Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I want to take a trip on our new ride and I am curious to what you guys and gals use for communicating to each other.
I have searched for different things and cant come up with a final decision.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
(turning the head is the easiest but noooooo...that's not an option!!) ;-)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quiet ride? Huh...never heard that before!
Your a lucky man!...:mrgreen:

I would be fine with a quiet ride but she will not let this go until I find something and what I have found so far....WOW! Expensive equipment!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The cheapest way would be a set of Motorola 2ways with head set from Walmart.

T's and I have a set of Scala G4's expensive!! 400+$$$
They work great from bike to bike......... Not for a passenger though I think we get to close, found that out when giving her a ride to pick up her bike!!
( Although we may have the setting wrong )

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
You didn't state if you are bike to bike or driver to passenger. That will make a difference in what you can buy and price will be different. My wife and I use the Scala Q2's. We bought them off Amazon a few years ago on sale. They are blue tooth and have an fm radio feature, (that sucks) but we only use the two way feature on, long rides. If we stay local, we don't bother w/ them.
scala rider

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Hand signals work fine for my wife and I. Want to show something to each other we point. When she has to pee, she whacks my helmet. If I'm going too fast, whack. Sure beats the constant drivers ed class, she provides in the cage.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Hand signals work fine for my wife and I. Want to show something to each other we point. When she has to pee, she whacks my helmet. If I'm going too fast, whack. Sure beats the constant drivers ed class, she provides in the cage.
:shock:...:lol: D*mn, that would annoy the sh*t out of me. I don't do distractions on a bike. No talking, music or "whacking." :lol::lol::-D

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
ok, so help me out please. I read the write up on the Motorola headsets and I don;t understand the whole "bluetooth" thing. I ride with my son on back, I have a cheap azzed cell phone with just the basic plan. How the heck does the whole thing work??? When we talk to each other over this system will it count against my minutes? I don't really care about having music or a radio, though my son might enjoy it riding back there, but how does that come in to play? Does the radio plug in to the phone which in turn relays to the other persons helmet?? As you can see, I am completely cluless on this subject. I thought bluetooth was something you got when licking coolaide straight from the package. HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My wife and I have been using a set of these Blue-Tooth units. The range is limited to line of sight and volume is adequate except for high speed freeway driving.

Amazon.com: new! Motorcycle Bluetooth Multi Interphone headsets: Electronics
+1. I have had these for over a year now and think they are great and priced right ($100). When DW is not onboard, I use my iphone and stream music via bluetooth to them. Not the greatest sound quality, but they are a convenient way to add ride tunes without the need for wires. Check the Gooddeals18 site tho, I think there may be a newer model available for a few more $$.

Battery life is great, it survived a 6 hour trip this past Saturday (my sig pic taken along Lake Huron, near Harbor Beach, MI.)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
ok, so help me out please. I read the write up on the Motorola headsets and I don;t understand the whole "bluetooth" thing. I ride with my son on back, I have a cheap azzed cell phone with just the basic plan. How the heck does the whole thing work??? When we talk to each other over this system will it count against my minutes? I don't really care about having music or a radio, though my son might enjoy it riding back there, but how does that come in to play? Does the radio plug in to the phone which in turn relays to the other persons helmet?? As you can see, I am completely cluless on this subject. I thought bluetooth was something you got when licking coolaide straight from the package. HELP!!!
Don't know about the Walmart ones, but for the ones I have, both headsets connect to each other wirelessly via bluetooth (a wireless transmission protocol). They work independent of your cell phone. Just charge the batteries, press a button or 2 to connect them to each other, and go.

See my post above, you can also use another bluetooth enable device such as an MP3 player or phone to listen to music to take calls from the road (I only do the former).

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
so in this case Bluetooth is basically a reciever/transmitter for comms helmet to helmet? Where does my cell phone fit in? And without getting technical, how does that work with getting recieving calls? For the record, I have absolutely no desire to send or recieve calls while riding. I generally keep my cell phone turned off while riding and only turn it on and check messages when taking breaks.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
:shock:...:lol: D*mn, that would annoy the sh*t out of me. I don't do distractions on a bike. No talking, music or "whacking." :lol::lol::-D
Thus, NOOOOOO intercoms for the Bike. Music we have. Nothing like some BTO or Skinnard with V-twin accompaniment. Our helmets are wired for sound, and she could call me on my cell. But she knows I won't answer the phone while on the bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Sena smh10 set. If you want a decent set you are going to have to spend a little money. Wireless is the way to go. I don't want to be attached to anything while on the bike. Bluetooth is a standard protocol for wireless. A lot of devices have that capability e.g. your phone. Phone companies only charge you for service that connects to their towers. Bluetooth and wifi connect directly to other devices so it doesn't use the towers. You can connect the bluetooth headsets to your phone and play music from them or even answer calls on it while also connected to the other intercom device. Of course it's a personal preference on music or calls. I personally listen to music a lot but feel pretty uncomfortable answering calls on the bike. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I suggested to my wife that it would be nice to have an intercom for when we take our longer rides. She nixed that idea, not wanting to use any sort of headset, etc. Basically, since she is riding on the back, she can lean in and talk in my ear and since I am in front, I can't really respond - just like in real life :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.