Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to tip my hat to Sanoke who can ride in the snow. We got 4 inches here in southeast New Mexico on Friday and my boss told me to keep my rig parked. Now we've got another storm coming. My poor bike sits under it's cover just waiting for a clear day....

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
JTravis1973 said:
I have to tip my hat to Sanoke who can ride in the snow. We got 4 inches here in southeast New Mexico on Friday and my boss told me to keep my rig parked. Now we've got another storm coming. My poor bike sits under it's cover just waiting for a clear day....
JT,
Is 4 inches considered a lot of snow for New Mexico?
Here in Michigan 4 inches is considered a light dusting! In fact, we've gotten a few inches the last few days each night and are supposed to be getting a few inches every night this week........It's been a very light winter for us here in Southeastern Michigan in terms of snow fall. By this time of year we're usually talking feet of snow, not inches. But hey.....who's complaining? Maybe the skiers and snowmobilers are singing the blues but not me!
Phil

·
Registered
119 Posts
tropicalsuns said:
AH......you need to move a bit further into the desert....

Been out the last four days in a row!
Come on now Trop - be honest - its been freezing on two-wheels these last couple weeks! :wink:

(Not that its keeping me off the bike or anything, just forcing me to add a layer in my jacket! :lol: )

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I just spent a week in Milwaukee and the highest it got was +6. So, this morning my ride to work at 32 degrees at 5am was a breeze for me ( I have the right gear). But I tip my hat to Sanoke as well, if I was still living in Canada, my bike would be stored and my sled would be roaring.

Hats off to all those dedicated riders, just be careful, black ice isn’t called black for nothing.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I grew up on the east coast so I know what cold is, but the last two weeks in LA have been BRUTAL.
My hands have suffered indescribable tortures.

It's like, 40 when I ride into work.
I know, as a woman in WVA told me, "Honey, you got piss for blood."

You guys that ride in snow, I admire and fear...you're nuts. ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah 4 inches is a lot of snow here. The only white stuff we're used to is White Sands National Park. I think the weather pattern is changing here though. It's been getting colder and wetter every winter since 2000. Our Average temp here is 62, but the temp swings to average that are getting wilder.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
JTravis1973 said:
Yeah 4 inches is a lot of snow here. The only white stuff we're used to is White Sands National Park. I think the weather pattern is changing here though. It's been getting colder and wetter every winter since 2000. Our Average temp here is 62, but the temp swings to average that are getting wilder.
We're just spoiled, ha ha. We're used to riding bikes and playing golf year round. Winter is just a name for a season that we really don't have to do any yard work cause the grass goes dormant after the first freeze. Its disappointing to have all that free time and not be able to ride. Actually, the past couple of weeks we have had ice, snow and rain and it is somewhat rare to have that much moisture day after day.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Most things are cyclical. The weather is no exception. The older farmers around here are saying that this is what winter was like 45-50 years ago. Most people here in Colorado haven't been here long enough to remember them. Personally, I remember some pretty hard winters about 20 years ago. Still not as hard as what we are having this year but close. Even with all the snow, the sun still comes out, we have those beautiful clear blue skies and the roads do dry off 3-4 days after a storm passes. It's a real pain having to truck my bike out to the main roads but I still manage to go for a ride in between the snow storms at least once a week.

This winter has been a great lesson in being patient and truely appreciating the times I do get out to ride.

Happy Trails!

sanoke

1 - 9 of 9 Posts