Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, boredom set in today and I pulled out the bike and made a few long overdue adjustments. First thing I did was to take out and thumb through the Honda Shop Manual that the PO gave me recently. All I can say is WOW :shock:. Everyone is right, that manual is fantastic. I also have the Clymer book and the Haynes electronic version. But the Honda Manual will be first everytime.

So, I adjusted the idle down to spec, 1,000 r.p.m. +- 100. Huge difference from the 1,500 r.p.m. that it was idling.

Next, I horsed the right grip back on. They are aftermarket foam grips. It had slipped down about two inches and was looking pretty sad. Soaked it with some hot water and commenced to twisting back and forth until I had it back where it should be.

Then, I checked the fluid in the front brake and clutch reservoirs. The clutch fluid level was fine but the brake needed some fluid added. A quick trip to the Autozone and I had the required DOT4 fluid. The tricky part was getting the reservoir close to level so that I could fill it and get the rubber back on properly. I broke the brake lever assembly loose and that pretty much did the trick. Got it reassembled and tested it out.

The last thing that I did is to adjust the handlebars back. This bike has Buckhorn bars and they were sticking up alot (read; set very forward). Absolutely kills my back on longer rides. I loosened the four allenhead bolts and pulled the bars back to where they are just missing the gas tank while sitting still. Tightened everything, put the tools away and mounted up to go for a test ride.

Missed one very important thing, the mirrors needed to be majorly readjusted. Shut the machine down, pulled the helmet off and got an allen wrench. Adjusted the lever assemblies but then the mirrors needed to be loosened at the heads and adjusted. So, finally got that done, took her for a ride and all is well.

Now, me and the Cap'n are having a discussion about relaxation. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
May I recommend the NGK Iridium plugs, sir?
+1

NGK box #7803...DPR7EIX.

$6.49 at Advanced Auto/Oreily Auto parts.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O.k., got the order canceled. Great people to deal with, Rockauto.com. Anyway, now looking for the Iridium plugs. Best I found is $6.99 x 4 + $2.46 shipping. Am also waiting to see if Rock Auto has them. Should be receiving an email back soon. Great suggestion. I totally forgot about these.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Dude, got mine for $6.99 each from a local Advance Auto Parts. Had to order them, but they came in the next day. You will really appreciate the difference in the plugs.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Rock Auto NGK#7803 $6.87 ea. I paid $2.50 shipping but used a 5% discount code (not much but every little bit helps)

my order total <$29

Current discount code
Your RockAuto discount code 45588512838397 will expire on February 27, 2011.

If you or anyone you know is thinking of doing some vehicle repair, now's the time to order the parts!

Taking advantage of this discount opportunity is easy! Simply enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
OH yes, have 4 sitting in a box with all the other goodies to add to my bike, Including a VTX head light that just came in, Going to be a good summer, Just need it to warm up a little to put all this stuff on.

Dauntae

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rock Auto NGK#7803 $6.87 ea. I paid $2.50 shipping but used a 5% discount code (not much but every little bit helps)

my order total <$29

Current discount code
You rock. Thank you thank you thank you. I just ordered 4 Iridium plugs. $6.20 each (with discount code) and $2.48 shipping. That is great. I love it when a plan comes together. Thanks again for posting. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What the deal with these plugs?
One of the better advantages is that this is probably the last set of plugs that I'll buy for this bike. These plugs are touted to run 100,000+ miles.

A few quotes from websites:

NGK Iridium IX spark plugs provide unsurpassed performance in auto/light truck and powersports applications. The iridium alloy electrode is extremely durable to heat, corrosion and electrical wear. The fine wire electrode reduces the amount of energy required to create a spark while providing increased ignition efficiency and superior ignitability. The center electrode of Iridium IX spark plugs has an extra anti-fouling mechanism. A thermo edge between the center electrode and the insulator nose provides a gap for a secondary micro-discharge to jump and initiate a self-cleaning process.
Amsoil.com

NGK is a highly trusted brand among spark plug manufacturers, to the extent that the vast majority of automakers today choose to equip their cars and trucks with NGK spark plugs as original equipment. The Iridium IX is a good example of how well-sorted a modern iridium spark plug can be, with the small-diameter iridium electrode offering powerful yet controlled spark. This results in a more thorough ignition, and can reduce or eliminate surging and other ignition-related engine problems. As with many other high-tech modern spark plugs, the NGK Iridium IX is a low-maintenance design that you can install and forget, though it is prudent to check the condition of the spark plugs every once in a while. Though the NGK Iridium IX spark plugs are designed to last and perform well throughout their life, the high price tag is something to consider.
Bestcovery.com

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200°(F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, NGK has favored platinum for their long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point. However platinum alone is no longer enough, ultra long life spark plugs and smaller center electrodes required harder and stronger precious metals. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium makes it very well suited for a fine wire plug and for ultra long life spark plugs. Though better, iridium's not perfect, it is very expensive, and at higher temperatures it oxides, thus rendering pure iridium as an expensively poor choice for spark plug construction. However when blended with other precious metals such as Yttria, Rhodium or Platinum, you can enhance those metals advantages with the superior strength and hardness of Iridium. DO NOT BE FOOLED, all iridium plugs are not the same. Iridium content varies, some other brands of iridium plugs are priced lower, (usually due to lower iridium content). They likely will not perform or last as long as a genuine NGK iridium spark plug.
ngk.com

·
Registered
515 Posts
You rock. Thank you thank you thank you. I just ordered 4 Iridium plugs. $6.20 each (with discount code) and $2.48 shipping. That is great. I love it when a plan comes together. Thanks again for posting. :mrgreen:
You are welcome, just trying to help out and be a positive member of this online community. Hope the plugs work out, I love mine - they really have made a difference in cold weather startups.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
You are welcome, just trying to help out and be a positive member of this online community. Hope the plugs work out, I love mine - they really have made a difference in cold weather startups.
Not that it's really an issue since he LIVES IN FLORIDA, the rotten Bastage...;)

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
O.k., ordered 4 NGK DPR7EIX-9 Iridium plugs from Rock Auto on Tuesday. They shipped Wednesday from Sacramento, CA and just arrived today. Great service.

I'm looking forward to installing this weekend and seeing the difference. Can't speak highly enough about RockAuto.com. They cancelled my first order without ever charging my card and then delivered these four plugs in three days for the cost of $2 and change.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts