Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,845 Posts
My weird but somehow productive technique is to use a C-Tek smartcharger once a month during storage. With no charger and a Spring boost from car my bike batteries were lasting 2-3 years. With a C-Tek smartcharger plugged in often my batteries were lasting 5 years. In 2012 I bought the Mighty Max for $50 and it was still OK but I decided to replace it last year. My Benz battery using the same procedure also lasted from 2015 to now.
No idea why but i am surely sticking to that procedure and just charge the stored batteries the first of every month.

· Registered
2005 Shadow Aero 750 Stage 2
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh appreciate you sharing your battery maintenance technique. This is my first cold season riding so still newbie. Have a little knowledge around the garage tho. Been wanting a bike for a long time but was going thru wife concern leakage. I could have solved the problem by doing a wife delete mod but opted out with the cheaper route by purchasing my bike when she was not home. So far so good... Be safe!

· Registered
503 Posts
I run the YTZ14S in Trinity. Installed it back in June 2022 to replace the YTZ12S. Cheap battery and should last at least 3-4 years with the Battery Minder I plug in to keep it topped off when not riding.

· Registered
503 Posts
Just the fact it has a higher amp hour rating of 11.2 vs 11.0. Though not much difference it might help with all the added electrucal stuff I have added to the bike like heated grips.
Or if I leave the aux lights on it might start with the bigger capacity battery if I catch it in time. Or if the alternator takes a dump I could run for longer off the bigger battery which might be the difference between getting home and getting towed.

The YTZ14S battery weighs about 8 oz more than the stock YTZ12S but the physical dimensions are identical. It fit in the bike fine.

Reactions: h13man
1 - 8 of 8 Posts