Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I've got great life insurance. My wife can never work again if I go down...probably why she tailgates me ;).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
This is very hypothetical. But, the best thing that could happen is if you do go down, is that you stay down. No clue what kind of coverage or insurance you have. I always worry, what if I survive, but can't work ever again? Now I'm a useless sack of meat that needs taking care of. I just can't bear the thought of putting my wife through something like that.

This is very hypothetical. But, the best thing that could happen is if you do go down, is that you stay down. No clue what kind of coverage or insurance you have. I always worry, what if I survive, but can't work ever again? Now I'm a useless sack of meat that needs taking care of. I just can't bear the thought of putting my wife through something like that.

Which is why I have great disability insurance as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Sounds like you need hamster ball not a helmet :D joking.. ;) ..But.. :neutral: seriously.. A friend of mine (as kids) he was riding his bicycle down the road, the car in front of him slams on his brakes, my friend goes headfirst into the back of that car.. They drilled holes in his head to relieve the pressure, he was on a ventilator, poor little git died 3 times and they had to go to all the trouble of reviving him... A Lot..

Life is risk.. Literally, that's why they have insurance to limit that risk..

On a motorcycle you have your head, which, yes, is nice to keep pretty and intact, but impact to your helmet doesn't stop your brain from being punched into a bloody pulp as it bounces around inside your skull.. Then you have a spine (if you are lucky), which can snap very easily when you consider the forces involved of being caterpulted off your steed, twisting and rolling at high speeds down the road... Not good.. Especially if your bike is nice enough to dance with you during a high-side..

Look at Christopher Reeve. Fell off his horsie! .. Times those forces by a LOT ... So, like I say.. Luck plays into it a great deal and any kind of impact during a get-off and you are gonna be hurting for some time.. Unfortunately ..Usually ..there's impact..

Honestly.. Sounds like you need to talk to a decent insurance rep.. If you value your bike.. Insure it, if you value your ass.. I'd insure that too.. Because the risks are there that you could be seriously hurt in a get off - helmet or no.. ;)

I never said helmets don't protect. States are using faulty, directed studies to justify helmet laws. I wonder if there was ever a study done on fractures necks due to helmets.
I think states, like with seatbelts, made the law to protect people from themselves. They really don't need stats to prove a helmet is safer than no helmet in my opinion...again it's common sense. People argue that seatbelts should be choice, not law. If every action that only effected a single person (theoretically) was not illegal...then drugs, suicide, helmets, seatbelts, etc and so on would have to be legal. But part of governments job is to protect, I'm sorry, dumb people from themselves. Because when you think it should be a choice because it's a victimless crime...they usually effect more than just yourself. Getting way too political now so I'm out...

Well this thread went as predicted.

That link is from 2013. The bill passed. One of two times it passed recently. The governor vetoed it (A passed bill is not a law until it's signed). Unsure if there was an attempt to override the veto but likely not enough of a supermajority to do so anyway.

It's a dance that happens when a seat comes up. Congresspersons throw up a bill to appease a lobby or group of voters they they know full well won't become a law. Gov. Nixon has promised to veto any law that allows riders to go helmet-less. Period. So while the current governor is in office any bill doing the same is simply a waste of our time as taxpayers. Just fluff to get in the news.

Interestingly, both times this was originally going on I saw helmet-less riders in my area. Probably heard on the news a headline to the effect of "House passes bill allowing..." and, since they didn't pay attention in the 3rd grade; they thought that meant they can go without their helmet! (For a refresher; first passes House, then has to pass Senate. Then on Governors desk to be signed, vetoed, or ignored. Signed, it becomes law. Vetoed, it can go back for a vote and if it passes both houses by 2/3rds it becomes a law without the need for the Governors signature. So don't get too excited when the headlines exclaim that the bill passes the House. It probably will again and again and again. But it won't get past our current Governors desk).

One thing I've never understood is how my neighbor can get on his 50cc scooter and head to the store with no helmet, no motorcycle license, no insurance and no tag, but if I take my motorcycle to the same store I have to have all the before mentioned items. Now I understand the license, ins, and tags but he can run all around town without a helmet why shouldn't I be able too? Is it not just as dangerous for him? I would think more so, his scooter is smaller thus making him less visible. And one mite say well he can only go 30, but yet he's going down the same road I am that is marked 45 mph.
Anyway, I am a helmet wearer, but I would like to just be able to run up to the parts store without it if I so desired. But yea, this all is probably a moot point.

Great verse Romans5.8 BTW

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.