Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone has a 750 Shadow Spirit AND a recommendation for a lift suitable for changing oil and cleaning wheels and performing other maintenance. It looks like some of them would make removing the oil filter and placing an oil drain pan underneath the bike quite difficult. Granted, it's nearly impossible otherwise...unless you have a friend you trust to lean your bike against while you tilt it on its right side.

I looked at a $139 lift from Cycle Gear and it seems like it might work. I also looked at some from Sears (online only.) I would appreciate any recommendations or warnings.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Lots of folks around here have the Harbor freight one and love it. I dont have one yet, that's the one I'll get though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just read about the Harbour Freight one online...it's the least expensive at just under $90. Too bad my brother does still not work there so I could get a discount!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
For changing the oil etc buy a 2x6, cut pieces for both wheels and the side stand to sit on. place them on the floor and ride the bike up on them. If you feel a need to go 2 boards high cut the ends at a 45 to make it easier to pull up on.
You can also attach to a piece of plywood so it is all set up when you need to use it. The plywood will catch any mishaps.
For cleaning wheels they make a piece with 2 rollers on it. Pull the desired wheel onto it and you can freely rotate the wheel for cleaning.

·
Registered
19,077 Posts
My lift table came with a `68 Ironhead Sportster on it, That`s what synched the deal!!!
It is an Air Lift Motorcycle Table, I`ve seen the same lift in shops around here... I heard these retail fer $6-$1200...
Man it is GREATto be up & OFF the ground!!!
I used to lift my Bike with a standard 2ton floorjack, and/OR Lean it over on the kickstand to place a series of wood blocks under it as it came higher...
Routine Maintenance is a whole lot better now!!!
Try it, You`ll like it,
Dennis

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wonderful discussion and comments! I think I will try the 2x6 idea for changing oil since it will cost the least. I was RIFd from my K-12 school system IT support job about 2 weeks ago, which is one of the reasons I am learning to do more maintenance on my own. Can't see paying someone else to do the easier jobs any longer. I will probably get the Harbour Freight lift later when I get back to work.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way...I'm not sure if any of you guys are on Facebook or not, but I'd sure like to see a 'Like' button on these posts so I could flag some of them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wonderful discussion and comments! I think I will try the 2x6 idea for changing oil since it will cost the least. I was RIFd from my K-12 school system IT support job about 2 weeks ago, which is one of the reasons I am learning to do more maintenance on my own. Can't see paying someone else to do the easier jobs any longer. I will probably get the Harbour Freight lift later when I get back to work.
This is the better approach for changing the oil. You want the bike on the kickstand so the oil can drain completely out. If you have it on a lift or jack, the bike is now standing straight up so you would have to lower it back onto the kickstand anyway to get it to drain properly.
Jacks and lifts are great for any job where the bike needs to be completely off the ground such as tire changes, easier access for cleaning, etc., but they just make for additional work during oil changes.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i have the craftsman lift (cheap one). I bought it online, it was cheaper online ($20) and they had a 15% online only discount.... so i paid just over $90 and i picked it up at a store on my way home from work.. it does make changing the oil much easier..

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently purchased the lift from Harbor Freight at quite a nice deal ($59) and I love it...because I can now clean the rims much more easily and I know it will come in handy for other detailing and maintenance. However, when I tried to change the oil, the lift was in the way of both the drain bolt AND the filter; and there was no place to put the drain pan even if I could get to them. So, I went with the 2x6s and it was a much easier task. I still went through a lot of paper towels, but I had no problems getting at anything. I think I will drill a hole in the 2x6s and hang them on the wall with some of my other tools!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just read about the Harbour Freight one online...it's the least expensive at just under $90. Too bad my brother does still not work there so I could get a discount!
This is the one I got from Harbor Freight.
Picture of my bike before I did the bob on the frame!
The bottom of the frame is about chest high! A little less maybe!
Depending on how tall you are I guess! LOL!
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Tire

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now THAT is a nice lift!!!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
RBinTEX, that just could not be your home garage, or is it? How stable is the lift, and how about posting pics taken from different angles of it. And what's that other thing you have lifting up your bike in your signature pic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The bike is in front of it's storage unit! It is between my Clock Repair shop and my wood craft area where I work on clock cases connected with my clock repair business.
It is under a metal top carport that is 80 foot long!
The signature picture shows a small portion of the 2 story garage with a car lift in front of the bike with a sheet of plywood on it that we used for a work bench at the time.
That is my son in the background eating lunch.
The thing under the bike is as follows:
Motorcycle Cruiser Adjustable Center Stand Lift Jack | eBay
Here are two more views of the lift.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

The right side view is 1/2 up and the other side is all the way up!
It was bought at Harbor Freight
High Position Motorcycle Lift

I paid about $180.00 for it! Anything else?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.