Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03' Sabre 1100: I've been researching the Mosfet rr and emailing with Jack at Roadstercycles and with Electrosport. I've learned from here and Electrosport that the OEM wiring for the RR is a weak point along with the rr. Jack has been real good emailing me, even on his vacation. Please help me understand why the wiring in his complete kit reuses the OEM wiring, except for the new battery wires? I would think that the wiring from the rr to stator wires would be a part of the upgrade to the complete kit. I may be missing something and I can't figure out what it is.
Thank you.

John

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Since the stator wires connect to the stator, in order to completely replace them you would need to pull the stator and connect the new wires at the coil winding. These wires are also molded into a plug that fits into the crank case cover, so this would need to be fabricated.

In my experiance the connector is what gets hot. I have not even seen a picture where the stator wires were melted after this connection gets soldered. Large wires could be spliced in just outside of the crank case cover to avoid some of the losses. Note that the max losses will occur at peak current or high RPM,

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Verdeva. I was thinking that using a thicker gauge wire from the rr to the stator wires and being connected or soldered together where they were originally was an important part of the upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
There is certainly no harm in larger wire in a portion of these wires. The losses are a factor of both gauge and length. That being said, I don't think you will see a difference in performace.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The problem is not the wiring from the stator to the regulator, it's the plastic connector that causes the problem (moisture causes bad connection and eventual melt down of the plug) Make sure to cut off the connector and solder the wires and wrap them with heat shrink.

The stock wires from the regulator to the battery are the ones you want to change to 10 gauge wire. They may be just good enough with the stock regulator, but with the Mosfet regulator, you will need the heavier wire to handle the added power going to the battery. Make sure to solder the crimp-on connectors after to crimp them on to make sure there is a more positive connection.
You'll be pleasingly surprised at the readings on your volts meter after the instulation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Verdeva and PainterD. I just kept getting confused when I did not see wires from the rr to stator on the new Mosfet. It seemed to me they should be a part of the new product. I think my confusion caused Jack to get concerned with me. I understand now. Actually, I took out the stator/rr connection a while back. However, in preparation for when my rr would go bad, I replaced that connection with posi-lock connectors. I do believe my rr is still good, but I like to do my best to think ahead. Thank you again.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts