Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
As long as brain damaged helmetless riders, SQUIDs in tees, thongs and flip-flops and other freedom loving high risk types don't wind up getting treated with public money, I could not care less one way or tother.

Truth be told, helmetless riders actually save lives! They result in fewer cage passenger injuries since helmets punch thru windshields and unadorned heads just splat like a ripe melon.

Help keep cagers safe, ride nekkid.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
The NHTSA (The Feds) just had a big meeting with our Governor, to try to convince him to veto this bill when it comes across his desk. We have been writing letters and emails every day in the effort to help him see that riders want freedom of choice.

This is our best chance ever to regain the right to determine our own level of safety.
HELMET LAWS SUCK

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
As long as brain damaged helmetless riders, SQUIDs in tees, thongs and flip-flops and other freedom loving high risk types don't wind up getting treated with public money, I could not care less one way or tother.

Truth be told, helmetless riders actually save lives! They result in fewer cage passenger injuries since helmets punch thru windshields and unadorned heads just splat like a ripe melon.

:shock:...:roll:

·
Registered
23,171 Posts

how long have you been that ignorant?..Never mind, probably too long to educate.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts

Doesn't get it, never will. :sad:

·
Super Moderator
6,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The NHTSA (The Feds) just had a big meeting with our Governor, to try to convince him to veto this bill when it comes across his desk. We have been writing letters and emails every day in the effort to help him see that riders want freedom of choice.

This is our best chance ever to regain the right to determine our own level of safety.
HELMET LAWS SUCK
There is one catch to the law........ it will require all motorcyclists to buy a minimum of $100,000 insurance coverage for injuries. Current law doesn't even require bikers to buy personal injury coverage; instead we pay into the Michigan auto insurance fund for catastrophic injuries. (I already pay to have the $100,000 coverage on my policy in addition to paying into the catastrophic fund)

Honestly, I don't believe the law is intended to afford bikers more freedom; it's strictly a pay-back by the Republican led Michigan legislature to Insurance companies for their support. With about 300,000 registered motorcycles in Michigan, the insurance companies will have a very lucrative field-day selling $100,000 personal injury coverage to all those bikers!
Phil

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Regardless of the intent it's good to see another state do away with the law. Now if Nebraska could get it's head out of it's ass and pass ours. Too many ultra conservative types in this state to pass it. We might get close next year though.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I STILL say these "studies" about helemts reducing injuries is just a bunch of number manipulating. All this talk about a burden on the health care system...The National Center for Health Statistics estimates that approximately 1.16% of the total U.S. health costs can be attributed to motor vehicle accidents, while less than .001% can be attributed to all motorcycle injury treatment costs. Did you know helmets are designed (by DOT guidelines) to cushion the head from a drop of 6 feet, which is about equivalent to an impact collision at about 13-15mph....I can not find empirical data breakdown of average speed and or type of accident, but I'm thinking MOST collision type are above 13mph...so there goes your protection aspect. I still say that helmets produce more severe brain damaged persons who require full-time long term health-care. The upside (in a very morbid sort of way) to helmet-less riders is they are more apt NOT survive accidents thus increasing the available organ donors, thus reducing the waiting time for others (although the lifestyle of some bikers may not produce any usable organs.. :shock:) We ride, we KNOW the risks, make it mandatory that every biker has their donor card filled out, take off the lid and have at 'er!! :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
The real problem with the MI helmet law is that they say you have to ride with "a" helmet, but don't specify which one. Then it's up to the individual cop's opinion. If MI said "All wear DOT, etc, Approved helmets", then MI would be liable, because they determined that it was safe, making it an open door for lawsuits because they said that this would stop an injury at such and such miles per hour (and let's be honest, traffic, freeway speeds, anything can and usually does happen). Michigan has never had a CLEAR definition as to what type or approval your helmet should have. i don't mind wearing them, but for the love of God, please, be clear on what a "legal" helmet would be. Michigan's problem is that it will never jeopardize itself by saying "this is what to wear".

Worse yet, is when you have to go for a ticket and they have no proof, but they "know from the handbook (that they never seem to have) that it's the wrong type of helmet". When I went for mine, I had 10 previous case documents where there was proof of no definition, resulting in no case, as well as hundreds of helmet ads, claiming varying degrees of safety. Cop had nothing. No fine, but what a day in court that was.

When it's all said and done, I still say that at freeway speed, no matter what you wear, chances are you aren't making it home.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I STILL say these "studies" about helemts reducing injuries is just a bunch of number manipulating. All this talk about a burden on the health care system...The National Center for Health Statistics estimates that approximately 1.16% of the total U.S. health costs can be attributed to motor vehicle accidents, while less than .001% can be attributed to all motorcycle injury treatment costs.Did you know helmets are designed (by DOT guidelines) to cushion the head from a drop of 6 feet, which is about equivalent to an impact collision at about 13-15mph....I can not find empirical data breakdown of average speed and or type of accident, but I'm thinking MOST collision type are above 13mph...so there goes your protection aspect. I still say that helmets produce more severe brain damaged persons who require full-time long term health-care. The upside (in a very morbid sort of way) to helmet-less riders is they are more apt NOT survive accidents thus increasing the available organ donors, thus reducing the waiting time for others (although the lifestyle of some bikers may not produce any usable organs.. :shock:) We ride, we KNOW the risks, make it mandatory that every biker has their donor card filled out, take off the lid and have at 'er!! :D
You gotta remember, in order to have sufficient troops against anything where a smaller based group wants something done, lawmakers have to make it look bad for the masses. That way, they are being "caring".

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
The real problem with the MI helmet law is that they say you have to ride with "a" helmet, but don't specify which one. Then it's up to the individual cop's opinion. If MI said "All wear DOT, etc, Approved helmets", then MI would be liable, because they determined that it was safe, making it an open door for lawsuits because they said that this would stop an injury at such and such miles per hour (and let's be honest, traffic, freeway speeds, anything can and usually does happen). Michigan has never had a CLEAR definition as to what type or approval your helmet should have. i don't mind wearing them, but for the love of God, please, be clear on what a "legal" helmet would be. Michigan's problem is that it will never jeopardize itself by saying "this is what to wear".
...what part of Michigan do you live in...the part that doesn't read?...this is clearly on the Michigan.gov site...

MOTORCYCLE HELMET LAWA motorcyclist in Michigan is required to wear a DOT-approved motorcycle helmet on his or her head when operating a motorcycle or when riding as a passenger on a motorcycle. This applies to all highways, roads, streets, and other thoroughfares in Michigan.

·
Registered
211 Posts
...what part of Michigan do you live in...the part that doesn't read?...this is clearly on the Michigan.gov site...
4 years ago, when I was in court for it, it wasn't there, but thanks a million for the insult.

..And the main reason I rarely come onto this site. No one can say anything without trying to insult or belittle. I'm in the part of MI that doesn't give a **** and posting insults to simple opinions is just a waste of thought to me. Gotta be in person for true effect. I think suffice to say that even with the DOT rated at what? 10-15 MPH or dropped from 6 feet and staying intact or whatever, at highway speed, it just doesn't matter. The only way to make them safer then is to be in a car, but being that every time you go out, there may be the time you don't come back, if you can't deal with it, don't get on it. But again, that's just me, being in an area that is both over-populated and a good ratio of drivers have never had licenses.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I STILL say these "studies" about helemts reducing injuries is just a bunch of number manipulating. All this talk about a burden on the health care system...The National Center for Health Statistics estimates that approximately 1.16% of the total U.S. health costs can be attributed to motor vehicle accidents, while less than .001% can be attributed to all motorcycle injury treatment costs.Did you know helmets are designed (by DOT guidelines) to cushion the head from a drop of 6 feet, which is about equivalent to an impact collision at about 13-15mph....I can not find empirical data breakdown of average speed and or type of accident, but I'm thinking MOST collision type are above 13mph...so there goes your protection aspect. I still say that helmets produce more severe brain damaged persons who require full-time long term health-care. The upside (in a very morbid sort of way) to helmet-less riders is they are more apt NOT survive accidents thus increasing the available organ donors, thus reducing the waiting time for others (although the lifestyle of some bikers may not produce any usable organs.. :shock:) We ride, we KNOW the risks, make it mandatory that every biker has their donor card filled out, take off the lid and have at 'er!! :D
I don't have a horse in the race but I did get a chuckle here. You decry helmet statistics and then site stats to **** and gone. :-D

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don't have a horse in the race but I did get a chuckle here. You decry helmet statistics and then site stats to **** and gone. :-D
If ya want me to site stats I have a whole butt load I can throw out. I should have been more precise... the number manipulation I was referring to (that I did not include ) are from the NHSTA, where as the health care state are from The National Center for Health Statistics.

Here's a short excerpt from a research article I did for one of my college courses..I can supply all the stats if you would like to check my reasoning..

Motorcycle Helmet Laws said:
As of 2007, there were over seven million motorcycles registered in the United States (National Highway Traffic, 2008 ). Among the owners of motorcycles, the use of helmets has been on the increase since 2005 (National Highway Traffic, 2007). During this same time period, the fatality rate per 100,000 registered vehicles remained virtually unchanged (National Highway Traffic, 2008 ). If one were to cross reference this data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), it would become apparent that even though the use of motorcycle helmets has increased, the expected increase in saved lives has not.
Kind of throws a monkey wrench into that "Helmet laws save lives" mentality... :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.