Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,260 Posts
That's the tube above the Carbs right?
I changed the position of it than normally, but just moving the tube otherwise wouldn't cause that right?

I'll check those tonight, I have no idea why the float valves keep sticking like that cause that was an issue before as well when I had some fuel leaking from the rear exhaust. Anyway to stop them from sticking?
Did you change the float needle valve and seat?

·
Registered
614 Posts
If the tube is now kinked or pinched off.. or otherwise blocked,,, it will build up pressure in the bowls and force fuel out through the various passages.

Also verify routing, people have mixed up the vent and fuel line hoses before....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Did you change the float needle valve and seat?
Nah, same items.
Only thing I did was clean.

If the tube is now kinked or pinched off.. or otherwise blocked,,, it will build up pressure in the bowls and force fuel out through the various passages.

Also verify routing, people have mixed up the vent and fuel line hoses before....
All tubes are in the proper spot, I did move the tube more out-of-the-way so I could get the airbox on easier, which might've done that??
But, it still wouldn't explain why the fuel just keeps coming in, especially at this rate.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If moving it simply kinked the hose,,, As for which hose fitting on the carbs is which, I'd have to check the shop manual to be sure. maybe the parts manual online, look at the fuel hoses, they have a pretty good exploded view. .

I've seen that exact flooding scenario on cars and bikes before, Get a few blocks, let off the gas, car dies, get it stopped, open hood , get air cleaner lid off and there is an inch of gas on top of the butterflies, that was the 1st time I ran into this. Looked for this intermittent trouble for something like 4 months, turned out the chrome air cleaner lid was a deep dish style, which then combined with Holley double pumper carbs no longer cutting the float bowl vent tubes at an angle, so the air cleaner lid was sitting directly on the float bowl vent tubes. tighten the air cleaner lid wing nut a bit too tight and you sealed off the vents. how quick/often all depended on just how tight you squeezed the lid down. That time I only discovered it by accident when I jumped out in a hurry to get the hood open and the air cleaner off and i dropped the air cleaner,, saw all these small ring marks on the underside in a circle, wondering what made those? looked at the carb and went ,, OH. That was decades ago on my 67 fastback Mustang with 302 in it, 4 speed and 9" limited slip under the back,

Seen the same trouble a dozen times since over the years. several times on Shadows. One had the vent tube under the bike hooked to the fuel pump vent so neither were vented, One had the wire bail holding the hose on the frame underneath bent up, pinching off the hose, maybe by a jack, mud dauber nests, misrouted,,,

Maybe hook up a fuel bottle or clear fuel line to the fuel inlet, hang it from the ceiling, garage door track, etc, let it fill the bowls, see if it floods. If it fills the bowls and the level stops dropping, and no flooding, I'd say the float needle and seat are ok. (carefully and with a fire extinguisher handy,,,) Got to start eliminating things one at a time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1100 turn out be a vacum piston needing changed out had a hole in the rubber, the vacum piston is in your carbs one on each side if it is a v twin. p.s. not a cheap part either, for my bike one was 122.00 and must be ordered, dont buy a after market one off amazon or ebay those are junk.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I had the same problem on my 1100 turn out be a vacum piston needing changed out had a hole in the rubber, the vacum piston is in your carbs one on each side if it is a v twin. p.s. not a cheap part either, for my bike one was 122.00 and must be ordered, dont buy a after market one off amazon or ebay those are junk.
Both rubbers didn't have holes in em. And it accelerates very well, I could get full speed on the bike.
I just let it sit overnight and then BAM.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts