Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
In the military we get boil in the bag meals. We can cook them with ration heaters, or the preferred method-in a pressure cooker on a coleman stove. Sometimes we get nothing to heat them up so we improvise-I have used the engine on a tank or truck to heat them up or keep them warm. Gotta watch how long they sit lest the tank end up covered in lasagna, salmon or beans.

Dingo.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I distinctly remember a magazine article from sixties or early seventies titled "V8 Cookery". The author was placing a whole beef roast on top of the car's intake manifold. I really don't think that ever really became that popular as I've never heard it mentioned since.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Reminds me of a great Mythbusters episode. I used to heat my morning tacos on my engine on the way to work every morning from Fremont to San Fran.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I distinctly remember a magazine article from sixties or early seventies titled "V8 Cookery". The author was placing a whole beef roast on top of the car's intake manifold. I really don't think that ever really became that popular as I've never heard it mentioned since.
I work in construction and heavy equipment operators do it all the time. Its amazing what they can cook.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife and I take trips on the bike. We've been to Colorado twice. We don't stay in a campground, we stay in the wilderness. I've got a thing I do: Take foil pan 4 X 8 X 4 and put in whatever meat or fish, frozen vegetables with sliced onions and potatoes. A little salt, pepper and butter. Cover the opening with foil. Set it in the coals for 20-30 minutes. When the food's gone you can toss everything. Nothing to haul in the saddle bag. Go to the next place. While the wife sets up camp I go into town with empty bags and buy more ingredients and another foil pan. National forest access roads are great places to find out of the way places to camp.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My wife and I take trips on the bike. We've been to Colorado twice. We don't stay in a campground, we stay in the wilderness. I've got a thing I do: Take foil pan 4 X 8 X 4 and put in whatever meat or fish, frozen vegetables with sliced onions and potatoes. A little salt, pepper and butter. Cover the opening with foil. Set it in the coals for 20-30 minutes. When the food's gone you can toss everything. Nothing to haul in the saddle bag. Go to the next place. While the wife sets up camp I go into town with empty bags and buy more ingredients and another foil pan. National forest access roads are great places to find out of the way places to camp.
Beezer man you and I need to meet up sometime in the middle of Texas. Moonbeam and I do nothing but camp out all around these parts every summer. Sounds like what we do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought this bike in 2001. It had been stored for many years. I worked on it for several months adding the bags, floorboards, seat, replaced the alternator and a lot more. Built the trailer and hitch. This is the first trip we ever took. On the way out the first morning. Two weeks and 2500 miles later we passed this spot on our way back sunburned and tired. We took a lot of trips with this rig. I've had two bikes since. I have to build another trailer, maybe not. I don't know yet. New wife, and she rides her own bike. That means two bikes and two pairs of saddle bags. We may get by without a trailer now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts