Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked me to do the Iron butt run from Seattle to Sacramento and back. He told me that his 600 honda racer gets 60mpg on the Interstate. I am getting 34-40 Mpg right now on my 1100 Sabre. Is this going to be a problem for us? and should my Mpg be higher?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Seems like your mileage should be a little better, but I just got my Shadow so I'm not sure. Even if you are getting 40 mpg, that shouldn't be a problem. You're going to want stop every 2-3 hours for stretch break. You can fill the bike and empty you at the same time.

Have you checked out the Iron Butt web site? They have lots of good info. I'm considering doing a trip around the Great Lakes this summer. Good luck if you do it!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
My 84 VT700c gets 51 city / 66 highway, with the 10% ethanol gasoline we have here my FUEL light comes on around every 112 miles if I'm easy on the throttle, and then I have around 20 miles of gas left before it goes dry.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
If you ride the way I do your mileage is about right. If you ride slow, without quick starts you probably should get better mileage. Calculate your MPG, know how much your tank holds and top off before you run out of fuel. You'll need to stop and take a break every couple of hours anyway, so you might as well fill up. That's what I do and it works for me. YMMV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I filled up my tank yesterday with 3.55 gal of gas. the reader said i got 136miles on that. 38Mpg

Taking a break would sound good for the both of us. I'll keep that in mind

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Just tell your friend that you are stopping every 100/125 miles for fuel and you'll be ok, or you can get one of those new small 1 gal gas can and carry that along with you, I have one and it fits in my saddlebag, I carry along when I'm riding somewhere I'm not sure on available gas..............

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Your mileage seems to be in the ballpark. Depending on what kind of engine mods you've made (mufflers or air filter) and kriding habits make alot of difference.
My '96 VT1100 gets around 42+ when riding at the posted speeds (55 to 65) but if I run it hard like out on the interstate, going 75-80 MPH, the mileage drops down quite a bit. I get as little as 36-38 MPG when riding two up on the interstate.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A friend asked me to do the Iron butt run from Seattle to Sacramento and back. He told me that his 600 honda racer gets 60mpg on the Interstate. I am getting 34-40 Mpg right now on my 1100 Sabre. Is this going to be a problem for us? and should my Mpg be higher?
Try using to seafoam before you go and see if that helps a bit. However my VT-1100 would get between 38 - 42 highway (70 - 80mph) and one time 52 while riding between 30 and 55 mph. I find it interesting and relieved that my 1854cc Liner gets the same gas mileage as my Shadow did.

Also; I'd be interested to hear who was more comfortable riding by the end of your trip.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Your mileage seems to be in the ballpark. Depending on what kind of engine mods you've made (mufflers or air filter) and kriding habits make alot of difference.
My '96 VT1100 gets around 42+ when riding at the posted speeds (55 to 65) but if I run it hard like out on the interstate, going 75-80 MPH, the mileage drops down quite a bit. I get as little as 36-38 MPG when riding two up on the interstate.
Same here.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

My bike is backwards from yours. Got a 95 1100 and it gets 46-48 at 55 but goes to 54 or better when I run 75-80 for an extended period. Got cobra pipes and a K&N air filter.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's probably a combination of the differences of state and local taxes and all the BS that's going on in the Middle East at the moment affecting oil prices.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's probably a combination of the differences of state and local taxes and all the BS that's going on in the Middle East at the moment affecting oil prices.
I dont think its any of that stuff I think that just what they tell us in order to stick it to us at the pump I recently found out I think its chile thats completly cut off from foreign oil by growing sugar beets and cain and converting them into fuel that can be used in any gas vechicle, and I know for a fact my grandpa has put some homemade moonshine in a car and burned it and it worked why dont we have people workin on that insted of stupid stuff like green lightbulbs

·
Registered
404 Posts
The problem with working on stuff like beets and shine for fuel is the same problem with ethanol. Using corn to make ethanol has increased the price of feed corn for farmers so beef and other food prices rise. Have you checked the price of a steak or hamburg now? Farmers get more for there crops to make ethanol than they do selling for food so it makes the food supply smaller and more expensive. Ethanol was the dumbest idea the government is forcing us to comply with and now it is costing us more in every aspect of our lives.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The problem with working on stuff like beets and shine for fuel is the same problem with ethanol. Using corn to make ethanol has increased the price of feed corn for farmers so beef and other food prices rise. Have you checked the price of a steak or hamburg now? Farmers get more for there crops to make ethanol than they do selling for food so it makes the food supply smaller and more expensive. Ethanol was the dumbest idea the government is forcing us to comply with and now it is costing us more in every aspect of our lives.
well that just another excuse by the goverment theres no need for ethier to go up we can import grain and sugar like everything else plus it can be below quality stuff like stalks and culls, theres always somebody gonna give an excuse to why not, but the fact is it works in chile very well

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is a link to the question you ask from a couple years ago
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-discussion/51786-gas-mileage-vt1100-spirit-1100-sabre-2.html
Looks like you should be at least in the mid 40's to 50mpg. Check tire pressures and tune up. Mileage most always goes down when you go above 60 mph

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Honda VT1100 Sabre only goes 93 miles maximum before I have to go to reserve. That's how much loss you get when you have one triked. LOL! Guess it's because of all the extras like the 15" rear tires and rear end it has to pull.

·
Registered
210 Posts
well that just another excuse by the goverment theres no need for ethier to go up we can import grain and sugar like everything else plus it can be below quality stuff like stalks and culls, theres always somebody gonna give an excuse to why not, but the fact is it works in chile very well
Only Chile doesn't have a bunch of Senators and Congressmen who are beholden to the brutishly powerful lobbies of the American Corngrowers Assn & Archer, Daniels, Midland.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts