Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been riding for a bit now. In terms of baby growth, I'd say I'm somewhere between a zygote and an embryo and practicing daily to make it fetus and beyond. Sooo, with just this tidbit of experience, here are a series of questions that have been bugging me (aside from the numerous ones I've already asked on here. :eek:)

1. Turn your head before switching lanes. Hmm, its what the instructor said to do but I wasn't going at 65mph. At that speed, just how do you turn your head?
2. Speaking of going 65mph with no windshield, what is the best position for your upper body? Its a cruiser but I find myself scrunching down like I'm on a sportsbike to avoid the winddrafts.
3. Hey, guess what? I proudly put on a set of crash bars the other day. But now do I need to worry that I can't turn/lean as sharply and end up rubbing the bars on the pavement?
4. Shifting from 1st to 2nd. It seems to be the toughest shift and I frequently put it in neutral and get that "I'm not in gear, idiot" grind from my bike. Any tips for shifting?
5. Filling the tank. I'm pretty paranoid about filling my tank cause I don't want to have to try and use the reserve while riding but when filling I don’t want to overflow so I keep starting/stopping the pump. What do any of you do at the pump?
6. Key – I actually read on a post that its never a good idea to put a key chain on the key because it might somehow slip off and into a moving part. So, I’m walking around w/ my poor little key all by its lonesome. How do you carry your bike key?
7. Highway pegs – I’ve got an Aero 750 and as I mentioned, I just installed crash bars. I’ve read about highway pegs that go on the bars but what the heck are they for? I know couldn’t get my leg all the way to that peg if I had it installed.
8. Coming to a stop sign. Do most of you slow down, look both ways and roll thru the stop or always come to a complete stop?
9. Again, Aero 750 here. I’ve asked in other posts, but is this bike just plain too light to be on the highway?
10. Is there any easier way to get my eyeglasses on after I put my helmet on than keep trying to force/miss sliding them between the pads and my ears?
11. Saddlebags – if you buy a set of soft bags do you really have to shell out the $$ for mounts or are mounts just for hard bags? If so, how do you keep them from flopping around?
12. OK, so I admit it, I got nervous that there might be too little oil so I ended up overfilling it. Where the heck is the plug underneath for me to drain some off?
13. I’m sure I’ll have more questions in later posts so I’ll leave you all with one last one for today. Exactly why the heck did the freakin chicken cross the road?? :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Minduke, I swear man, you and I are at a very very similar spot in this riding world. So many of those questions you asked are exactly what I wonder about lately!! My 750 ace is, I'm guessing, very similar to riding your Aero. I turn my head at our 45mph turn lanes here like nothing, but never tried at 65mph and I feel like I'm in a rocket where my engine is at a very high rev at that point, so I haven't crossed that hurdle yet either. Do you ever think that maybe it would be easier to relax going 65mph if the engine didn't sound like it was screaming that hard? Like if it had that 6th gear? Sometimes I do, cuz to me it sounds like i'm racing with my engine sound at 65. Anyway, was just curious. Can't do nothing about that 6th gear so oh well.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
OK, I've been riding for a bit now. In terms of baby growth, I'd say I'm somewhere between a zygote and an embryo and practicing daily to make it fetus and beyond. Sooo, with just this tidbit of experience, here are a series of questions that have been bugging me (aside from the numerous ones I've already asked on here. :eek:)

1. Turn your head before switching lanes. Hmm, its what the instructor said to do but I wasn't going at 65mph. At that speed, just how do you turn your head?
2. Speaking of going 65mph with no windshield, what is the best position for your upper body? Its a cruiser but I find myself scrunching down like I'm on a sportsbike to avoid the winddrafts.
3. Hey, guess what? I proudly put on a set of crash bars the other day. But now do I need to worry that I can't turn/lean as sharply and end up rubbing the bars on the pavement?
4. Shifting from 1st to 2nd. It seems to be the toughest shift and I frequently put it in neutral and get that "I'm not in gear, idiot" grind from my bike. Any tips for shifting?
5. Filling the tank. I'm pretty paranoid about filling my tank cause I don't want to have to try and use the reserve while riding but when filling I don’t want to overflow so I keep starting/stopping the pump. What do any of you do at the pump?
6. Key – I actually read on a post that its never a good idea to put a key chain on the key because it might somehow slip off and into a moving part. So, I’m walking around w/ my poor little key all by its lonesome. How do you carry your bike key?
7. Highway pegs – I’ve got an Aero 750 and as I mentioned, I just installed crash bars. I’ve read about highway pegs that go on the bars but what the heck are they for? I know couldn’t get my leg all the way to that peg if I had it installed.
8. Coming to a stop sign. Do most of you slow down, look both ways and roll thru the stop or always come to a complete stop?
9. Again, Aero 750 here. I’ve asked in other posts, but is this bike just plain too light to be on the highway?
10. Is there any easier way to get my eyeglasses on after I put my helmet on than keep trying to force/miss sliding them between the pads and my ears?
11. Saddlebags – if you buy a set of soft bags do you really have to shell out the $$ for mounts or are mounts just for hard bags? If so, how do you keep them from flopping around?
12. OK, so I admit it, I got nervous that there might be too little oil so I ended up overfilling it. Where the heck is the plug underneath for me to drain some off?
13. I’m sure I’ll have more questions in later posts so I’ll leave you all with one last one for today. Exactly why the heck did the freakin chicken cross the road?? :p
1. This is called a head check, use your mirrors, but use your eyes to verify that the lane is empty.
1a. Or he meant look where you wanna go. In turns, actually turn you head to point where you want to go. Don't just shift you eyes.

2. If you do a lot of 65 mph, get a windshield.

3. Hiway bars can drag sooner than your pegs. Esp. in turns where you cross the middle of the road.

4. It happens. It happens less the more you ride :D

5. eh what? Fill the tank, don't splash.

6. put a soft key chain on that won't stratch your bike.

7. I have Hiway bars with no pegs. longer leg folks like them so they can stretch out.

8. Practice the prefect stop, feet up, not moving. Have fun! :D

9. 750 is fine for the highway, but long distances will wear you out, more than a bigger bike.

10. Get a half helmet :D *ducks*

11. Mounts keep the bags out of the wheel and from rubbing on stuff.

12. relax its a Honda, they don't burn oil. Harleys do. :D *ducks*

13. stupid chicken, what's for dinner? :lol:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll answer some of those...

3- depends on the bars... I have the Paladin bars and they would never rub first
5- Start and stop. go slow to avoid splashing on your tank... messy, not harmful
6- Keep my key by itself. At home it goes on my desk, on the road it goes in my change pocket
7- My legs are too short as well... I don't have highway pegs but I ordered floorboards that I'm excited for their arrival (soon)
8- Usually come to a quick stop... keep the feet up and go.
9- My 750 Spirit doesn't feel too light on the highway, just under powered

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Minduke:
What old Jeff and jordan said. A quick check over your shoulder will save your skin. Do it regardless of your speed. Try being a bit more firm with your shifting, especially from first to second. The 750 Shadow will get it done on the highway just fine, but a bigger (heavier with more power) ride would be blown around less and inspire more confidence. Keep on keeping on.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

1. Turn your head before switching lanes. Hmm, its what the instructor said to do but I wasn't going at 65mph. At that speed, just how do you turn your head? Are you referring to the force of the wind at that speed, making it hard to turn your head and come back (especially with a helmet on)? I must just be used to it now, maybe it is something with practice that you get the hang of.
2. Speaking of going 65mph with no windshield, what is the best position for your upper body? I was really laid back on the VT1100, didn't change positions on the freeway either. The Magna is a more upright seating position, I'm slightly leaned forward and my feet are positioned closer to me. Again, I don't really change positions versus how I ride anywhere else. Maybe a windscreen will help.
3. Hey, guess what? I proudly put on a set of crash bars the other day. But now do I need to worry that I can't turn/lean as sharply and end up rubbing the bars on the pavement? I think you should practice some slow sharp turns (think figure eight at the MSF class) and see where your tolerances are. Sometimes crash bars can touch down sooner than pegs, but every one is different.
4. Shifting from 1st to 2nd. It seems to be the toughest shift and I frequently put it in neutral and get that "I'm not in gear, idiot" grind from my bike. Any tips for shifting? I did that a lot on my VLX (especially when really getting on it) and never did cure myself of it. Just remember hard, firm shifts.
5. Filling the tank. I'm pretty paranoid about filling my tank cause I don't want to have to try and use the reserve while riding but when filling I don’t want to overflow so I keep starting/stopping the pump. What do any of you do at the pump? Same thing as you. :mrgreen: As a side note, you really should practice switching to reserve while riding in case it does happen. Get familiar with where the petcock is at in relation to where you're sitting on the bike and flip it, so the time when the bike starts to sputter, you can easily flip it and be on your way.
6. Key – I actually read on a post that its never a good idea to put a key chain on the key because it might somehow slip off and into a moving part. So, I’m walking around w/ my poor little key all by its lonesome. How do you carry your bike key? :shock: I use a keyring with another key that belongs to a set of locks I had on my previous set of saddlebags. I've never worried about it coming apart on me.
7. Highway pegs – I’ve got an Aero 750 and as I mentioned, I just installed crash bars. I’ve read about highway pegs that go on the bars but what the heck are they for? I know couldn’t get my leg all the way to that peg if I had it installed. There are all kinds of offset mounts that can actually bring those pegs closer to the rider, but unless you feel the need for them, you don't have to have highway pegs.
8. Coming to a stop sign. Do most of you slow down, look both ways and roll thru the stop or always come to a complete stop? Depends on road conditions and how my visibility is. My residential streets are littered with potholes and steep entrances to roads so I always do a complete stop around here. But if the roads are good and my visibility is good, slow roll and go.
9. Again, Aero 750 here. I’ve asked in other posts, but is this bike just plain too light to be on the highway? Heck no. :mrgreen: It does get blown around a bit more than the heavier bikes, but it does freeway just fine. I know people who have done freeway on their little 250s. I did it a lot on my 600 when I had to.
10. Is there any easier way to get my eyeglasses on after I put my helmet on than keep trying to force/miss sliding them between the pads and my ears? Not that I know of.
11. Saddlebags – if you buy a set of soft bags do you really have to shell out the $$ for mounts or are mounts just for hard bags? If so, how do you keep them from flopping around? Should always buy mounts to go with the bags unless you never ride at high speeds. They've gotta be secured somehow.
12. OK, so I admit it, I got nervous that there might be too little oil so I ended up overfilling it. Where the heck is the plug underneath for me to drain some off? Not sure on the Aero 750, but it should be somewhere on the engine casing. Looks like a bolt that's kinda angled in.
13. I’m sure I’ll have more questions in later posts so I’ll leave you all with one last one for today. Exactly why the heck did the freakin chicken cross the road?? :p It's quite obvious that he saw you coming. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just my input. :wink:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ok you asked for it, so here are my worthless opinions. :mrgreen:

1. Full face helmet, shield down, no issues.
2. Not much you can do on windy days if you don't like the wind other than get a shield.
3. Experience will make this a non-issue.
4. Give a bit more force on this shift to push past neutral.
5. Know your tanks capacity. Stop a half gallon short, and then go slow.
6. As was already stated get a soft key chain. Use a smaller ring too to reduce the hang length.
7. Guys who need highway pegs either have really long legs, or are riding a bike that is too small for them.
8. Experience will let you come to a complete stop while only needing to put one leg down. That should be your left leg as your right will be on the brake. The exception is when on an uneven surface where balance can be an issue. Use common sense.
9. It is light, and pays a penalty due to this. However the lack of a 6th gear or sprocket change options on shaft drive bikes are worse than the weight issue in my opinion.
10. The more you do it the easier it gets. A modular flip up helmet is a god send.
11. Buy the proper support support bars. Cheaping out is just stupid.
12. Read the owners manual. It is not hard to find.
13. She was afraid someone would caesar!

·
Registered
22 Posts
1. The same way you do at 10 mph. You'll get used to it.
2. The same as you do at 10 mph. You'll get used to it.
3. Don't have crash bars on the bike I have now but I seem to remember always scraping my foot pegs and not the crash bars. I wouldn't worry about it.
4. Watch your neutral light. If it's on you didn't make it to 2nd.
5. Check out McCuff I use one and it works great.
6. I have a small clip on my key. It allows me to unclip it from my main keychain when I ride.
7. Google it
8. I come to a stop. Can't afford a ticket.
9. Absolutely not. I used to ride a 250 on the freeway.
10. Let me know if you figure that out. I've been trying for a while.
11. I don't have them on my saddlebags now but I liked it better when I did.
12. Check in the service manual located somewhere on this site.
13. Cause I was chasing him with a knife and fork.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You practice and you will get used to it.
You practice and you will get used to it.
clean air is my fav. so if you can help it don't follow anything as tall or taller than you. whatever position you are comfortable with.
Try to rub them in a parking lot it aint easy.
Slow down you are not in a race. Wind out first more if you need to go fast it is a honda you won't hurt it.
fill tank mostly full not spilling over when on side stand, ride till you need reserve, check miles traveled. reset trip odometer each fillup to know howmany miles you have left. Find a place with good pumps and go there when home. fuel should not hurt your factory paint. Carry a shop rag to catch splashes it you need to.
I use a small ring with a dog chain clip to clip my key onto my reglar keys then remove it when riding
You can use peg offsets to place peg within reach. when you are more comfortable you may want to use them.
STOP. look for the cop that sits down the road waiting to make his quota. then go
I hope not because i ride a 1983 500 on the highway most days, first year was ruf it got better.
Modular flip up helmet. You get what you pay for. so decide howmuch your face is worth and buy accordingly
I Don't have them
I would use some tubing and siphon it out cause the drain bolt would make a mess.
Because it was stapled to a baby.:wink:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ive got a 750 as well, had it for 8 years now, best thing for highway riding is to get a tall windshield, I travel interstate 80 miles a day going to and from work--the windshield makes a world of difference----you will get used to the high rpms, these are jap bikes, and they all run high rpms and are supposed to sound like they are going to blow, trust me it won't. I felt the same way when I started, looking for a sixth gear, but now im pretty much running 75-85 MPH on my 40 mile trip to and from work. Ive got highway bars with pegs and use them alot, you kinda angle the pegs inward and when i fully strech my legs out my ankles are resting on the pegs-Im 5'11".

I'm considering a 38 tooth rear sprocket mod that will drop the rpms at high speeds a bit, but i will wait until i need my next chain

All other stuff you will figure out or get used to---best thing is to give yourself plenty of space and try to avoid riding in packs of cars or blindspots of big rigs--good luck

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Most of these questions have been answered quite well, however to remove a small amount of oil simply loosen the oil filter and let a little bit drain out into a catch pan. It's much easier to control than pulling the drain plug and trying to get it back in before you let too much oil out and have to add more, which overfills it again so you have to take the drain plug out and let out too much so you have to add more.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

Use your mirrors but do like in your car... physically verify with your eyes. Ummm... how do you turn your head? Ummm... you just do it?

You'll get used to the feeling of the wind on your body... just sit in the natural position for the bike. If you find you can't handle the winddrafts, I suppose a windshield might be your next option?

It'll be hard to scrape the crash bars, you probably won't even get close... you'll scrape your pegs first and scare yourself silly long before you scrape your crash bars...

Slow down on your shift. Make it a deliberate shift. It'll come easier as you get more in synch with your bike.

I start and stop 'til it's full. If some spills, big whoopee.

I've got my key on a small ring attached to a small carabiner that I hook to my backpack or my big key ring when I'm done riding.

They're for stretching out and putting your feet on. If you can't reach your highway bars, consider an offset system... but it might be awhile before you're comfortable having your feet away from the foot controls so in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it.

I slow down, look both ways, come to a stop, look both ways, and if it's clear I go.

Nope, it's not too light to be on the highway. It's a matter of you getting used to the nuances of highway riding. My butt has a truckload of highway miles on CB400s, as well as smaller motocross bikes.

Nope. That's why I got a modular helmet. I use that on the highway, and my half helmet in town.

I have soft bags, and built the support to keep them from flopping into my rear wheel out of a stop sign I stole 30 years ago. I'd only put out the money for mounts if I had bags that weren't the throwover style.

It's underneath ;) But I'd pump out the oil from the filler hole rather than make a huge mess. Then in the future be more aware of how the dipstick reads :)

13. I’m sure I’ll have more questions in later posts so I’ll leave you all with one last one for today. Exactly why the heck did the freakin chicken cross the road??

So he could get better pics of all the bikes riding past :smile:

:p

All good questions, answered with my best IMO.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You learn, just turn slowly and only far enough to check to your immediate right or left - your blind spots - do this after checking the mirrors first and then check the mirrors again after your looks ... the cages come from no where.​
If your going to highway ride at speed, get a windshield, if you want to be comfortable and anywhere near rested when you get to your destination, just do it. Get a regular large windshied - look at National Cycle and Memphis Shades.​
What you just invested in will pay for themselves several times over. If the highway bar is not your cup of tea on looks - then maybe dented tanks, bent handle bars, crushed saddle bags, broken windshields, destroyed lightbars and just destructive mayhem in general is more to your liking in the looks department. Worry more about falling over and scraping, not leaning and scraping.​
When you are first learning the shift pattern, full and deliberate pulls on the clutch and good toe position under the shifter make all the difference. It seems that first shift up is a little longer than the rest - just be aware it will become habit.​
Learn how to run the pump slowly on the last 20% of your fillup. Keep 5 or 6 paper towels in hand and close to the tank opening as you fill. Jerking the pump makes it hard not to splash on the tank.​
I never use any kind of key chain. Blows in the wind, hits the side cover, damages it. Single key in the desk drawer at night, utility pocket on the chaps or watch pocket in the blue jeans.​
I'm short - sorta - 5' 9" - love the highway pegs and would not be without them. Invaluable on distance rides. Kuryakyn makes an adjustable peg mount the accommodates nearly anyone.​
It says STOP - so I STOP. After you learn to stop and start it is second nature and no big deal. Stopping is the legal thing to do - so I do it. This is 98% of the time, now on back roads with no one around for miles I slow down and roll through.​
I don't think so. I enjoy my Shadow 750 on the road. Only kick is when I meet a semi rig when the wind is up, the wind blast will knock you around pretty good but it knocks me around on my 1800 also.​
Yes there is ... take your helmet off and put your glasses on. Admonish yourself and promise never to do that again.​
Shelling out $$$$$ is not a bad thing. Have tried it both ways. Guess what - mounts are better. Eliminates the need for saddlebag supports and and does away with the flopping. A little extra reinforcement on the inside of the bags for support never hurts.​
Left side ... check your owners manual.​
13. I’m sure I’ll have more questions in later posts so I’ll leave you all with one last one for today. Exactly why the heck did the freakin chicken cross the road??
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz !! That's easy - to look at the Shadow on the other side....​

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
I'm only going to answer the question I believe is a safety issue as the others have already been covered. This issue came up on another forum and I admit I was in the minority here.

Question:

Answer:
Trust your mirrors, contrary to popular opinion automotive vehicles are not Vampires and will cast a reflection. The last thing you want to do while in heavy traffic is take your eyes off the road ahead to turn around. The time to perform this little manouver could be your last. If blind spots, shift your head left to right and your rearview field will cover more area and enough attention will still be focused forward to see suddenly applied brake lights.

Back in the day most vehicles only came with one outside mirror, even Ferrari's. Driving instructors would advise turning your head to check for traffic before executing a lane change or other manouvers that required checking rear traffic conditions. I believe this instruction is a leftover from bygone days.

If you have ever driven a delivery van or truck without rear windows you learn to trust your mirrors, period.

What do you think semi drivers do, open the door and climb out on the step to see around the trailer? No, they use their mirrors.

O.K. Let the negative replies begin, I'm ready for the ****storm.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad46/Kingshead/****storm1.gif

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great questions dude. Most have been answered well. I will just chime in on the ones I have had issues with or ideas for.

I'd practice doing this and make it a habit. If you have no helmet, it makes it easier. A half helmet, the same. If you wear a full face, you will need one with good visibility so you don't have to look back as far to see. Although some disagree, if you are clear with the road ahead, I ALWAYS think its worth the look even after checking mirrors, mainly because you can.

2. Speaking of going 65mph with no windshield, what is the best position for your upper body?
STRAIGHT UP!! Lean back and gently "pull" on your handle bars and enjoy the wind!!!

Shift quick and deliberate. Lots of bikes do this differently, depending on certain things. My VLX has a hard time getting from 1st to 2nd sometimes.

Nice and easy all the way to the spot that it says to go to in the manual. I don't wear sunglasses so I can see it easier. Always reset your odometer and try to get a good estimate on how many miles you can make it. Paper towels are great if you drip. Also, leave it on the edge of the fill hole for a few seconds to minimize drippage..

I have a small keyring and then funny enough, I put one of those "livestrong" type of bracelets on it. It is soft so it won't scratch anything, and it helps me not lose it but stays light and easy.

Contacts.

Get the mounts. Keeps you free from danger and cheaping out and having to replace soon. Do it right the first time.

Ordering your service manual off of ebay will help these type of "where is it?" questions a TON. They have way more detailed pictures and guides to help you find stuff like this easy.

bunga

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I'm only going to answer the question I believe is a safety issue as the others have already been covered. This issue came up on another forum and I admit I was in the minority here.

Question:

Answer:
Trust your mirrors, contrary to popular opinion automotive vehicles are not Vampires and will cast a reflection. The last thing you want to do while in heavy traffic is take your eyes off the road ahead to turn around. The time to perform this little manouver could be your last. If blind spots, shift your head left to right and your rearview field will cover more area and enough attention will still be focused forward to see suddenly applied brake lights.

Back in the day most vehicles only came with one outside mirror, even Ferrari's. Driving instructors would advise turning your head to check for traffic before executing a lane change or other manouvers that required checking rear traffic conditions. I believe this instruction is a leftover from bygone days.

If you have ever driven a delivery van or truck without rear windows you learn to trust your mirrors, period.

What do you think semi drivers do, open the door and climb out on the step to see around the trailer? No, they use their mirrors.

You're not completely wrong :D In heavy traffic with a lot going on in front of me. I head check less.

But I always maintain good following distances too.

I could see where a FF helmet would make head checks more difficult to accomplish quickly.

But a head check costs what? .35 seconds?

·
Registered
197 Posts

Question:

Answer:

Kingshead do mean to tell me that you never take a quick glance into the lane you are about to shift into---im suprised you aren't dead:shock:
to me its effortless to first look in the mirror, then take a quick glance, and then change lanes---there has been many a time that ive looked in my mirror, saw nothing, then took a peek and some idiot was right next to my back tire. I will admit that the times this happened i felt stupid for not seeing them coming and vowed to be more dilligent in my mirror scanning to avoid this in the future, but it happens to the best of us.

Semi trucks and UPS trucks also have giant mirrors with little wide range mirrors attached and signs on the back that say if you cant see my mirrors then i cant see you----maybe you should get one of these stickers

Trusting a little mirror with your life will get you killed IMO,

I do understand what you are saying about not taking your eyes off the road ahead, but if you arent tailgating, or in super heavy multiple lane traffic, then there should be time to take a glance. HEAD ON A SWIVEL is the way to go.

just trying to help the Sh*t-storm get started;-)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I never use any kind of key chain. Blows in the wind, hits the side cover, damages it. Single key in the desk drawer at night, utility pocket on the chaps or watch pocket in the blue jeans.​
+1 I learned the hard way on my 750. I went out and bought a key ring with a leather tassel thinking it wouldn't damage anything. It was a soft leather. The tassel ending up swirling in the wind and made some nice circular rub marks on my left side cover. Even on the VTX it's key only now.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
Trusting a little mirror with your life will get you killed IMO,
Umm... people do it all the time in cars. The trick to it is paying attention to the traffic around you to begin with. Notice what cars are coming up behind you and pay attention to when they pass you. If you saw a car come up from behind, but didn't see it pass you, it's a safe bet it's in your blindspot. Usually at that point, you don't have to do a full head turn, just enough to see the vehicle in your peripheral vision.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts