Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the metro Detroit area willing to help me out cleaning the carbs on my 2007 vlx? It only has 3k miles but has sat for the last 4 years. I've worked on cars before and am picking up the Honda service manual but it'd be nice to have someone with experience helping me out to stop me from making any stupid mistakes. I'd really appreciate it and will compensate with food. Beer. Money. My gratitude. Whatever it takes. Id just much rather do it myself instead of spending $500 to have someone else do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd offer my help, but I'm relatively inexperienced with carbs. I cleaned and tuned my old CBR's carbs (a set of 4) and did fine with it, but it takes some nerve to get going. Especially if you've never done them before.

I felt like the more I read up on what to do and what to be careful of, the less confident I felt doing the job.

All in all, just go slow and take lots of pictures. Get a big sheet of white paper to lay the parts on (so you can circle and label them in pen), and follow the instructions!

Send me a message if you still want some help, good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well shoot, now I might have a carb issue. Though I'm somewhat doubtful...

I just get a tune up (coolant, oil, oil filter, air filter, and plugs) and now am getting slight popcorn-pop backfiring on downshifting. Maybe the plugs aren't seated well enough?

Prior to the maintenance work there was no backfiring that I was aware of - though I wasn't specifically listening for it....

Tell me if I'm off point, but my first order of business is going to be to ensure the plugs are seated properly, then check all connections for the exhaust to make sure ther aren't any leaks. Then I'm not sure......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.