Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has been caught without one and what happened in court ?
got caught with only learners permit , My violation was not riding with other licensed riders what is going to happen in court? this happened in Virginia

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I think they treat it quite seriously, you could have killed someone maybe a child so they will throw the book at you.. I hear they still have chain gangs there where they put you while deciding if you are going to get life or the Chair..

Lucky you are not a muslim living in the Yemen, they cut your head off in the market square.

John.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Well, I don't know the exact fine that you'll face, but there will be one, as well as 3 points on your license. Here's the statute in Va. I highly doubt you'd face jail time for a first offense as long as you pay the fine. Seems they don't mess around in your state ...

Driving Without a Valid License under 46.2-300 is a Class 2 misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail, a $1000 fine, and a 90-day license suspension. A second violation is a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable by 12 months in jail, $2,500 in fines, and a 90-day license suspension. Driving Without a Valid License also carries three DMV demerit points and stays on your DMV record for three years (though it stays on your criminal record permanently).

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have no idea what they will do to you. I just wanted to say that the whole riding with another licensed rider is, in my opinion, a truly stupid rule. In what way is a rider on another bike possibly going to help a new rider? Makes no sense.

Pennsylvania doesn't have that rule. Here the only restrictions on a permit holder are not carrying a passenger and not riding at night.

Good luck in court.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have no idea what they will do to you. I just wanted to say that the whole riding with another licensed rider is, in my opinion, a truly stupid rule. In what way is a rider on another bike possibly going to help a new rider? Makes no sense.

Pennsylvania doesn't have that rule. Here the only restrictions on a permit holder are not carrying a passenger and not riding at night.

Good luck in court.
I completely agree with everything you stated. We don't have such a stupid thing anywhere in Canada.

Dingo.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Here in GA, (I understand that) anyone on any kind of "learner permit" guilty of violation, the penalty is stiff!
Cancelation of permit is first and foremost!!
Then you cannot get whatever permit you were "learning" = for a period of time, plus fines and other ramifications ...

Hopefully the courts won`t cut off your throttle hand :D

EDIT^^
Yeah, the restrictions on Learner permit here, is/are No passengers, No interstate and No nights; otherwise you ride and "learn"...

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
got caught with only learners permit , My violation was not riding with other licensed riders what is going to happen in court? this happened in Virginia
Whatever the judge rules in your case except it and learn from it. Whether you or we agree that the State's provision of riding on a learners permit requires you to ride with a licensed driver is ridiculous, it's still the part of the rules and regulations, which you agreed to when you signed your name on the application. I'm wondering what else did you do to draw the attention of the police officer to pull you over. They just don't pull anyone over without a reason.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Whatever the judge rules in your case except it and learn from it.
So, whats the exception?

In KY there is really no restriction other than no passengers during the 30 day waiting period before you can take the test.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm wondering what you were doing that caused you to get pulled over.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
I think they treat it quite seriously, you could have killed someone maybe a child so they will throw the book at you.. I hear they still have chain gangs there where they put you while deciding if you are going to get life or the Chair..

Lucky you are not a muslim living in the Yemen, they cut your head off in the market square.

John.
Shouldn't laugh, but I did.. :D ...

... As far as the driving within the boundary of the agreement on that permit thing.. Don't worry about it.. You are a BAD BOY! ..but unless you have a history of being a bad boy, I doubt you will be thrown in the clink.. ;)

Normally these things include fines and other-such suchy-such.. Nobody has money anymore to lock people up for stupid stuff..

The penalty would likely be based on previous record.. If you are a hopeless case, they would likely throw an affordable book at you.. If you are pretty good guy and - like you say.. It's a daft law.. They may see it as just that and use it to shoe-horn some cash from your pockets..

Either way.. I wouldn't worry about it too much.. The stressing over it will likely be worse than the penalty of it.

You're still a Bad-boy tho'! ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Go to court with good excuses... what have you got to lose?
Wear a black suit and dark sunglasses and use the Jake method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftt4f2H3GDs
He might get away with it, up to the passionate kiss.

When I was a teen, I got pulled over on a Honda 90. Cop says "You have no license, you were speeding and you made three illegal lane changes. I'll give you a choice. Which one would you like?"
I took the lane change ticket.

Those were the days.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts

Just remember you were only violating ONE of the provisions of your permit.
You were not riding without a permit.

I would arrive at court 40 mins early and ask to speak with the prosecutor, get that request in immediately by simply waiting until he is in-between cases and approaching him an asking to speak when he has a minute.

Then just sit in the courtroom and wait for his signal. Explain to him that
you want to ask for supervision or some plea that make the effect of paying a fine only and nothing else happens. It would help if you can somehow explain to them this is the best solution.

Even if you just go to court and face the judge only this is the approach.

Like others have said, its in your best interest to have as much completed by your court date as possible with regards to getting you license (if that possible when riding on a Ticket) *or* the training course.

The main thing is to let them know you are a good guy who made one mistake in ONE of the provisions of the permit,
they shouldn't screw you over too bad and it should NOT prevent you from going forward getting your license imo.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts