Honda Shadow Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great thread!

Good Morning everyone. I can't agree more about most of what has been said about riding age...bike size...drinking etc. ..... I am almost 45 myself but have been riding big bikes all my life. My last big bike was an 01 Dyna Superglide. I got rid of it because it was a leaker that no one seemed to be able to fix and the payments were way too high. My friend convinced me to buy a Honda Shadow on eBay for like $1500. I thought it was a little small being a 600, but soon found I could handle it very easily even when tired and not feeling strong. I since sold that bike and got another 600....my current bike is an 97 Honda Shadow 600 VLX. I have it loaded and lots of riders not sure what it is until they check out the chrome that still says Honda on it...LOL. But my point to all of this is that I am actually glad I got a smaller lighter bike now. I can ride any bike but having the bike I do now, I know I can manuever it and be ready for most of what comes my way. By the way, I rode the first VLX to Sturgis in 04 and put over 10,000 miles on it that riding season. So the small bike never kept me back of the pack....except when first taking off...LOL.
Thanks for a great thread
Lorre

G

·
Hawaii 600 said:
TucsonDon said:
This statistic was interesting: "Almost half (about 46 percent) of fatal motorcycle crashes are single vehicle." We can't blame the "cager" on those.
Cager pulls into bikers lane to make a pass of another cager, biker runs off roadway to avoid oncoming cager in its lane. Single vehicle accident.
Gotta love flat statistics.
cager deliberately screws with rider, sends rider into a panic rider runs off road into tree..single vehicle crash, yes flat statistics are just that, flat and void of many circumstances leading up to crashes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
This thread has started to freak me out, and I'ts making me have second thoughts about starting it and taking my first ride this spring. I feel like I'm calling upon an accident to happen. I guess I'm a little supersticious, so I ain't coming back here. But I think it was a good discussion. As always though, these things seem to turn into arguements, which I don't like. There were some things I agree with and some not. But several thing's are for sure.

(NO BRAINERS):
Statistics aren't going to save my life or make me a better rider.
Statistics aren't going to stop me from riding.
I shouldn't ride what I can't handle safely, or practice until I can.
Don't drink ANY alcohol if you're getting up on two wheels
Take it easy on curves, and extreme caution at intersections.
Of my three riding friends 2 had lost it on curves, 1 got hit by a cager
turning left. They all survived, one no longer rides because of it.
Make yourself as visible as possible, but ride like your invisible.
Take every safety precausion possible... good sticky note on that.

I think all of us know that what we do is a bit dangerous. But pedal bicyling, as a sport, is also the "most" dangerous sport, statistically (blah). I'm willing to take the risk, as I have nothing else that comes close to the pleasure of riding. It's a blast, isn't it?

Thanks everybody.. Hope you all HAVE SAFE summer rides.

Bocco

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Hawaii 600 said:
Cager pulls into bikers lane to make a pass of another cager, biker runs off roadway to avoid oncoming cager in its lane. Single vehicle accident. Gotta love flat statistics.
CrazyDave said:
cager deliberately screws with rider, sends rider into a panic rider runs off road into tree..single vehicle crash, yes flat statistics are just that, flat and void of many circumstances leading up to crashes.
I'll concede that point. But I think there's a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Sure, some incidents have root causes not related to the rider of the bike. But not all. And every single one of us knows what it feels like to go into a corner a bit hot. Given that all of us are still here typing into this forum, we navigated out of it. But there are still alot of people, new to the craft, who don't. Add a dark night, an unfamiliar road and a few drinks and I don't need someone in a car as the root cause.

chornbe said:
Bottom line... Get the training. Get the gear. BE SMART. Watch your own ass, cause *no* one else is. Don't rely on statistics and for the love of all that doesn't suck, don't settle into some stupid "I fall outside those statistics so I'm safe from [insert cause here]" mindset. emphasis added
Agreed. Not one of us is immune from anything ... including being momentarily foolish at just the wrong moment.

chornbe said:
live and dead smaller critters
On my ride today in western New Mexico I spotted alongside the road a dead ... cow. No kidding ... a full size beef cow. Deader than hell. Thankfully it was alongside the road and not in it.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
bocco said:
This thread has started to freak me out, and I'ts making me have second thoughts about starting it and taking my first ride this spring. I feel like I'm calling upon an accident to happen. I guess I'm a little supersticious, so I ain't coming back here.
Bocco
It sounds like maybe this thread did something you may have not realized. Despite the differing opinions, you yourself were educated and because of that will become a safer rider.

You should look at this forum just like you would look at a neighborhood cook out. Everyone sitting around in their lounge chairs jabbering their jaws are going to have different opinions on any subject matter.

You shouldn't be spooked by these posts but rather glean the information you want or need and continue onward. But leaving isn't the answer. We are all avid bikers and I believe all of us, regardless of our opinions believe in safety out on the streets.

Stick around and enjoy the camaraderie of this group. Read, laugh, learn and enjoy.

Chris

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.