Honda Shadow Forums banner

Motorcycle Helmets, What do you ride with?

7K views 73 replies 37 participants last post by  UncleDan 
#1 ·
Good morning, everyone! I would like to discuss helmets, and not just because of my recent accident, but because I am a bit torn on the subject. As you may know from my post about laying my bike down, I was not wearing my helmet, obviously a big mistake, fortunately I did not suffer any head injury other than some abrasions on my face. I do own a helmet, not a fancy or expensive helmet but it is what I believe they call the 3/4 helmet. Every ride I took previous to the unfortunate one if I was going anywhere but in town 25 mph speed limit, I always had it on. So, my first question is what type of helmet do you guys wear? I am thinking about getting a different one and would like some real-world feedback. One major thing I do not like about my helmet is on warm days it is quite hot! Another thing is the buckle always seemed to catch on my jacket when I would turn my head, also very annoying. And finally and this may be a fitment issue but getting up to highway speeds you could feel it getting lifted by the wind which also gives some extra unwanted pressure on the underside of the chin and neck area. In all honesty I do not like the thought of riding with a helmet because I like the wind in my face and the feeling of the sun on my skin. With that being said I am no fool, I bought and wore my helmet because I am a new inexperienced rider, I know the current times we live in there are people out there paying less attention to the road and driving than they should be and some seem to almost act like they are paying no attention to the what they are doing because whatever their phone is doing is the most important thing in the world. Then there is my wife and kids, I want to be there for them for as long as possible, so safety has to be first. After my recent incident my wife is extra on edge about me riding and will absolutely be on me about my helmet, which I already assured her will never be an issue. So I ask all of you out there for your opinions, experiences, and anything else you would like to throw out there about your helmet of choice and any advice for selecting a great helmet. I thank you all in advance this is truly a great community or really great people and I am proud and honored to be a part of it! Enjoy your rides everyone and ride safe!

See less See more
#3 ·
I ALWAYS wear my helmet and an armored riding jacket. I have an LS2 Street fighter because I was a new rider, it was Snell rated, and it was cheap. After riding with it though, I'm not really a fan. It doesn't have an option for a sun shade, and because I wear glasses and almost always forget my prescription sunglasses, when the sun is bright, I'm screwed.

I'm currently in the market for a new helmet, one that has an internal flip down sunshade. HJC seems to make a nice one, which I think I'll be ordering soon.

#4 ·
IMO head shape is critical to fit, determine the shape of your melon first.
Fit is extremely important in the safety of the bucket you choose.

In my case I have a long oval head and take an XXL or larger helmet depending on the manufacturer, that makes selection of options easier due to the limitations.

My regular helmets these days were both on the cheap end of things a Gmax 3/4 helmet, DOT rated and LS2 Rapid Solid full face, DOT and ECE rated.
I use the 3/4 helmet mostly when riding in town, it is less safe, but in stop and go traffic it's less hassle.

I wear glasses and use clip-on shades from Walmart with them, I have not found a drop down visor that didn't annoy me in some way.
One of these days I'll probably get an Arai or another custom fitted Bell, but until then, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

I only go without a helmet when riding in the driveway or on the lawn.

#6 ·
I have a Nolan 100-5 . It's a modular with an internal flip down sun shade. I installed their com unit for my music and to talk with who ever I'm riding with or my daughter on the back.
I also have a half helmet for short rides on hot days.
I like the Nolan for trips because you can flip it up when going slow through villages or down on the highway or in rain .

#7 · (Edited)
Hellhound - Good post topic!

Until recently, would always wear a full-face helmet except perhaps a test ride in the neighborhood. That said, back in Spring was doing a post-wash ride up/down the street on my dirt bike, sans a helmet or gloves and really hurt myself when the front wheel unexpectedly lost grip turning into the driveway. Hit the ground hard with my right leg pinned between the bike and the asphalt. Fortunately didn't hit my head, but had a very badly bruised kneecap, sprained left wrist/right big toe, and badly scraped hands. All at about 2MPH!
Ever since, even on a short test ride, I always wear helmet and gloves as a minimum.

More to your point, recently got an inexpensive (SkidLid) shorty helmet specifically for test rides on the dirt bikes, or a quick trip around the block on the Shadow. Much cooler option and definitely get a more open feel/breeze when riding, yet decent head protection for lower speed rides.
For any road with a 45MPH or greater speed limit, its always the full face helmet, complete with gloves and riding boots. As with the helmet, also got myself a lower cut set of riding boots for more casual riding and short hops. Amazing how vulnerable your feet are too, so do get some boots if you don't already have some.Got mine at Big5 for under $40, very affordable. Kevin 🌵

www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/response-gear-6-delivery-ii-mens-service-boots/5385104970013/_/A-4335618

Clothing Bicycle helmet Helmet Sports equipment Sports gear

#9 ·
Hellhound - Good post topic!

