Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all:

Looks like I'm getting ready for a new set of tires on my '04 Spirit 1100. The stock tires are Dunlop 404's. The rear was replaced at 4000...the rear tire locks pretty easily during a panic stop...the front is original with just over 9000 miles.

If I can afford it, I'll look at the Metzler 880's, or a set of Avons.

What mileage should I expect from the stock tires? What should I expect from the Metzlers?

TIA....Baz

· Registered
192 Posts
I don't remember. I think it was about $290 mounted for both at the Stealer. I'd have to dig up my receipt.

The cost was more than what I expected but these Metzelers track SO well over the roads that it was worth it.

· Registered
859 Posts
I replaced my stock Dunlaps' 9480 miles(rear) and 13280 miles (front). My rear Meztler have 10,780 miles and needing to be replaced. The tread is at about 3/100th's. The front still looks good. Since I mount my own tires I was out of pocket about $280 for the two.

· Registered
23 Posts
WE have a little over 6000 miles on our '05 spirit,
I was surprised to find I need to repace the stock Dunlop K425 already.
Bought a set of Avon Venom's for front and rear $268 from local honda shop. Brian says I should expect to get 3 times mileage of stock.

· Banned
4,110 Posts
blassoff said:
Howdy all:

Looks like I'm getting ready for a new set of tires on my '04 Spirit 1100. The stock tires are Dunlop 404's. The rear was replaced at 4000...the rear tire locks pretty easily during a panic stop...the front is original with just over 9000 miles.

If I can afford it, I'll look at the Metzler 880's, or a set of Avons.

What mileage should I expect from the stock tires? What should I expect from the Metzlers?

TIA....Baz
Mine failed inspection at 7k miles. THANK GOD! They completely sucked.

· Registered
152 Posts
3300 on my stock dunlops.

they are below the allowed tread depth according to the sticker on the chainguard.

not impressed at ALL, got a set of meztler 880s here waiting to be mounted.

· Registered
235 Posts
I have an '04 Spirit 1100 and the cord was showing at 4500 miles on the original Dunlop rear tire. I replaced both tires with a set of Metzlers and have about 500 miles on them. I went with the wider 200 width on the rear. Cost for the tires was about $270 from Southwest Moto Tires. I think the tires are great, just hope I get a few more miles out of them

· Registered
612 Posts
concretecowboy said:
WE have a little over 6000 miles on our '05 spirit,
I was surprised to find I need to repace the stock Dunlop K425 already.
Bought a set of Avon Venom's for front and rear $268 from local honda shop. Brian says I should expect to get 3 times mileage of stock.

]
I went with the Avon Venoms the last time I switched tires. I love the way the grip the ''DRY'' roads, but I have noticed that the rear tire breaks loose of wet pavements easier that some of the others.
All in all though, I like my Avons.
Al

· Registered
57 Posts
I just bought the Metzler 880's for my SS750, the stock dunlop's have 8k on them.
The other reason I switched to Metzlers is......the shop near my house charges less for them than they do for the dunlop's, or bridgestone's. :lol:

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Changed my rear tire to e Metz at 8k. Have 17k on the stock Dunlop but it is bare now and should be replaced. I will go to Metz on the front too, at least if I own it much longer, it is for sale and I will suggest a Metz to the new owner because they have such a god reputation. My back Metz has done almost 10k now and there is no signs of any wear at all.

I am sold on the Metz and have been for my last 7 bikes.

Cheers

Dragoon

· Registered
871 Posts
I got 5,000 out of the rear and 10,000 out of the front. They were both stock dunlops and I did not like them. They both scalloped on the edges and I had front wobble. I bought the Metz 880's and think they are great.!

· Registered
57 Posts
Dragoon said:
Changed my rear tire to e Metz at 8k. Have 17k on the stock Dunlop but it is bare now and should be replaced. I will go to Metz on the front too

Dragoon
I've heard you should not mix-n-match front and rear tires. Density differences can cause one to grip the road harder than the other, and that can cause a crash :(

· Registered
884 Posts
I got just under 8k on my rear tire on my '99 ACE 750 when two nails (imagine the likelyhood of THAT happening at the same time) flattened the rear one. But, curves & turns & lane changes had become awkward and I had noticed that the tread was wearing thin & unevenly. So, I was grateful for the flat, even at 60 mph on the Interstate highway. Not a snowball's chance in the South Texas sun that I was going to just change ONE tire, so I did both.

The Metzler 880's ran under 200 at Cycle Gear (or cyclegear.com if you don't have a brick & mortar store in your location), & I had to get them mounted & balanced, but that was free because they messed up on that). The difference between the Metzlers & the Dunlops was amazing. I'm checking the tread daily like a little child asking "Are we there yet?" but at 5k miles on my Sabre, I've still got plenty of tread left & the bike still handles ok.

As a caveat about my ACE 750, I got it in late '01 with only 2k miles on it & it had been sitting for 2 years & had a rusted out fuel system. The bike had been garaged the whole time, parked on thick padded carpet, & never gone flat, so I don't know if it made a difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.