Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my my '03 750 ace back from the shop with my new Metzler tires. DAMN! What a difference! Handling is incredible. Yes they're pricey, but well worth it. Whether slaloming around a parking lot or winding out on a mountain road, it's like a whole different bike. Wet pavement, no problem.
Do what ever you have to do...take a second mortgage out on the house, sell the kids, but get Metzlers. That was the final phase of fitting out for my 10,000 mile road trip starting in May (Vancouver, BC to Kentucky and back). My ACE is now fitted out with floorboards, 39-tooth rear sprocket, blast horn, headlight modulator, backrest, luggage, and gel seat pad. LISA... how do one get ahold of one of those "Crazy Canucks" patches? I'd be happy to pay.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to the "Holy crap, why don't they come stock with these?" club. I remember how well they rode after I installed my set...like rails. I hear good things about the Avons as well, but I'll never go back to the Dunlops.

It looks like you are all set for your road trip. Have you planned your route yet?

And headlight modulators cause the headlight to alternate between low and high beam to make motorcycles more visible in traffic. I've had mine for a year and it definitely makes a difference. Check them out here:
http://www.kisantech.com/

G

·
I've had never replaced my tires, yet. But planned on going with the Metzlers, have read lots of good stuff about them. 8) 8)

I didn't go with the Modulator, but never say never. If you have them, it's really noticable, just be warned, you may get, "Hey, your head light is blinking" :D

I've had good results from my lightbar. Always kept them on. Better visibility, not necessarily for me, but for the cagers. :wink:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
OzarkJeep said:
what is a headlight modulator?
It's a device that dims and brings up to full power the headlight. Makes it look like it is flashing but the bulb never goes all the way out. It is made to make a bike more visible.

On the other subject; don't forget about Venoms!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Metzlers-Modulators-Road Trip

Yeah, I get a lot of "Your headlight's blinking." My reply: "Good! That means you saw me coming."
My route is roughly, through WA, OR, WY & MT, including Grand Teton & Yellowstone, then to Sturgis and Deadwood and Little Bighorn, then on the Stranding Rock Sioux Rez ND, to visit an old army buddy, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, and KY. Then back through IN & MO & KS, NB, SD and ID, then back up through Alberta and on to Beautiful BC and home. Planning to camp all along the way. Just celebrated my 70th birthday, and I figure I have at least one more road trip left in these old bones.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah they are great tires for Shadows. My Mech said that they would ad 10 MPH to my turns. He was rite.

Where I used to live there was this 25 MPH curve. I'd take it at 35 with the Dunlops but it would be a fight and it felt like the bike was on the edge of control. With the Metz 35 felt like nothing, at 45 I'd just have to lean into the turn and I didn't have to think about it. I'm sure 55 would have been fine with counter steering but I'm not a bold rider, hoping to be an old rider!

Next On the highway there was this grove where the layers of asphalt meet each other. The road used to go off to the left but now they have it straitened out. I'd have to be ready and fight the Dunlop tires to keep from following the old traffic pattern and going off the road. The Metz tires act like that grove is not even there.

What is funny is that 90% of people love them on their shadows but the Gold Wing guys hate them. We have three guys in our club who tired then and said that they got a funny vibration like the wheel was out of balance.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Re: Metzler tires...DAMN!

Parnell2 said:
Just got my my '03 750 ace back from the shop with my new Metzler tires. DAMN! What a difference! Handling is incredible. Yes they're pricey, but well worth it. Whether slaloming around a parking lot or winding out on a mountain road, it's like a whole different bike. Wet pavement, no problem.
Do what ever you have to do...take a second mortgage out on the house, sell the kids, but get Metzlers. That was the final phase of fitting out for my 10,000 mile road trip starting in May (Vancouver, BC to Kentucky and back). My ACE is now fitted out with floorboards, 39-tooth rear sprocket, blast horn, headlight modulator, backrest, luggage, and gel seat pad. LISA... how do one get ahold of one of those "Crazy Canucks" patches? I'd be happy to pay.
Don't *ever* skimp on tires. Good tires not only make the bike a better riding experience, but can increase your margin of safety in handling, braking and confidence in cornering. Most OEM model of tires suck. For instance, my Sabre came with some Dunlops. Dunlop makes some *excellent* tires, but the crap model they put on for OEM were just horrid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Parnell - glad to give you some info on camping-biking in the Oregon - Washington area, but it helps to know when you are going, and your rough route. And 70 is only a good start for moving those old bones - I am 68 and put about 20K a year on bikes - Wing, Shadow, Pacific Coast, and even a few on some dirt rigs, but dirt is getting a lot harder to do. And I gave up the butt-in-the-air bikes several years ago. However, I can still pump up a mattress and enjoy snoring under the spotted sky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put mine on last weekend, it was the pain in the butt but it's sure worth it. while i'm at it, I changed out the new sproket to 39 teeth. I didn't feel like to balancing my tires so I tried the new balancing bead instead of weight.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/?gclid=CM6AxOzv7YoCFREnSgodIipgmA
I got her up to 100 mph and it's handling very well. Very impress with the new product. RECOMMENDED!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Everyone I know seems to rave about the performane of Metzlers, but I've heard they don't last as long (in my opinion that shouldn't be a factor if they handle better).

I'm getting close to needing a new rear tire. I still have stock Bridgestones on the bike. Some folks seem to think these are pretty good (at least in terms of longevity). Anyone out there ridden on Bridgestones and Metzlers?

Cheers, D-Mac

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been trying to decide whether to change from my Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe, to a Burgman 650 Exec. However, after reading all the positive comments on the Metzlers 880s, I am going to have two fitted and balanced, and try it for a month or so. ( I don't do a lot of miles on the bike, as my wife and I use this mostly as a dinghy, when on vacation. )
I may decide to keep the shadow 750 after all, and thank everyone for some great info. Will let you know how it all works out.

Harry.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went online to find the size of Metzeler tires I need for my '04 750 Aero. They have given me two options

Front 120/80-17 M/C 61V TL ME880 FRONT
Rear 200/70B15M/CTL 82H ME880 - 40 PSI - 3.5 INCHES

Remarks: Stage 1

Front 120/80-17 M/C 61V TL ME880 FRONT - 36 PSI - 3.0 INCHES
Rear 170/80B15M/CTL 77H ME880 - 40 PSI - 3.5 INCHES

Can someone 'In the Know' tell me the difference between the two rears and which one is better suited for this bike. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.