Until recently, would always wear a full-face helmet except perhaps a test ride in the neighborhood. That said, back in Spring was doing a post-wash ride up/down the street on my dirt bike, sans a helmet or gloves and really hurt myself when the front wheel unexpectedly lost grip turning into the driveway. Hit the ground hard with my right leg pinned between the bike and the asphalt. Fortunately didn't hit my head, but had a very badly bruised kneecap, sprained left wrist/right big toe, and badly scraped hands. All at about 2MPH!
Ever since, even on a short test ride, I always wear helmet and gloves as a minimum.

More to your point, recently got an inexpensive (SkidLid) shorty helmet specifically for test rides on the dirt bikes, or a quick trip around the block on the Shadow. Much cooler option and definitely get a more open feel/breeze when riding, yet decent head protection for lower speed rides.
For any road with a 45MPH or greater speed limit, its always the full face helmet, complete with gloves and riding boots. As with the helmet, also got myself a lower cut set of riding boots for more casual riding and short hops. Amazing how vulnerable your feet are too, so do get some boots if you don't already have some. Got mine at Big5 Sporting Goods, for under $50, very affordable! Kevin 🌵
Thank you I thought it might be a solid topic. Definitely appreciate your insight and info. I'm definitely thinking full helmet for sure!

#12 · (Edited)
Shoei GT-Air for me. Vents really well, very quiet in the wind and has removable innards. Also, Shoei offers different sized innards for a custom fit.

I highly recommend Cycle Gear for helmets. They will help you get the right fit and they offer great pricing. Different manufacturer's helmets fit different shaped heads and Cycle Gear offers a good assortment of manufacturers . They will also let you take up to a week to test fitment and then return if it does not work out. (At least pre-covid they did!)

Anyway, I bought mine on sale at a nice discount. I believe it was the prior season's color.

Remember, your noggin is kinda important. Keeping it safe should be a high priority!

#13 ·
When I bought my Phantom, I was given an LS2 Rapid with the purchase. It was ok to start off with but, I wanted a modular helmet. I ended up with the HJC C91. It has decent ventilation and, a drop down visor. I was able to source a cardo g9x for $75.00 for music/communications (if needed). I am happy with the fit of the helmet and, to be able to lift the front at a light for additional air.

Being a new rider, I don't ever feel like I could/would want to wear anything less than a full face.

#39 ·
Being a new rider, I don't ever feel like I could/would want to wear anything less than a full face.
Everyone can have a reason NOT to wear a good quality full face helmet until you eat a face full of gravel. If your full face helmet is too warm lift the visor, many also have very wide fields of vision if you shop around. Don't cheap out on your head, face, and brain protection. Modulars are great.
Agreed.... while it is personal preference, I've always opted for the most protection possible. I think the last time I wore anything other than a full face helmet was probably about 40 years ago when I was a kid riding dirt bikes.

#14 ·
Sedici Systema 2 Modular. The drop down sun shield is just dark enough that I don't need sunglasses. The full face shield has the pinlock liner so no fogging. If I'm cruising neighborhoods I'll pull the chin bar up like the local cops, but over 35 and the chin bar is down with the face shield up and sun shade down. Over 50 and the full face shield is down.

#15 ·
I've ridden with a half helmet for many years. No visor, no sunshade. Same setup in any weather conditions. I wear my prescription glasses which are photochromic. When I was young I would go without, but having had two people close to me go through close head injuries, I will not do that anymore. That is a tougher battle than any road rash. It's a risk assessment/risk mitigation problem, and you decide where your risk tolerance is.

Reactions: Hellhound78
#16 ·
I have two helmets, neither are FF, as I can't wear one of those. I get all "weird" if I put on a full face helmet, and get claustrophobia or a feeling like I can't breathe, and I immediately rip the helmet off my head.

LEFT: HJC CL-33 open face 3/4 helmet with different ratcheting face shields. My primary helmet for interstates, overall commuting, etc...
RIGHT: HJC CS-2N 1/2 helmet. This is a great summertime helmet when it feels like 128° in the shade. Extremely comfortable too! Just wear earplugs as the wind turbulence will cause Tinnitus real quick! :eek:
Helmet Vertebrate Sports gear Mammal Personal protective equipment

#17 ·
I always wear a helmet. I used to choose modulars and wore them for years but I found myself, on long trips on hot days, getting drowsy from the warm air trapped in the helmet. It was like having a warm blanket on my face.
Eventually I switched over to 3/4 helmets with a face shield, preferably with a drop-down sun screen.

I am fully aware of the better protection offered by full face/modular helmets, but getting drowsy and inattentive seemed to be the bigger risk. It was a choice. Also, I find the heavier helmets more problematic since I developed degenerative disc disease some years ago. The additional weight became a small, but real, factor.

As of now, I have a half-helmet that I'm retiring. A full face that I still might wear occasionally, but has been mostly sidelined. My go-to helmet is a 3/4 as described above. It's a Z1R Road Maxx. Not elegant, but I like it. DOT and ECE rated.

Although I didn't get my latest helmet there, my first stop when searching for helmets is Cycle Gear because of their wide range of offerings and the fresh inventory. Plus they have a reasonable return period.

#23 ·
It's not off the table. I'll be keeping my eyes open for different options like this.

I have to be careful. When the pressure triggers, the result can be very painfully debilitating. I'm talking Oxy-type painkiller, tears in the eyes, feels like a knife twisting my by back debilitating. 😵
Fortunately, It's only in the very upper back. It doesn't bother me otherwise, but a certain amount of weight pressing down on my head can start to trigger it, or as my doctor told me, lifting anything above my shoulder level is my Kryptonite.
Otherwise, I'm still Superman. :cool:

I can wear my current fullface, but I only use it for shorter trips. On the other hand, I'm a bit spoiled by the greater airflow and drastically increased field of view on my 3/4.
Yes, I know I can lift the face shield on a full/face modular, but that doesn't protect my eyes or help in the rain.

Choices...I gotta make choices.

#22 ·
For short, low speed jaunts around town, it is my 1/2 helmet. Any faster riding for longer distances on the highway and such, I'm wearing my HJC full face with the visor down.
I don't know how many have experienced a large bug against their face at speed. It does NOT feel good! A large enough bug, or even a bird can bring you down. Birds ARE unlikely, however bugs are common. I once had some kind of insect so large that the splat on my visor was about 3 inches big. I immediately thought to myself, wow, glad that didn't hit my face!
My state of north Carolina has a mandatory helmet law, but even if it did not, I would still be protecting my head AND, my face.
BTW, I have foam backed Wiley riding glasses that I wear with my 1/2 helmet, but they do not protect like a full shield.

#24 · (Edited)
I DO know how you feel Menhir. I have Cervical Stenosis and a slightly ruptured L5 in my lower back. I've had to deal with back pain for many years. Definitely not easy. I'm not supposed to lift anything over 25 lbs. I just try to think ahead before I do anything that I KNOW is gonna hurt me. I won't even get into the numbing in my arms and hands from the bone spurs. ( Stenosis ) in my neck.
If I'm smart about how I approach things, then I can function with minimal pain. Sometimes, I'm just my own worst enemy.

#25 ·
I wear a Shoei RF-1400 anytime I get on the bike. It was expensive but it was also the most comfortable for me of all the full face helmets I tried on and I think I tried on damn near every full face the local Cycle Gear had in stock at the time. The Shoei has good airflow for me and I've ridden with it in several 90 plus degree days here in South Carolina

I never wore a helmet or much gear until I joined the Coast Guard back in the 90's. It was a requirement to take and pass a motorcycle safety course and wear all the gear to even bring a bike on the base I was stationed at. That got me in the habit of wearing the proper gear all the time and that habit saved my bacon when I crashed a bike hard shortly after I left the Guard in the fall of 1996.

If there is a local Cycle Gear or other shops near you with a good selection go and try on as many different helmets as you can and once you find one you like wear it around the shop for a bit to much sure it's comfortable after having it on for a while.

#26 ·
Firm believer in ATGATT. I don't go out of the driveway without full gear, including a full-face helmet.

People complain about the strap on their helmet, lack of airflow, reduced peripheral vision. They also complain about fit, comfort, even style.

Some of these complainers are now dealing with eating through a straw for several weeks because of a broken jaw, reduced vision because of damage to their optic nerve, headaches because of some of their skull is missing or replaced with a plate. And some are stuck in a different kind of 4-wheel vehicle, like a wheel chair.

I work in a hospital emergency room and I've seen all of these. I can't get preachy with these guys, they knew the risks. It was their choice.

Just sayin'.

#50 ·
Direct and to the point, I like that and you did not pull punches I also like that. To me that is what I wanted this topic to be all about. I thank you for your "gut punch" response! I heard many stories from the people in the ER and the hospital about what they have seen from accidents on bikes especially without helmets. I know I was being watched over from above, I cannot even say I was lucky because that seems to be far too much luck for any one person in such a situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.