrville has new pavement.

·
Registered
851 Posts
We also had a good time but our group ended up with two sick bikes and two sick riders. One of the guys had to rent a car to go home and get his truck/trailer. It was hard to find anything that was open on the Sunday and/or Monday.

I almost didn't make it myself. I had a busted fuel hose and NOBODY had the part in stock. Luckily, the guy in the used department at one of the dealerships was nice enough to take a hose off of one of the 1300's he had for sale. We left 2 hours later than we were supposed to but nonetheless left (on the bike).

We rode HWY 16 (from around Bandera to Kerrville) and I think I know exactly which twisty section you are speaking of. I was really nervous the first time we rode it. I couldn't seem to find the right gear going up and the idiot section of my brain rode my brakes on the way down. Those hills just as soon have been mountains to us south Louisiana riders. The only hills and valleys we have are the dead possums and huge potholes.

We didn't get to ride all 3 HWY's. We just did 337. We spent much of our time on a wild goose chase looking for a replacement rear tire. The scenery was nice but my passenger can give you a better description. I was too busy concentrating on curves and potential deer hazards.

PS. For future travelers, we stayed in the Hampton Inn in Boerne and I recommend it. Nice big rooms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts