Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are pros/cons to modulators and HIDs. I know some people don't like modulators, but I've decided I do. That being said, I wanted to get the best of both worlds. This idea was mentioned here, but the topic went a little off-track and didn't get into the technical details, which is why I'm creating a new post.

I think this setup may be possible by using a Low HID / high halogen bulb, such as this one, and a modulator that works on only the high-beam (such as the Comagination or the Kisan.)

From the HID manufacturer's website, there are three types of bulbs to choose from: (1) Single beam, (2) Low HID / high halogen, and (3) Bi Xenon.
- The single beam has no high beam.
- The low HID / high halogen has a HID bulb for the low beam and a halogen bulb for the high beam.
- The Bi Xenon bulb has a HID bulb that moves inward for high beam, so both the high and low beams are HID.
However, I read on another site:
the High portion of the High/Low bulb is NOT used for high beam driving as it will never point straight ahead. Its just for passing inspection.
I'm not sure if that is accurate or matters because I would be using the high-beam with modulator during the day to increase visibility, not to see.

I've attached a diagram from the HID manufacturer. It looks like I could just add the modulator as normal to the high-beam wire either before the harness (so splicing into factory wire), or splice into the HID wire harness.

Any thoughts on if this setup? Has anyone tried this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Well having run HID's on both my bikes all this year, i can say the modulator isnt needed, IMHO. If they cant see the bike in the first place, nothing will help.

Now, to your link, thats a VERY confusing product and me thinks a victim of translation and not actually what you think it is. Yea, part of it says stuff to make you think its a dual element type bulb, but other parts use them interchangeably.

But the wiring diagram makes more sense and i hope for that price you get what you think you are getting.

I stand by the fact that the modulator is more gimicky than anything. A properly adjusted BRIGHT headlight will serve both purposes without needing to switch from Low to High. Also that bit about the light not pointing straight is bull, maybe on a car with dual units or specially design reflector housings, but on a bike, it all points forward.

Either way, good luck and i hope its not a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have the comagination modulater, however I rewired it to work on low beam only. I don't see any reason to annoy other motorists any more than neccesary and I drive on low beams already. It's a simple reversal and instructions are included with the kit. HID's are not neccesary, go with a silverstar bulb and save some money.

Dingo.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Actually... a HID kit is less than a Silverstar lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'm still trying to decide what to do because I've found some more information - if you use a HID light without a HID projector (special housing), you blind other drivers. If I decided to go the projector route, I could either try to retrofit one into the normal headlight housing, or I can buy a completely pre-made sealed unit, like this one. I then found yet another option - a LED headlight (not just a LED bulb), like this Philips one.

Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
if you use a HID light without a HID projector (special housing), you blind other drivers.
No, its a fallacy. The HID blub changes nothing about the reflector its in, only the light output.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Sigh... you cannot replace the stock lamp with a different reflector, unless you buy a new housing made for that specific bulb.

Ive done the work, the research and the testing and i dont understand why people wont just go with a 35W HID for $29.99 and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Dunno.
Haven't put a lotta time & research into it.

But it sure works good for firehawk....enough better than factory that I am convinced.And he made no mention of changing reflectors to get it to work.

My personal opinion of HID is too harsh, makes me flash my brights at that annoying glare, bad color rendering, and sux more juice than LED.

Nah. Not for me.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the comagination modulater, however I rewired it to work on low beam only. I don't see any reason to annoy other motorists any more than neccesary and I drive on low beams already. It's a simple reversal and instructions are included with the kit. HID's are not neccesary, go with a silverstar bulb and save some money.

Dingo.
+1. Ihave had a headlight modulator..and brake light flasher for a couple of years...I am a big believer...both easy installs.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Dunno.
Haven't put a lotta time & research into it.
Whats to research? Others have done it including me.

But it sure works good for firehawk....enough better than factory that I am convinced.And he made no mention of changing reflectors to get it to work.
Who? There is nothing to change, as ive said over and over in these threads, an H4 bulb is an H4 bulb. The style of light output (halogen, xenon etc) doesnt dictate how the light is scattered by the reflector, only how much is illuminated vs. the other bulbs.

My personal opinion of HID is too harsh, makes me flash my brights at that annoying glare,
That 'glare' is from projectors.

bad color rendering,
Rendering? Its not a LCD panel?

and sux more juice than LED.
In this thread is a whopping 5W difference in output? LED's that size draw some considerable amperage vs. their counterparts in your phone and car radio displays.

Nah. Not for me.
Just my opinion.
Thats cool, no one is making you do one thing or another :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts