Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 vlx 600 and while riding I noticed I was getting close to 120 miles which is my limit on gas, I reach down to flip it to reserve and it wasn't there. I made it to the house and when I looked the fuel shutoff / reserve valve knob is missing. you know, the thing that says "reserve" , "on" or "off". The chrome knob and the shaft that attaches to the valve is missing. It must have just fallen off while riding. Has this ever happened to anyone? I'm looking for a replacement, but no luck yet. I'm thinking I might have to make something out of a water facet handle.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
It's possible that the screw that holds it vibrated loose or something.

I looked it up at ronayers.com and the part number is 16963-MR1-000 and they are selling it for $18.12. You might also need the screw which is 90020-KV3-000 $1.84.

You can also look that part number up to see who else is selling it and see if you can get it for a little less.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yup, same thing. Went down to the local recycle junk store and bought a plastic knob for $0.10, filed the opening square and put it on with a new screw. I was going to use a spigot handle but could not find the old brass single arm type so this is what was used....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link endy, I'll check it out. Dave that picture looks like it was taken under you sink not your bike ;) but I do like the idea of an old brass knob, I'm going to look around and see if I can find something cool to recycle (get it, re-cycle). If not then I'll use dave's link. Thanks guys, I knew I couldn't be the only one this happened to. I just feel sorry for whoever was behind me when it came off, I don't remember any wrecks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up making my own using a brass rod and a spigot knob. I cut the knob to look like the biohazard logo on my bike.
Before

New Knob

After

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I just need to figure out where "off" , "reserve" and "on" are.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
well **** thats very bad asz - that looks so f'in awsome - nice little mod there !!!! fook its better then what was there i think

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I've ridden almost a week now and it hasn't fallen off, so that's a plus. Any suggestion on the On, reserve and off positions? I've been paranoid and just try to keep the tank full. There's 3 notches: up, middle and down. If you're looking straight at it and turn it clockwise. I have it in the middle now, so that's either on or reserve.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Thanks, I've ridden almost a week now and it hasn't fallen off, so that's a plus. Any suggestion on the On, reserve and off positions? I've been paranoid and just try to keep the tank full. There's 3 notches: up, middle and down. If you're looking straight at it and turn it clockwise. I have it in the middle now, so that's either on or reserve.
If it's like mine: Up is Reserve, Middle is OFF and Down is On.

Reserve

OFF

ON

~Mark

·
Registered
11,160 Posts
I ended up making my own using a brass rod and a spigot knob. I cut the knob to look like the biohazard logo on my bike.
Before

New Knob

After

I like yours alot. Very nice. I went with a little different type....

·
Registered
247 Posts
On my bike, 97 VLX600, the petcock body is marked with the On, Reserve, and Off positions??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts