Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what kind of mileage people have on their 1100's. How long do they last before major issues start appearing? I've got 10,500.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its a Honda. They will fall apart long before an engine gives up. Maintenance? They keep running out of gas, oil gets dirty, bugs get splattered, tires loose rubber. Keep those under control, and ride on.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
98 Aero 37,000 miles
Notorious single pin guide plug leak at 35,000 miles, realitively easy fix

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
'96 VT1100 with 40,000+ miles on the clock. Replaced the fork seals around 30,000 miles. Replaced the stock (Dunlop) tire with a Metzler is a plus.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
'98 1100 Spirit - 37k miles,

New stator and rectifier @ about 33k Connector between them was fried when I bought the bike at 21k miles, and it never charged well - even after soldering the wires together elminating the connectors.

- DIY project with aftermarket parts (electrosport) about $300.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
56,400 on my 02 Spirit 1100...I am done waiting for it to break...because it will not happen. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
tone100 said:
How long do they last before major issues start appearing?
I had my 85 VT1100 a few years before one major issue started to appear. The Yuasa T-batteries started failing at an alarming rate, some lasted only eight months, just out of warrantee. Several dealers told me something was wrong with my bike, bring it in and they would charge me to check it out. I knew better. This is why the bike has only 46,000 miles on it. My Harleys, other Hondas, and Kawasakis have always been much more dependable than my Shadow.
My estimate is that I have spent well over 1,000 dollars on batteries for this bike, more than I have spent on tires. However, the last T-battery did last three years, but I was holding my breath every time I started it. For the past year, it has had the Yuasa AGM battery giving me much more confidence that it will start.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts