Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a hyralic motorcycle lift for my 600 VLX and ended up returning it. The problem is all the engine parts that hang below the frame rails. I'm still looking for a solution.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I purchased mine at Sams Club. It has a adaptor plate with 4 adjustable v shaped pieces that rotate in about a 4in circle as well as adjusting up and down. works great on my 1100 ACE. I will get the brand name and post it when I get home from work tonight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lift

Most hydraulic lifts have to either be modified or purchased with an adaptor to pick the bike up at the frame rails. I have a Harbor Freight lift which i modified by welding V shape pieces of angle iron to the lift. It works well but you still have to tie it down when you lift it for stability.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The lift I have for my 1100 ACE is a Larin model MAL-2, I did a quick search could not find it on the Larin corporate site. I did find the MAL-2C on www.motorcyclejacks.com for $179.97. About $100.00 more than I payed for mine 2 years ago at Sams Club. The only problem I have is I have to run the wheel up on a couple pieces of 2x6 to get the clearance to go under the bike. then you can set the rubber coated V shaped pieces to lign up with your frame. It also has outriggers that strech out towards the wheels to stabalize it. Also 2 hand screws you can turn down against the floor so it cant be accidentally moved.
My wife had bought me one at the local Honda dealer (she wont tell me how much she payed) But it would not work. It just had the two flat rails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Lift

WilliePerk said:
Most hydraulic lifts have to either be modified or purchased with an adaptor to pick the bike up at the frame rails.
Yep, that is definitely the issue. I found a scissors jack that has two sets of V-supports that can be moved on the jack and positioned right under the frame rails. Here is the link on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...011QQitemZ320088606177QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Anyone tried this kind of jack successfully with a cruiser?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I bought a Torin motorcycle lift at Northern Tool on sale for around $89. I modified it to fit around the bottom of the engine because the frame rails are not even. I put some wood strips in the left "trough" to even out the lift since the left side of the bike frame sits higher than the right side. Works perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of lifting my bike from above. I have a very heavy beam in my shop. I thought I might buy some tube steel, mount it above the beam and use a pulley system and a warn wench I have laying around to lift it???

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
That adapter looks great, Except it cost more than I paid for the jack on sale LOL, I'm going to have to make some thing like it but much cheaper to make than buy, I have the Harbor freight lift and it works great the few times I used it so far, Just not on the Honda yet, Have not had the need yet but this spring I plan to do a few things that the lift will be handy for.

Dauntae

·
Registered
41 Posts
i bought the yellow one from harbor frieght, and i really like it , didnt feel like it had any problems or limits, i never left the jack with a load on it , i put the lock safety on it , recently i bought the BIG 8ft motorcycle lift and i am very happy with it the only down fall is the jack has no oil in it so remember to put oil in it , little assembly required , very good lift and would highly recommend

·
Registered
37 Posts
That adapter looks great, Except it cost more than I paid for the jack on sale LOL, I'm going to have to make some thing like it but much cheaper to make than buy, I have the Harbor freight lift and it works great the few times I used it so far, Just not on the Honda yet, Have not had the need yet but this spring I plan to do a few things that the lift will be handy for.

Dauntae
Personally I don't use that adapter either, same reason as you. Too expensive! Shouldn't be too hard to build one like it tho.

I do use hockey pucks on my lift placed under the frame where needed.

I do have a bike specific adapter which has attachable legs to become a work stand for my Venture. Thinking about building something like for the honda.

Phil

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Would the lift still fit under the bike with the adapter mounted to it??? That was the problem I had with my bike. Even now, I have to roll the front wheel up on a 2 x 8 so I have enough clearance to roll the lift under it. I put a 2 x 4 under the side stand and it works great.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put a 4X4 under the kickstand or just hold bike upright to slide my lift under bike. My lift is the yellow Craftsman model. I think the Harbor freight lift is a direct copy of it. Once you know where the hockey pucks need to be you can mark your lift to place pucks in proper positions for each bike.

My neighbor made a 2X4 lift cradle to fit his Vmax for when he borrows my lift.
Glad its not a Venture so he doesn't borrow my stand also.

Later Phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.