Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
to me, they look too lean (and too clean), or otherwise spark plug rating too hot.
Well, they've got less than 15 miles on them total. I can order some bigger main jets if that seems to be the problem?
Though i'm not quite sure if that'll solve the issue considering these same jets worked before? Which is why it would perplex me to it being lean.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
Well, this fixed a FEW issues seemingly; the main ones being the stuttering at low RPM is for sure gone, but i'm still having this mid/high-range problem where it seems to bog down.
And I still can't figure out why. I am considering taking the carbs off of the 1100 to see if I can use the Diaphragms from those on the 750.
Try giving it a little choke at the mid/high-range and see if it helps.If it does then something is keeping the full flow of fuel down.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's not a bad idea actually, lemme throw the sparkplugs back in and test out that real quick.
Okay, battery is dead apparently.
I ordered a battery tender (finally) and will have to do that when it comes in on Monday/Tuesday.
But that's the first thing imma do

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Alright, now it doesn't wanna start and I have a **** ton of gas coming out of my rear exhaust.
Which means i've potentially just washed my cyl walls, but wtf could that even mean.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
Make sure to turn your petcock off. It sounds like your float needle seat is leaking and filling up the cyclinder. It could fill your crankcase with gas. Your bike is probably flooded and won't start.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Make sure to turn your petcock off. It sounds like your float needle seat is leaking and filling up the cyclinder. It could fill your crankcase with gas. Your bike is probably flooded and won't start.
Man, this thing has just been one huge pain in the ass for the past 6 months.
I'll also give the bowl a couple of taps just incase the floats are stuck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Try giving it a little choke at the mid/high-range and see if it helps.If it does then something is keeping the full flow of fuel down.
Alright, after getting it running I tried this, and it didn't stop the bogging.
So it's not that it's not enough fuel getting to the carbs or cyl for sure.

I think at this point, i'll be looking at the ignition coils/wires? Cause I can't think of anything else at this point why it would be bogging down this hard at the midrange.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
Ohm your wires, check your resistance on your coils, possible pickup coil issue, check ground wires for corrosion, check the battery and charging system. Does it run full throttle before the bike is really heated up? You could have a heat related coil issue which is hard to find. Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ohm your wires, check your resistance on your coils, possible pickup coil issue, check ground wires for corrosion, check the battery and charging system. Does it run full throttle before the bike is really heated up? You could have a heat related coil issue which is hard to find. Good luck.
I'm replacing the wires with more OEM Specific ones tomorrow.

Gonna Ohm the coils soon, the ground wires I cleaned all fresh as much as I can, battery is fresh charged, the stator is fine and the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier was replaced with a Shindigen one a year or so ago and gives the bike 14.3V at peak revs.
I'm testing all of the electrical now since it's obvious that it can't be a carb issue anymore; I REALLY do appreciate you guys helping. It's hard finding people to bounce ideas off of through my friends when they have no idea anything motorcycle or mechanical related lol.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
At least when it is all said and done you will know what has been checked. Hopefully you will be up and rolling on a good dependable bike soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not even a few months old, and my coils were both reading above 5ohms. So i'm replacing them with new coils reading below 3ohms.

And one of my sparkplug boots (so far) had no ohm reading which means the resistor was broken.
Could be the problem, but idk quite yet.

It's crazy cause these are all new parts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ladies and Gentlemen.
We got him.

Two of the sparkplug boots had a resistor broken in it, replaced those, the coils, and the wires with OEM spec ones and now it works like a dream.
Which absolutely perplexes me since these were already relatively new parts in the first place.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ladies and Gentlemen.
We got him.

Two of the sparkplug boots had a resistor broken in it, replaced those, the coils, and the wires with OEM spec ones and now it works like a dream.
Which absolutely perplexes me since these were already relatively new parts in the first place.
Now my idle is all ****ed up xD
One problem after another, probably just need to step down my jets, cause using choke doesn't solve the problem and pushing my idle screws all of the way doesn't kill the engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Idk if this is appropriate to post on the same problem thread, but I also don't wanna open up another one.

But after getting the bike to run perfectly fine, I come back to see my bike leaking fuel and THIS.
Yes, that's ALL FUEL.
It was in my oil, my cyl, basically everywhere.

I have no idea what would've caused this

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Idk if this is appropriate to post on the same problem thread, but I also don't wanna open up another one.

But after getting the bike to run perfectly fine, I come back to see my bike leaking fuel and THIS.
Yes, that's ALL FUEL.
It was in my oil, my cyl, basically everywhere.

I have no idea what would've caused this
That sucks...
:(

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
Usually a sticking float valve will let the fuel just keep coming through. I shut my petcock every time I kill the engine. I have had that happen a couple of times when I didn't.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Or a blocked float bowl vent tube will cause that type of flooding...
That's the tube above the Carbs right?
I changed the position of it than normally, but just moving the tube otherwise wouldn't cause that right?

Usually a sticking float valve will let the fuel just keep coming through. I shut my petcock every time I kill the engine. I have had that happen a couple of times when I didn't.
I'll check those tonight, I have no idea why the float valves keep sticking like that cause that was an issue before as well when I had some fuel leaking from the rear exhaust. Anyway to stop them from sticking?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts