Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for a large global corporation and an officer of the corp. recently started riding. She's really gung-ho and we get into frequent email exchanges about bikes, riding etc.

She now wants to start a club at work and I'm wondering if any of you out there have such a thing where you work. I see alot of opportunity (dedicated motorcycle parking?) in such an endeavor.

Any tips you can provide is greatly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
We have a lot of riders in our office but most belong to the Blue Knights. Personally I do not belong to any clubs, cars or motorcycles. When I did the car shows I would indicate on the applications that I belonged to the N-1 club, aka "none" LOL. I don't need any rockers or vest patches for this club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
hunnus2000 said:
I work for a large global corporation and an officer of the corp. recently started riding. She's really gung-ho and we get into frequent email exchanges about bikes, riding etc.

She now wants to start a club at work and I'm wondering if any of you out there have such a thing where you work. I see alot of opportunity (dedicated motorcycle parking?) in such an endeavor.

Any tips you can provide is greatly appreciated!
The only way I would do it is if the management structure at work didn't overlap into the club. Just because she is the boss at work...doesn't mean she should be the ride boss...especially since she just got into riding. Remember, you want someone who has enough experience and the calmness to handle any situation the road throws at you. You also have to find someone that can handle the variety of attitudes you find on the road.

Another plus would be company sponsored training classes. If you have enough members...you could contact a trainer and set up a class just for the employees and spouses.

Good luck with the club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
We only have four bike at work. One Rune that we have never seen, one HD, a crotch rocket Suzuki and my shadow. I have ridden with the three I have seen but only one of them at a time. I feel when I leave the office; I want to leave it behind. When I worked at Nortel, we had many many bikes in the parking lots and we had a few groups that would meet in the parking lots Sunday mornings for a ride through the hills. It wasn’t a club as such, it was merely that if you showed, great, if not, then no problem. Nortel did not want any “attachment” to the group for liability reasons but were unofficially very supportive letting us use some of their facilities for poker runs etc.

It a personal call. I would think. As Spirit so rightly mentioned, boss or no boss, she must be treated as a new rider and as such, I might suggest starting off in very small groups or just two at a time until you get a feel for her ability and she begins to understand and learn how group riding works.

Enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
As Spirit_1100 mentions about the training sessions, might be the best way to start. It would be a good way for all to meet and see who has experience/skills. This could be used to "select" a Road Captain among the experienced riders. OR, maybe bring in a "ringer" to lead rides....that way everyone has to listen to him/her. It keeps the "company aspects" out of the ride events.

Try to be positive about this adventure with the "company boss"....there's many a company that just "toatally" bans any type of dangerous activities. Just be happy the "boss" wants in on the action. :wink:

Bullzeyet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments!

She's really a super lady and the fact that she as an officer is willing to talk about bikes or coordinate a club with someone at the bottom of the totem pole (so to speak) speaks volumes about her character! She's very genuine and she could be looking at this from an employee enrichment point of view along with good pub for the company. She's not the type to throw her clout around.

I can see us holding bike practices, group rides based on skill level and maybe even rallies at work. We could also do things for the community or charitable events etc...

Any other ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
It might also provide an opportunity to educate non-bikers in the corporation about how to watch for and be aware of bikers on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TucsonDon said:
It might also provide an opportunity to educate non-bikers in the corporation about how to watch for and be aware of bikers on the road.
PERFECT!!! :D

That's a fantastic suggestion TucsonDon!!!

Please keep the ideas flowing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
hunnus2000 said:
TucsonDon said:
It might also provide an opportunity to educate non-bikers in the corporation about how to watch for and be aware of bikers on the road.
PERFECT!!! :D

That's a fantastic suggestion TucsonDon!!!

Please keep the ideas flowing!
Hmmm....sounds like someone is trying to impress the boss. Looking for a promotion Hunnus??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spirit_1100 said:
hunnus2000 said:
TucsonDon said:
It might also provide an opportunity to educate non-bikers in the corporation about how to watch for and be aware of bikers on the road.
PERFECT!!! :D

That's a fantastic suggestion TucsonDon!!!

Please keep the ideas flowing!
Hmmm....sounds like someone is trying to impress the boss. Looking for a promotion Hunnus??
:D

It's funny, at work when you impress your manager we call it fast-tracking. When you're in good with the VP, that's called hyper-tracking. When you have the attention from someone at the "C" level.......well that's called "Folding Space"! :twisted:

But actually I feel fortunate to be in this position only from the standpoint in that we actually have a chance to do something truly positive for the company and for once, it doesn't involve the bottom line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
As you progress getting this thing together...you might want to keep away from this "idea" as a club. More so as a "association of riders" type thing. Maybe "set" one or two "hard" rules such as: no work related talk and no attitudes. This will keep things less structured for conversations, sharing experience/s and will lead to much happier times by all.

Using the "motorcycle group" as a corporate PR arm is a good idea but just don't go overboard. It's the experience of meeting/riding with other "riders" and the ride that should be the item for the group. :wink:

Maybe having an "hourly" employee in this group will keep everyone grounded. :twisted: :lol: :wink:

Bullzeyet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,145 Posts
hunnus2000 said:
I see alot of opportunity (dedicated motorcycle parking?) in such an endeavor.

Any tips you can provide is greatly appreciated!
Being an officer of our corporation, I can give you another point of view. Once word gets out, expect every other officer to open the door for their special interest, creating company sponsored clubs at many different levels. We get requests for sponsorships for every age kid for every different sport and activity imaginable. Its not that we don't want to help our employee's kids, but the requests become unmanageable. So, we have chosen to be a large contributor to the high school athletic dept., keeping us clear of being accused of favortism. You and your boss can start a club, but it maybe better to keep the company distanced.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top