Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want to see if you who have after market pipes think it was worth the money or investment ? And if so....what kind of pipes do you recommend ? I am leaning towards Screaming eagles.

I have a stock exhaust...except I drilled out the baffles on the end....got a lot more exhaust note, but would like to get more sound & maybe even a bit of HP out of it.

Thanks;)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I have V&H pipes on my 03 Shadow Spirit 750 DC and they Look good and sound Good.**** I have a set of stockers here that I dont even know what they sound lite as I bought the Bike with the Pipes on it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an '03 750 Shadow Spirit.....and like I said, I drilled out the baffles on the stock pipes...but I'd like more sound & HP if it comes with after market pipes.

So is there any better HP gains from Vance & Hines...over the Cobra...over the Screaming Eagles ???

Just wondering ?

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I bought them.....But only because I really could not look at the stock pipe on the V star 1300...Then one thing led to another..Pipes..then Cobra EFI2000 then becasue I did not like the bulbous plastic chrome aircleaner...I bought a Thunder Air kit...all asthetic changed with FUNCTION....Increased HP a little and doesn't sound like a Singer sewing machine anymore.

Went from this

to this

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Screamin' Eagles are a made for Harley's and unless you plan to do some kind of modification, they won't just slip on. I just sold a pair of them because they were too loud (for me) on my 1100.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Screamin' Eagles are a made for Harley's and unless you plan to do some kind of modification, they won't just slip on. I just sold a pair of them because they were too loud (for me) on my 1100.

Oh yes your right about that....But I have a friend that had an exhaust on a 1100....sounded awesome ! He did pay quite a bit more for the install tho.

If I were to get Cobra or Vance & Hines pipes are they just a straight bolt on ? Also you will need to get the Carb re-Jetted right ?

I figure it just might be better to let a shop do this. Anybody know what is involved in re-jetting a carb ?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
my bike had Hard Krome American Classic Straights installed when I bought it. Love the look but they were a little too loud for me so I installed Hard Kore Baffles. Now they look great and sound great, without being too loud for the neighbors.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
This summer, I decided to get loud so last week, I put away the stock exhausts and mounted a Cobra Slash Cut exhausts with baffles. They sound really great, low deep bassy tone but hardly no addition to HP.

Here they are installed. The stock pipes are on my sig photo.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
when i had my 750DC Spirit, I went with the cobras (see below). definitely do a rejet. the bike sounded great.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Anybody know what is involved in re-jetting a carb?

Take off carbs. Remove bowls, intall new jets. Take off top CV covers install new needles. Re set pilot jets to 2.5-3 turns out. Reinstall carbs. Done.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anybody know what is involved in re-jetting a carb?

Take off carbs. Remove bowls, intall new jets. Take off top CV covers install new needles. Re set pilot jets to 2.5-3 turns out. Reinstall carbs. Done.

**** Carlson.....I wish you were closer to me...I'd pay you for the re-jetting rather than a shop.....Sounds like you've done a few before.

I'm not as mechanically inclined as some of you peeps. Sure I can use a wrench from time to time...but anything in depth I leave to professionals.

Looks like I will continue my search for pipes.

Thanks to everyone for their input & advice so far.:-D

·
Registered
839 Posts
my bike had Hard Krome American Classic Straights installed when I bought it. Love the look but they were a little too loud for me so I installed Hard Kore Baffles. Now they look great and sound great, without being too loud for the neighbors.
Love my Hard Krome American Classic pipes, Bet you would two (I run no baffles), F the neighbors! LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES !

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
yeah i just put HKs on my vt1100. like them a lot. baffles in though. they're plenty enough loud.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
There's alot of difference between makes of after market exhaust as is the difference between brands and sizes of bikes you put them on. For instance, the Shadow 750, ACE 1100, and 1300 VTX all sound great with louder exhaust because of the single pin crank design of the engine.
Now take the same exhaust and put them on an 1100 Spirit or 1800 VTX and they are not only loud but they can be annoying at higher RPMs because of the dual pin crank design of the engine.
I noticed this when riding with others in our group who own all the different models of Shadows and VTXs. The dual pin crank engines sound like John Deere tractors at idle and the single pin crank engines sound alot like Harleys at idle, so that make a big difference in the sound with louder exhaust on them.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
there's alot of difference between makes of after market exhaust as is the difference between brands and sizes of bikes you put them on. For instance, the shadow 750, ace 1100, and 1300 vtx all sound great with louder exhaust because of the single pin crank design of the engine.
Now take the same exhaust and put them on an 1100 spirit or 1800 vtx and they are not only loud but they can be annoying at higher rpms because of the dual pin crank design of the engine.
I noticed this when riding with others in our group who own all the different models of shadows and vtxs. The dual pin crank engines sound like john deere tractors at idle and the single pin crank engines sound alot like harleys at idle, so that make a big difference in the sound with louder exhaust on them.
+100

·
Registered
578 Posts
No personal experience, I also am contemplating aftermarket pipes, but I've read on this forum that the 2 crank pin design of the 1100 doesn't really get that better sound with after market pipes or drilling out baffles. the 750 motor lends itself better to after market pipes. Any opinions? I have an 1100 and was thinking of the HArd Kromes and getting the aforementioned baffles for them?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
No personal experience, I also am contemplating aftermarket pipes, but I've read on this forum that the 2 crank pin design of the 1100 doesn't really get that better sound with after market pipes or drilling out baffles. the 750 motor lends itself better to after market pipes. Any opinions? I have an 1100 and was thinking of the HArd Kromes and getting the aforementioned baffles for them?
well you have some misinformation actually. not all 750s are single pin and not all 1100s are dual. for instance, the newer 750s are dual-pin, while 1100 ACEs and 1100 Aeros are single pin. basically when Harley sued, Honda was forced to change the design on the bigger twins.

i've had both a single-pin 750 spirit and now a dual-pin 1100 spirit. the single-pin with nice A/M pipes does have a "harley-esque" sound, but not exactly. and the sound is mostly noticeable at idle. Potato Potato. Potato.

as many will say and I agree, if you want your bike to sound like a Harley, just get a Harley and be done with it.

I like the deeper tone of the HKs on my 1100 Spirit plenty fine. but it doesn't sound like a Harley and I didn't expect it to.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts