Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any testimony of the actual protection proved by the lightweight mesh apparel from rash? I'm looking to get the jacket and maybe the pants. Alot of the riding here is in mild to sticky hot weather.
Of course as we all know it wont protect from everything, as any gear wont, but just wondering how its proved itself?
Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
+1 in interest in this. I saw the mesh jacket pic at Ride to Die... but no context, what abuse did it take to shred? I bet even my textile jacket would do that if I slid far enough. I don't like wearing my regular gear when it's hot and humid, but won't ride without... so often, that means I don't ride as much as I would otherwise.

Waydawg, that is one sharp looking ride!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Waydawg,

Check this vendor out... I have the Kevlar Air Mesh pants, and while I have not had to test them against the pavement....there are enough testimonials on their website to back the product up. They are very cool in the summer heat and humidity up here, and most days I just wear shorts underneath them. Ample body armour in them. There is an optional windproof/waterproof liner which I purchased for cooler wet days.

I am planning on getting the air mesh jacket to match this year.

....Rick

www.motoport.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing myself and looking at some of the motorcycle gear a little more skeptical. I have gotten a lot of information from www.advrider.com in their equipment section. They have a thread discussing the motoport jackets and pants. As well on the motoport site at the top right hand corner there is a section entitled "saving your hide" and ranks some of the textiles and their impact and abrasion resistance (or lack of)

I have no "crash testing" under my belt - and would like to hear the experiences of anyone wearing textiles. From what I have read however it seems that 620 Denier cordura is a minimum for any unplanned slides.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The Aerostitch stuff has some good testimonials from riders all over the world about holding up in crashes.

I've seen one First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket that went down in a crash and it looked trashed out but the rider said it did the job. But they won't hold up like leathers. The way I look at it, they are like helmets, good for one fall.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Protection

Your question is unanswerable. Those who wear protective gear will say it is great, those who believe it's their God-given right to do it their way will say it is meaningless. Those who have to preserve the B-A Biker image will wear a t-shirt and doo-rag and hope for the best. Nothing will provide absolute protection. A better perspective would be: Are you better off with an armoured Joe Rocket mesh jacked or a t-shirt? The answer is obvious. You will most certainly get some road rash but the extent of damage will be greatly reduced.
Never, but never ride without all of your protective gear! For the "It's too hot" guys and girls, I live in the Phoenix area and ambient temps are very high during much of the year. I have never found it too hot to leave my gear at home. Let's be safe out there.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
230 Posts
rmw said:
The Aerostitch stuff has some good testimonials from riders all over the world about holding up in crashes.
Does Aero make mesh jackets/suits?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
From their website:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Roadcrafter-One-Piece-Suit-p-16133.html

"This is the original, classic design for everyday, any-distance commuting and touring. The one piece Roadcrafter has been worn on every continent, in every type of weather to nearly every place you can get to on a motorcycle. "

It doesn't specifically say that it's tolerable in high-heat conditions. But it is Gore-Tex and supposedly "breathable."

Whether this constitutes a "mesh" jacket/suit I'm not sure.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think the only thing you don't want is anything with a lot of polyester in it.....it will melt into your skin along with the road dirt when you hit the pavement.

The one thing I can tell you about the Kevlar air mesh material in the motoport pants...is that on a hot day in the full sun, even though the material is black, it does not get hot. Whether you are standing still or on the move. Its pretty amazing. Kevlar does not conduct heat.???

...Rick

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well so far I guess I am the only guy who has tested this stuff out the hard way. I went down a little over two years ago wearing a 1st gear mesh jacket with pads similar to the joe rocket. I now have a joe rocket pants and jacket since the 1st gear took a little cosmetic damage but is still serviceable and I still wear it on occasion, I was high sided off my bike and came down on my left arm, shoulder, and head. My helmet took a beating and my left elbow broken in 4 pieces but no loss of hide. The only loss of hide was on my left knee where I was wearing jeans only. I will NEVER ride without a helmet or protective clothing again to include gloves. I might add here that my leather roper gloves took a pretty good scraping also. I esentially walked away from this crash. The ambulance was there but I declined a ride cuz of cost. I ride and live in Fl. 90 degree air is less hot than 135 degree tar mixed with dirt and oil.
Since the crash I now have pants and boots also. I don't wear the pants and boots all the time but if I am highway riding for any distance i do for sure and I have now switched to a nolan flip front full face helmet.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I queried a co-worker of mine who has an Aerostitch one-piece suit. He lives in Maryland and rides a Triumph sport bike.

I asked him: "Would you say your Aerostitch is compatible with hot weather riding? Really hot weather riding?"

His response:

I think not. It's quite windproof, so the ability to get some ventilation is limited, especially for your legs. Upper body ventilation is not so bad. Mine is black, which is fine on cold sunny days but would be unbearable on hot sunny days. I'd say the upper limit of comfort is 80 degrees. Even then your legs get warm. The website talks about putting ice in the pockets on hot days but I haven't tried that.

The Aerostich is great at anything below 80 degrees, especially for those days when the ride starts at just above freezing and 80 is the high. Above that, I think a two piece suit of breathable mesh fabric is a better choice. The other problem with the Aerostich is that it takes up the space of a sleeping bag when you roll it up. When you do take it off, it can be a problem to stow.

But given the weather around here [Maryland], I'm happy with mine, at least until July-August.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Good one

Jeff... Good response. For those of us who have been down over the years there is no question about the value of protective equipment. My helmet, leather jacket and gloves took a beating but I lost no hide during my get-off. Jeans didn't fare so well. I ended up with a few scrapes on my legs.
I wore a First Gear jacket last summer and now have a J.R. for hot weather use. Not wearing gear for short rides? Mine happened a block from my house when the driver in front of me made an all-out panic stop that left me with few options. Thankfully, my gear prevented serious injury and my helmet saved my life.

Enjoy the ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts