Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was going to buy that one at Sears, saw it was on sale for like $100 a few weeks back.
I happened to be in WalMart , and saw what appeared to be the same jack.
It is manufactured (or sold under the label rather) of GM Goodwrench, and sells for around $79.99.
It is not listed on their website, but i have looked at both jacks/lifts in person, and it is the same exact lift.

I have used it only once, to lube the chain, and clean wheels. It includes 2 ratchet tie downs, and worked out well for me.
Next oil change will NOT be a knuckle buster like the last (liftless) one was!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I bought one like it for 69.95 from Harbor Freight except I have to use my own tie downs. Works fine, always strap your bike to the jack before you take it off the ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
halfcent

You can get pretty much the same item at Can Tire for about the same price. I picked one up a couple of months ago down here in Victoria for about $160, I think, only to find out that they went on sale a few weeks later for about $80...bloody typical. I've used it a few times since then and it's worked very well (especially for turning the bikes around in the garage so I can get them out again). I have an SS750 and my wife has an Intruder 800 and it picks both up very easily.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have that exact jack. The only problem with it is my bike (04 aero) is about 1/2 inch to low to slide it under. I just run it up on a couple small pieces on plywood. other than that it works great.

Ced

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have that jack. The only problem with using it on the shadows is on most of the shadows, the motor sits below the frame and you really don't want to pick the bike up by the motor. It could damage the motor mounts.

You can either use boards as spacers to get to the frame or buy the adapter from Sears that has arms that will contact the frame.

Otherwise, it works very well. I have even used it to lift the Valkyrie without a problem.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Banned
28 Posts
i bought a torin big red jack from pepboys. got it on sale for about 30.00. works great. i did cut the rail down some so it lifts from the frame.

if you don't have an immediate need wait for a good sale!

bill

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your replies. I guess I will have to keep my eye open for a sale, it seems there is a big price difference. Of course in Canada we expect to pay more for this sort of item, why I do not know. :cry:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had that jack. I kept it for about 30 minutes before taking it back (now fully assembled) to the Sears store and exchanging it for the Craftsman Professional motorcycle jack (yellow one). The pro model is about $80 more but is a MUCH better jack with good controls, easy and safe to use, etc. It will also slide under my 06 Aero which, as someone has already stated, was too low for the red jack.

I recommend the Pro model at Sears. I don't recommend the regular (red) one. Just my 2 cents worth of course.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For us inexperienced folks, what do you use as the tie points on the bike when fastening the tie straps to the jack? Photos anyone? Seems like, straps or no, getting the bike balanced on the jack would be critical.

·
Registered
88 Posts
wpur said:
For us inexperienced folks, what do you use as the tie points on the bike when fastening the tie straps to the jack? Photos anyone? Seems like, straps or no, getting the bike balanced on the jack would be critical.
For me, the natural location for the jack has the bike well balanced. I do tie around the front peg mounts. Actually - I have installed floorboards and I put the tie from one side of the jack across the place where the floorboard (or peg) mounts to the frame, then to the other side of the jack. It's pretty stable that way.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Torin Big Red motorcycle jack is on sale at Pep Boys thru today, March 3rd. Looks very similar to the 1500 lb model at Harbor Freight.
$49.99 after $20 rebate.
Needs to have adapters made for the VT1100, tho.

Dave

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
The red one is the cheap one as far as I know. the Aluminum one does not offer any better options as far as lifting my bike goes. Plus it is lighter and I prefer a heavy steel jack anyways.

The Aluminum (expensive one) was $80 ish and comes with a 2 inch height extender. Something that I don't need since I ride a cruiser

The jack worked perfectly, hopefully I do not run into the problems people were complaining about in the reviews.

·
Registered
369 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts