Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on ordering a Memphis Fats 19" for my Spirit 1100.

What cutout size would be the best ? 7"or 9"?

Trying to decide on color, too. My bike is a red 2005.
Might possibly go with clear or the red gradient.
Does anyone have the red windshield? Does the red
match the honda red?
Does the color age well?

Thanks for you help-

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think you might be better off with the clear. The pictures on the Memphis site look a little "pink" to me. My "black" gradient is actually purple in certain light. If I were to do it over, I would go clear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I take it an ace 750 would also need a 7" cutout? I'm looking for a windshield and eyeing the memphis fats 19".

·
Registered
628 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Hey shroomhead, one more question:

Which mounting bracket did you use for your bike? They say the MEM9908 bracket only works for '98-00 ace 750's. Are you supposed to use the ace deluxe bracket?

Link to the brackets: http://www.memphisshades.com/honda_fatslim_appchart.shtml

Thanks for the help :)
If your bike is the "deluxe" version, with the chrome fork covers and other chromed bits, then you'll need MEM9912, otherwise the MEM9908.

HTH :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
You sure won't go wrong with the Memphis Shades Fats. I love mine. And if you decide to ride without the windshield you can take it off in just a couple of minutes and reinstall it just as fast. I sure like mine.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
I had the black tint and it looked great. I got rid of it because the wind coming up your legs causes updrafting behind the 'shield and ultimately leads to helmet buffeting. I could never tune it all the way out. Now I ride the cruiser sans 'shield and it's fine. I'd rather deal with a little fatigue from having the wind on my chest than the buffeting. I had a 15", a 19" and a 21" 'shield on my Sabre and they all exhibited some buffeting to varying degrees, with and without the Laminar Lip.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Chornbe's signature line .... "Some people are like a Slinky.....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile
when you shove them down the stairs."

chornbe that's the funniest thing I've seen all day!! :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
I found it on one of those perpetually-forwarded emails about "things to keep in mind when the holidays have you frazzled" lists or some such. :lol:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Pixel, I run a memphis fats 19" black gradient on my Spirit. At 6' it is perfect to look over without having to look thru. It is a must have for the highway.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
chornbe said:
I had the black tint and it looked great. I got rid of it because the wind coming up your legs causes updrafting behind the 'shield and ultimately leads to helmet buffeting. I could never tune it all the way out. Now I ride the cruiser sans 'shield and it's fine. I'd rather deal with a little fatigue from having the wind on my chest than the buffeting. I had a 15", a 19" and a 21" 'shield on my Sabre and they all exhibited some buffeting to varying degrees, with and without the Laminar Lip.
Precisely why I got the Hellcat.
ALL it does is relieve the pressure on my chest.
Very small and easily removed.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input everyone. It seems for me that the choice is clear....or red.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone have the red windshield? I'm curious how well the color matches the red spirit paint and is the tint durable?
Thanks again-

·
Registered
41 Posts
buddy of mine has the red gradient on a red bike, looks sharp.

i have the black gradient with black lowers and i personally like it.

g

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've got the Fats 21 on my Sabre & I'm looking thru the top 2" of it, tho I can sit up straight & see over the top, if I want. I don't usually want to, so I've got the extra protection from some flying debris not being able to hit me in the helmet face shield.

Memphis Shades is excellent with customer service & you may want to contact them directly. They'll be able to help you choose the proper hardware & everything. And, if you lose a part, they send them out for free & only ask that you make a donation to their favorite charity - if you like.

I've got the Fats 21 and the lowers on my Sabre. I like it, about 85% worth. I'm thinking about the National Cycle PlexiFairing-III because I think it will allow less buffeting from underneath. But, it's an expense I don't want to incur right now.

Personally, I wouldn't ride without a windshield, but that's not what this discussion is about. email Memphis Shades & get your info directly from them, but pick the cutout that you've been given by folks here. & the 7" cutout works for both the ACE 750 Deluxe & the Sabre. I've had it on both.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was running a 19" on my '04 Sabre (bought new 06/06) and got a lot of helmet buffeting above 50 mph. Picked up a 21" off the clearance table at a dealer for about half price after Christmas. Installed it a few days ago. Now the helmet buffeting has disappeared - haven't had it above 60 mph since installation. Normal riding stance, I look just above the windshield. I can slump slightly and look through the windshield. I don't even notice the windshield edge when riding. I am a 6' tall heavyweight.

Dealer had a Memphis Shades template they held in position while I sat on the Sabre and advised I take the 19" to look well over the windshield. They said the air flow would be deflected over my head anyway - Wrong! You can't stretch a too short windshield, but you can cut down a too tall windshield.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts