Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got a 96 VT1100 with some Cobra pipes. They were great at first, but now they are just a bit too "tinny" for me. Not TINY, but having the sound of huge hail hitting a tin roof. I'd love to get a set of Hard Kromes, but they only make them for 97 and up 1100's. What is so different from 96 to 97 and up? From all the pictures and YouTube stuff I've seen; my bike looks exactly the same as the 97's. :?:

·
Registered
12,291 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure, but if the ACE is the one that has the huge front and rear fenders, it's not mine. Mine is the one that has the Duck tail style rear fender. Owners manual says 1996 VT1100C. I've been drooling over those **** HK Strippers.....haha no pun intended.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Yep, you have a "Spirit" before it was called such.

One option for you would be to add these to your Cobra pipes; it makes them sound less "blatty" and a little more "throaty":

Smartpartz.com - Hard Kore Baffles

Or, again, you could install stockers, which might set you back to near noise-less, if that is how you want to go.

I despise Cobra pipes. I have yet to hear a set on any bike that I like.

Other options include Vance and Hines:

Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems

They are a GREAT pipe for Honda's, though many will tell you they are LOUD, which they are...but, they can be baffled down as well.

Rifle:

Big Guns Exhaust System for Honda('87-'96) VT1100C Drag Style

Don't know much about the Rifle product, to be honest, whether they are slip-ons or a complete system; the price, though is pretty damm good.

Then you have the MAC pipes:

Mac Performance - performance accessories for cars, trucks, and motorcycles

I had MAC's on my '83 VT750C - again, loud but not overly obnoxious. Still kinda "blatty", but NOTHING like the crappy Cobra's.

Options for your bike are limited. Try the SmartPartz baffles first, IMO. We put them in my brother's '03 VT750 ACE that has the Cobra's on them and they sound MUCH better. More "throaty", less "tinny". NM Shadowman put them in his Spirit 750 and so far I think he likes them. I will PM him and ask his to comment on this post.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
SgtRage,
Yes, you can fit the exhaust system from an ACE on your Spirit, I've done it. I had the system made for an ACE on my '96 Spirit and the only difference was the rear mount for the mufflers that comes off the frame. It needs to be cut and rewelded for the system to fit. There's about an inch difference between the muffler brackets.
I now have the stock exhaust system from an '02 on my bike now and it's a perfect fit because it came with the muffler bracket, so I didn't have to do any mods to install it.
So that seems to be the only difference in any of the exhaust systems is that rear muffler bracket that goes to the frame.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have Hard Krome exhaust that were just too loud for me so I installed Hard Kore Baffles and they toned down the exhaust enough to satisfy me. The pipes still have the nice deep throaty sound but not nearly as loud as they were. The baffles are made specific for each model of pipes so be sure to contact Hard Kore and provide your make and model of pipes and they will be sure you get the right ones to fit your pipes. Installation was not as easy as they make it sound but I still did it in a few hours and glad I did. I'm not sure how to add the link for Hard Kore but Markspike should be able to help you on that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I personally have the Rifle Shotgun style pipes on my 92 vt1100; got a great price on clearance and very good quality...seems they are thicker walled than most if I remember right from the site. Have removable baffles too. They have the shotguns and drag style still listed on the site for '87-'96 vt1100's

·
Registered
63 Posts
SgtRage,
Yes, you can fit the exhaust system from an ACE on your Spirit, I've done it. I had the system made for an ACE on my '96 Spirit and the only difference was the rear mount for the mufflers that comes off the frame. It needs to be cut and rewelded for the system to fit. There's about an inch difference between the muffler brackets.
I now have the stock exhaust system from an '02 on my bike now and it's a perfect fit because it came with the muffler bracket, so I didn't have to do any mods to install it.
So that seems to be the only difference in any of the exhaust systems is that rear muffler bracket that goes to the frame.
was the exhaust made for a 96 ACE? Just wondering because someone needs a set of pipes for a 96 Spirit and I have a set for a 96 ACE. thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts