Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what all National associations there are for bikers. I know of ABATE but have not heard of any others.

I was thinking of joining ABATE but it seems they spend a great deal of time and money focusing their efforts on helmet laws. I would much rather see efforts aimed at saving our butts on the road with new laws that help protect bikers from cagers.

I recently stopped at an ABATE booth during a bike show and the guy talked about nothing but helmet laws and how we have to band together to protect this freedom.

Can anyone recommend another Association that is worthy of my dues and that focuses on public education of driving safe and respecting motorcycles on the road as well as rider education ?

Chris

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yup, my local ABATE was the same way... Helmets this helmets that, and they always had thier hand out for something. The board members, always had a friend in need and wanted to pass a hat around two or three times a meeting. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems helping people out, but this really seemed excessive... They never talked about anything important (at all) and really just wasted 2 hours of my time a month and my yearly dues as far as I could tell. I didn't sign up for a 2nd year after that...

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have anything against ABATE and I see they do some work in education and rider training.

What I envisioned though was a biker association that spent time at State Capitals working on insurance issues, better road building techniques to make it safe for bikers ( hate them shiny turn arrows ), licensing issues, etc.

I didn't want people here to think I was bashing ABATE, I just think to much of their time and finances is focused in one area.

Chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
Chris

Chris - Not to be rude: but why would you want to be a member of an association? Is there some benefits that I am not aware of?

JP

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,272 Posts
I was thinking of joining ABATE but it seems they spend a great deal of time and money focusing their efforts on helmet laws. I would much rather see efforts aimed at saving our butts on the road with new laws that help protect bikers from cagers.
Underneath all that helmet-law-fighting, ABATE has a lot to offer that lines up with your interests -- although it may not be very strong in your area. Of course, that would present you the opportunity to join up and change the focus a bit...

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Simple question Chris and not as easy to answer. :roll:

As you know the AMA (American Motorcyclist Assoc.) is the biggest in the country. I was a member for a number of years for the very reasons you are asking about. But I dropped my membership with their change of view about their "mission". It was to promote safe riding, sharing the road, etc. that you/me and many others would gladly help this assoication to promote on the Federal/State/local levels. HOWEVER, they changed their mission to "thwarting/repealing/modifing" any legislation dealing with helmets at the Federal/State/local levels. And it continues to this day.

They also work with other groups called Motorcycle Riders Foundation and Modified Motorcycle Assoc.. They work together on many safety related issues but these two work more closely at the State/local arena. And they in turn work closely with the many State/local ABATE chapters. They do their part as for motorist safety awareness programing, helping with insurance issues, nusiance regulations, etc. at the State/local levels more than AMA itself. They have "some" good programs in various states where they don't seem to hammer the helmet issue like others but they really DO promote safety issues...it kinda depends on how hostile the issue IS in that area.

The MSF at one time was the only one truly promoting public safety awareness campaigns along with their training programs. But, alas they too have gotten away from this mission and are concentrating on "monoplizing/frachinsing" the training segment endeaver.

BUT as for a clear cut organization that you mention....no, it ain't out there. What you will find are many State/local organizations listed as "associations" but these mainly are something like this board. Somebody got the idea to start a riding club, social riding association, marque motorcycle association, dirt riders, trail riders...whatever. Safety issues or legislative issues are not at the forefront of those organizations. Unless some impending regulation is a threat to THEM in there State or local area. Mostly they have formed more for same-minded or same manufactured motorcycle owners to meet/greet and ride together. But at times they will align themselves with the other assoications (AMA, MFR) as is required for help in their issues.

I think that the short answer for ya. Now you have a small idea "why" the motorcycles are of lesser importance when it comes to the complex problems with motorcycles in the intermodal transportation mix on the nations highways. :wink:

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Chris

JPDiesel said:
Chris - Not to be rude: but why would you want to be a member of an association? Is there some benefits that I am not aware of?

JP
My main reason was to lend financial support through my dues to promote cager awareness of motorcycles and to hopefully lend them support in TV commercials and awareness campaigns. Thats where my true feelings rest, not with the helmet debate but rather with promoting safety awareness of us out there on our bikes amongst the many cagers. :)

Typically these Associations cannot fund these programs without financial support from dues paying members. In the end hazardous road painting, dirty intersections and unsafe cagers effect every single one of us. Helmet laws effect only those who do not want to wear helmets which is a minority.

Chris

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Chris,

I assume from some of your other posts that you have some business acuity and a fair number of rider friends in Florida. I also assume that they share some of your views on motorcycle organizations in general. That being said, maybe the answer is for you to start a local group with a little different focus from the pack. If it gets off the ground locally, you can take state wide and eventually nationally.

I know, I know, easier said than done; but, something to think about.

Paul

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paul:

I have really thought about that but the time involved would be tough. Still, I think it would be a great idea.

Chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gottcha

Ok, I think I understand a little better about where you are going. For me personally I havent seen the benefit from alot of other "assocations", it kind of turns me off when I hear that. I feel like there is a set of rules I must follow or act a certain way (which is not me) or they tend to turn into money hungry organizations.

Thanks for taking the time.

JP

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Chris,

As to your concerns about dirty intersections, road marking, etc. those items are often worked on by the State/local chapters of ABATE and others who are approached or have similair concerns. They basically work together on these issues with either the local (State/local) Highway Transportation District manager or thru the Dept of Transportations Highway Safety dept's. Sometimes legislation IS needed but other times a only a regulatory change is needed. But background information in needed and at times these organizations can provide faster, more accurate info. THEN these "safety concerns" can be eliminated...but in the end it still takes time, money and bodies to do the work.

Consolidating all the motorcyclists and all the conflicting issues in this country has been a monumental job that's still can't be done.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
AngryHatter said:
cbjr0256 said:
I belong to AMA, I think they do a lot for all areas of motorcycling, and the monthly magazine isn't too bad.
^^^ me too.
And when I tell people I am a member of the A.M.A., they start calling me doctor. :lol:
me too...
I've been following their 'justice for all' push and I like it.

I wasn't impressed with the several abate groups here I visited...all meeting long it was helmets this, helmets that and quoting faulty physics about the 50# helmet, blah, blah...nothing about pushing to have cycle awareness added to driver education... :roll:

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,272 Posts
I wasn't impressed with the several abate groups here I visited...all meeting long it was helmets this, helmets that and quoting faulty physics about the 50# helmet, blah, blah...nothing about pushing to have cycle awareness added to driver education... Rolling Eyes
All the fuss about helmets definitely works it's way to the top at ABATE -- and it interests me not at all. But there is an awful lot of the other stuff there, at least here in MI. And the regional division of the organization makes it MUCH easier for a single individual to have impact.

But I can understand why people wouldn't want to "make it their own" and why the helmet fuss is too much to overcome. I've been looking to help the same as Chris has outlined and it really is hard to find a fit...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The three groups worth looking at are ABATE, the MRF or Motorcycle Riders Foundation and AMA.

The MRF is primarily a lobbying/advocacy group and they are very involved at the federal level. They are certainly worth looking at. ABATE can be a mixed bag depending on your state. ABATE of Indiana, where I live, is one of the strongest ABATE groups in the country and it is focused on all motorcycle issues, helmets just being one. For example it has teamed up with the AMA to toughen the laws for people who injure riders. It also conducts the MSF classes and conducts the DMV license testing for the state under constract.

The AMA is certainly the big gun numbers and dollars wise but in my mind they seem to roll over a lot on issues important to riders. But numbers speak in Washington.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Christopher said:
I didn't want people here to think I was bashing ABATE, I just think to much of their time and finances is focused in one area.

Chris
Sorry, I wasn't bashing all of ABATE, just my local chapter... I know there are alot of other chapters in the country, that actually do some good...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.