Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I posted earlier this week about a battery problem. Turns out that both morning I wanted to take my bike to commute to work, it was quite chilly outside (39F). She started just fine when I got back from work, and it was warmer. Also started fine this morning (52F).

How can I help her start in cold morning? A blanket works on the wifey, but prolably not on my old shinning... Is there such thing as a motorcycle block-heater? Any option you can think of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
You should be able to get it started using the choke and don't crank the throttle at all while you try to start it. If it doesn't start using full choke then you have other problems.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Close the gap of the plugs a little. On my 1100 the book calls for .031 to.035 and it was hard starting. Closed the gap to .028 and my bike started much better when cold, had no effect on power or gas mileage.

ROD

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,256 Posts
Though expensive Iridium plugs do help with cold starts signifantly over standard plugs.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Though expensive Iridium plugs do help with cold starts signifantly over standard plugs.
I know lots of guys make this claim, but my KLR runs/starts exactly the same, regular NGK or iridium. No change what so ever...

Chances are, if your engine starts better on iridium plugs.....you needed new plugs, and regular plugs would have behaved the same way. ;)

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,256 Posts
I know lots of guys make this claim, but my KLR runs/starts exactly the same, regular NGK or iridium. No change what so ever...

Chances are, if your engine starts better on iridium plugs.....you needed new plugs, and regular plugs would have behaved the same way. ;)
I make this claim from my experience not what others believe or have claimed and my plugs were just fine when I did the switch. Other than cold starts not a difference but $10 a set vs $30 a set its definitely a good/major investment for cooler temps. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.