Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I like HJC for helmets. Good helmets for a reasonable price. My wife and I both have full face helmets, the road is unforgiving. I would rather not have my nose ground off.

To be exact I have a IS-17 Arcus HJC and my wife has a RPHA 70 ST HJC. That RPHA is a much nicer helmet then mine but it costs a bunch more. Comes with a chin guard, pin lock, the fabric is softer etc. etc. The bag it came is nice then my bag for that matter.

My biggest advice is try the helmets on in person. All helmets aren't shaped the same.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,739 Posts
For years I rode with an inexpensive 1/2 helmet about $50 but sometimes on sale.

openface.png

This year I have another motorcycle that has audio (sound is terrible) that performs well with bluetooth headset so I needed a full helmet. I had full face (required for racing) but find them claustrophobic for long trips or in stop/go traffic so decided on this HJC one:

modular.png

The nice thing is you can flip the chin guard up when refueling etc, flip the visor down if too many bugs and there is a sun shield but I never use it. Coming from a very light helmet, it felt a little heavy for the first few rides but now my 1/2 helmet has been retired.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My first helmet was a Nolan N90
then I got a shark which I really hated
Last year went back to Nolan, a flip-up 104. very light for a flip up, very comfortable plenty space for my glasses and the installation of the intercoms was really straightforward.
The price was very reasonable, overall an excellent value for money

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,033 Posts
AGV K3 SV, extremely comfortable for me and fits my head shape basically perfect plus has a removable liner for easy washing, couldn’t be happier with a helmet.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Helmet is 1 of those items you need to try on, as they all fit differently. And many people buy too large of a helmet, so if you have never worn a helmet before, you want to get a knowledgeable person to help you out. I love the modular helmets....so nice to be able to live up the front portion on those hot days!

Some nice items to consider

Drop down sun visor!! Sunny out, it drops down....cloudy keep it up!!
Pinlock system.....helps the visor to stay fog-free on those cold morning rides
Ratchet chin strap...
Modular helmets....the front portion goes up..downside is that they can be a bit heavier and noiser than a traditonal helmet.

My review on the shoei neotec 2 Shoei Neotec 2 Helmet

I had a cheapy Bell helmet and it was very noisy.... Neotec 2 isnt exactly a quiet helmet, but much better than that bell.

Reactions: Big Shrek

·
Registered
2007 Spirit VT750C2 "Blaze"
26 Posts
Full face is good! I have a Bilwell Gringo that I use biltwell moto 2 goggles with.. no bells and whistles but it is Dot and ECE certified.. And its comfortable.

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,124 Posts
I agree with many posts on here. You have to try on dozens of helmets by various makers. I chose HJC because it just seemed to fit my head better than the others.

Full Face -- The best. Many many riders wear FF helmets. I'm one of those unfortunate ones who can't, due to some bizarre type of mental thing or claustrophobia or whatever you want to call it. I put on a FF helmet, and I can't breathe. I get all weirded out, and I yank it off my head.

3/4 Open Face -- The next best. My first helmet was an HJC AC-3 that was awesome, very comfortable, and also very safe, even Snell approved. It wore out (i.e. past it's lifespan), so I opted for another HJC. Since they no longer make the AC-3 anymore, I went with the CL-33. Same ratcheting face shield as the AC-3, but just not Snell approved.

1/2 Helmets -- These are okay for the summer, if you have a windshield. I would love to have a 1/2 helmet for the blistering hot summer days, but my '07 Shadow Aero 750 doesn't have a windshield. I always remember the day when I took a large bug smack dab right square in my face shield, and startled me! I always think "just imagine if I didn't have a face shield. What does a bug taste like at 55-60 mph?" Ick....

Modular Helmets -- The toss-up between 3/4 Open Face and a FF Helmet. These are a great option, as the entire chin section rotates upward. The only bad thing is they are way heavier and more bulkier than FF Helmets.

In a nutshell: Try on dozens of helmets, and one will say, "Buy me, and let's go for a ride!". :)

Reactions: Big Shrek

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,852 Posts
ButchA, sorry I was typing as you posted and even told me so! :D We haven't had a helmet thread for a long time.

From my experience, elongated head HJC or round head GMax . Interior of the HJC from 10 yrs. ago had a felt like liner thus causing hot head. GMax for round head. GMax uses "CoolMax" technology since their introduction thus more comfortable. We have 5 GMax including 3 FF and 2 open face. Had two halfies of different make's and my ears don't do well with them. Sold them. Also avoid cheap Chinese imports available @ cheap scooter shops!

Most the time the open face Derk (as pictured) which is a very well padded (quiet) but do not get caught in a "goose drowner" with no visor as I have 2x while sporting the optional visor in place of the shield as displayed. BTW the tinted visor comes too close to my nose thus never use it as I also wear my sunglasses instead.

As for using a shield with helmet on, meh. Never been a issue with the gear I've used except the halfies. Shields are a totally different debate but...

The only drawback I have with GMax is they changed/developed FF models alot early on and I couldn't get replacement inner liners for 1st. two as they were closeout's when I purchased them but with the "5 yr. rule" mandate, I guess that could factor in as they were at least 7 yrs. old when my FF (worn the most) front headliner started getting worn.

As far as rating, DOT can be as good as some that are Snell rated but outside FF all are DOT. Modular's offer alot more flexibility but are usually heavier but if you got "head muskcals' ".... :p

Reactions: ButchA

·
Registered
641 Posts
Shoeie RF1200, nice helmet is around 3.5 lbs. The neotec 2 is around 3.8 lbs...Some of the other mods on the market are lighter. I dont find it heavy at all

Reactions: longbeachgary1

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
142 Posts
I use a Shoei GT Air...

Wait...that's not the GT Air!

Here's the GT Air with the Valkyrie...

...and here's the GT Air with the Shadow...

Seems to work well on both motorcycles front or back!

🤠

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Another nolan fan here. My first was an N-100 modular, second an N-102 with the Ncom audio. Presently riding with an N-104 evo, also with Ncom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like my brain and face the way they are.
First helmet $100, next Arai Quantum 2.
Now AGV sportmodular 3 lbs!
Pricey at 500 sale, to 800 retail and worth it.
If it has Euro ECE and DOT = its awesome
All modular are DOT, wont pass Snell

Snell uses different test and designed for racing impacts.

AGV any model, they build to 20 percent above spec.
Bell are great IF your head shape fits inside
Adventure helmets are a cross of dirt and street technolgy, dot certified, great if claustrophobic or large eyeglasses or long nose.

How much to spend?
How much is your hospital deductible?

Helmet should fit tight, skin of face should move with wiggle.
If its super comfortable its too big.
When you find your head shape you can look up brand and models of that shape on Zilla.
Round oval fits many riders.
Wear prospective helmet for 30 minutes in the store, turning head, walk around, shake head to simulate riding
A lot of good helmets have multi layer liner which shapes to your head and softens impacts.
Liners compress so buying tight is right!
After a few years replace liner for max protection.
Loose fit allows severe impact to brain.

I already haba enuf Dame Brambage!!

Note, 5 years lifespan from manufacture is because the glues delaminate and helmet failure when needed is very likely

Once, a doctor asked if I felt suicidal
I replied, Only when I wear a half helmet!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I usually wear a 3/4 helmet with a flip-up faceshield. I purchased it a Cycle Gear store.
I also have a full face that I rarely wear...In fact, the only time I've worn it was riding back from the store I purchased it from. I bought it earlier this year for cold weather riding, which will be coming up soon. :cautious:
In the past, I've had a Nolan 3/4, also with a flip-up faceshield. which I liked.
I've had a number of modular helmets over the years, too. Nolan, Scorpion, and others.

As a newer rider, I'd recommend you get a full face or a modular...they give the best protection.
Since others have suggested different makes and models, I'll give my 2 cents of advice on purchasing instead...

Internet Purchase? No. There's no way you can tell if the helmet you ordered will fit you well until you receive it. Don't be tempted by all the options and shiny colors. Local stores may not have the same large selection available over the net, but a good fit is better than a super-cool look.

Store Purchase? Yes, with a couple of caveats.:

You should buy at a store that has a salesman to help you out with fit and advice. Some stores will allow you to exchange a helmet after a reasonable time in case it doesn't fit as well as you like. I've had at least one helmet that I could swear fit perfectly in the store, but it became apparent after wearing it for the ride home that it wasn't going to work for me. (To be fair, I'm not sure how stores are handling this in these days of COVID, though.)

Watch out for helmets that have been drastically reduced in price. The conventional wisdom is that helmets should be replaced every 5 years.* Sometime those helmets on sale have been sitting on the shelves for most of that time. Look under the lining for the date of manufacture. They may not be the bargain they seem to be.

Brighter colors, while especially, will be more visible.

Don't fall for tinted face shields unless you never expect to be caught riding in the dark, or through a long tunnel.
If you want a sunshield, an interior flip-up one is a better option. Oh yeah...Polarized sunglasses don't play well with helmet faceshields. You get weird diffraction effects. If you want to go that way, make sure the sunglasses are not polarized. Those'll work. :cool:

*A lot of people will argue the 5 year thing. Just so you know. I'm not taking sides. :censored:

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,852 Posts
I agree with Menhir except on the modular style being a safer option. Having a hinged chin bar so to speak seems to be a piece going into my head upon impact. 80% of impacts involve face/head 1st. "road kissing" and that hinge is definitely a weak spot plus additional weight but I don't buy a helmet for "what if" as much as for comfort/quietness thus the FF is my tour/cool weather helmet and my open face is my local helmet though I seem to get caught in torrential rain 2x with it on. There isn't much safe shelter on the wide open prairie to take. Checking the weather forecast which has been so accurate in my area this year I beginning to think "unexplainable powers" are in play.

About every small town here seem to have a community park with a picnic shelter thus these are logged into my "hard drive/noggin' ". o_O:LOL:

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,739 Posts
... (To be fair, I'm not sure how stores are handling this in these days of COVID, though.)...
Due to Covid, stores here will not even let you touch a helmet. The sales clerks who know nothing about helmets, will lift it and show you and if you are going to buy they will let you try it on. If you decide it doesnt fit they wipe it off.

On-line the manufacturers will often have a way for you to at least measure your head and make a suggestion. . I think Revzilla does. I was buying in March so did the measurements, called HJC got a recommendation and bought online with a no question return policy. The helmet has been perfect. I think its may be better than in store since helmets in store must be very tight. This one I may not have bought as seemed very tight but has loosened with a few weeks use. The first week I could not even smile !!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree with Menhir except on the modular style being a safer option.
And I agree with your disagreement. :giggle:

I should have worded it more clearly...
A full face is safest.
Modular is next...not as good as a full face, but better than the other alternatives.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm a new rider looking for a motorcycle helmet. What do you guy own?
I have two. My first is a Scorpion full-face. For a $100 helmet, it is both DOT and Snell approved. That's my cold-weather helmet. The second is a $300 Shark Evoline that is fully convertible. The chin bar pulls up and rotates all the way back and locks into place on top of and behind the helmet so there's no awkward shelf there like a modular. This way you can ride with the chin bar up and face shield up and having the wind in your face, but if you get on the freeway or things seem a little dicey, you can just reach up and pull the chin bar down. This one is DOT approved, but not Snell, as the chin bar is not fully protective due to the seams that allow it to be pulled up.

I love them both and would recommend them both to anyone buying. Plus, the graphics are kick-ass, and that's the most important thing, right? sarcasm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts