Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched over to Shell Rotella 15W-40. Engine noise to me at this point is excessive. When it first starts it sounds fine. Normal. After riding a bit and stopping. tick tick tick tick tick tick This is about to do my head in. Took her to a mechanic who mainly sells Harleys out of his shop. "Awww, son that's normal. You think that's loud? You should hear some Harley's etc. etc."
Normal sounding my azz. It has never sounded like that before. Yeah, first chance I get I'm changing the oil. I've checked the levels on the dipstick (many times). I was reading somewhere that someone suggested reducing the amount of oil. Well it's sitting somewhere in between the lines atm. And most of what I read about Rotella is that it should be having the opposite effect. It should be quiter. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this? I would appreciate any advice. And I've never heard this kind of noise before with the other oils I was using. I'm on the verge of running Yamalube through it. :|

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i've heard of many people using Rotella and they seem happy with it. My dad uses it in his Yamaha Venture. I don't know why or what the tickin' sound is.

and yeah... just so you know.. yamaha don't make oil. they just put their name on it.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Hang on, the ticking sound is with the engine off?

That's the engine cooling! Even your car does that.

There's only one solution: don't stop riding.

--Justin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm grasping at straws here. I haven't had a chance to change the oil yet. Harley guy is telling me it's the Rotella and the ticking is normal. I'm gonna change the oil again first chance I get and see if it clears up. If not then I may have another problem. I don't know what that problem could be. I'm only hearing this after getting on it and riding it for a bit. I come off the highway and hit the lights. I can hear it setting at the light idling. Sometimes it's worse than others. I was reading somewhere on another forum someone had a similar problem and it was a head gasket. I'm at a loss here atm.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
My '04 Spirit 11 hated Rotella oil.
It rattled, knocked, and ticked when it never did before. I dumped the Rotella dino oil with less than 300 miles on it and went to Spectro. The motor went right back to silent.

Now, my 2000 Venture loves all of the Rotella line, dino or synthetic they all work well in the big V4.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hang on, the ticking sound is with the engine off?

That's the engine cooling! Even your car does that.

There's only one solution: don't stop riding.

--Justin
By stopping I mean at lights and such. Pulling into my driveway. Pulling into a parking spot at work etc. It sounds like lifter noise.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My '04 Spirit 11 hated Rotella oil.
It rattled, knocked, and ticked when it never did before. I dumped the Rotella dino oil with less than 300 miles on it and went to Spectro. The motor went right back to silent.

Now, my 2000 Venture loves all of the Rotella line, dino or synthetic they all work well in the big V4.
Hmmm, I'm hoping it's just the Rotella. Seriously hoping. Got other stuff I'm working on this bike atm. And I ride this bike every day. It's my horse.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Go back to what you usually use, its sounds like your lifters may be making noise.
maybe your not getting good flow to the top end with that oil, what are the temps like there. did you use the same brand oil filter you normally use.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Was running Mobil 1 or Valvoline 10W-40 and Fram or WIX oil filters. This time around it was Rotella 15W-40 and a WIX filter. And yeah will try running the 10W-40 back through it in a few days and see what happens.

Oh and as of late it's been rather cool with a slight chance of earthquakes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I recently switched over to Shell Rotella 15W-40. Engine noise to me at this point is excessive. When it first starts it sounds fine. Normal. After riding a bit and stopping. tick tick tick tick tick tick This is about to do my head in. Took her to a mechanic who mainly sells Harleys out of his shop. "Awww, son that's normal. You think that's loud? You should hear some Harley's etc. etc."
Normal sounding my azz. It has never sounded like that before. Yeah, first chance I get I'm changing the oil. I've checked the levels on the dipstick (many times). I was reading somewhere that someone suggested reducing the amount of oil. Well it's sitting somewhere in between the lines atm. And most of what I read about Rotella is that it should be having the opposite effect. It should be quiter. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this? I would appreciate any advice. And I've never heard this kind of noise before with the other oils I was using. I'm on the verge of running Yamalube through it. :|
Just as an FYI: many of us (o.k., I'll just speak for myself) use Rotella T6 which is a 5w40 full synthetic. It quieted my bike and made shifting smoother as well. I can not speak to what base stock the 15w40 is or how it works in our bikes. The T6 (5w40) works great from my experience.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just as an FYI: many of us (o.k., I'll just speak for myself) use Rotella T6 which is a 5w40 full synthetic. It quieted my bike and made shifting smoother as well. I can not speak to what base stock the 15w40 is or how it works in our bikes. The T6 (5w40) works great from my experience.
I may try the T6 and see if it makes any difference. Didn't really want to run synthetic in it, but if it helps that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm in agreement! You ride enough and are sensitive to various component sounds and performance. T6 synth really made a difference on my 2007 VT750 C2 with shifting and quietness. You may already had an underlying problem before oil change. Try another opinion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in agreement! You ride enough and are sensitive to various component sounds and performance. T6 synth really made a difference on my 2007 VT750 C2 with shifting and quietness. You may already had an underlying problem before oil change. Try another opinion.
Yeah, the bike is coming up on 28,000 miles. I hope it's not an underlying problem that has just manifested itself after the recent oil change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have just run into this myself. I changed the oil with Valvoline 10W-40 MC oil last week, and got the dreaded ticking the next day, very loud when hot and at idle. I have a coworker who is a certified MC mechanic and he suggested going to a 20W-50 oil with a touch of Lucas oil stabilizer in the mix. He runs this all the time in his 750 ACE and never has any noise issues. I have since done this, and the tick is gone.

And yes, he has said Honda V Twins do make this noise with the thinner oil, but it does no harm to the engine other than annoys the rider.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
This is why I ignor any mention of brandname when research best oil. I know that identicle vehicles can react very differently to a given oil. Maybe your bike doesn't like rotella, maybe just that grade Rotella. Try different weight or brand. Use what work, on your bike, NOT what works on some other forum users bike.

Now is you idle too low. Because the lifters will tick more if it is set too low. Is oil overfilled or too low???? Was bike on the Centerstand when level was checked? I know you don't have one, so was bike verticle?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go 15w40 in that engine. I run 10w30 and it runs great. I know Harleys call for heavier weights but these aren't Harleys...

Also, one other thing to consider is that an exhaust leak (from the head) makes a distinct ticking sound. Just throwing that out there, may or may not apply to you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My 88 shadow has always ticked slightly no matter the oil that is in it. But for years never had any problem from it

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I never use any synth. or semi-synth. oils, just mineral oil..most people disagree with me but I don't have problems..As far as I can tell synthetic oils contain scrubbing agents that clean the sludge off your engine and keep it as new looking inside as possible, I have also heard they contain teflon in small quantities, I can't see why you would want to put a non-stick agent on a clutch plate..

Now I just know you are all going to jump down my throat about this and explain it all over again..but I will still keep using mineral oil as I have done for the last 51 years.

John.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I swear by rotella t6, though I have used t5 and it is alright (Its a dino)

If your using the standard 15w40 rotella dino oil, that sound is your hydrolic tappets. I found for some reason the standard 15w40 rotella washed all the moly grease off my camshafts and rockets plus it didnt react well with my 84 vt750c's defoaming chamber.

My suggestion;

- Do an oil change to rotella T6 full synthetic (including filter)
- After 100-150 miles of riding change your oil again (including filter) as the synthetic will break down all that dyno gunk.
- After that resume regular oil change intervals.

my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.