Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I hope it is okay for me to answer here as well.
Here's the deal. The Purolator Classic L14610 (long) and L14612 (short) as well as the Purolator Pure One PL14610 and PL14612 are filter applications for automobiles that just happen to meet specifications for our Honda motorcycles and work very well. I have been a Purolator L14610 for quite some time. I have read the opinion of some others that the Pure One filters have considerably more filter media in them that may restrict oil flow in a smaller motorcycle engine verses a larger, say, V6 or V8 automobile engine. I can't confirm this, but it is a concern to me. I don't believe you will be doing any harm by using the Classic L14610 or L14612 with around a 5K oil and filter change.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have found that napa has an oil filter #01334 for my VT700C 1985 that is the EXACT same model that is used on my subaru, at least i know i can buy these in bulk now haha.

what is the optimum oil type for this bike? i have found 10W-40 listed in the manual but i put in 10W-30 as i run in colder climates, would this affect the engine at all?

·
Registered
808 Posts
As long as you engine gets up to its normal temp, it should still be a 40. For colder climes, you usually need a lower low number.
Go with Rotella T6 available at wally mart. It is a 5W - 40, so will work just dandy when it is cold out and still is a 40 when warmed up plus it is a full synthetic so will protect your engine better than petro-based oils.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i have found that napa has an oil filter #01334 for my VT700C 1985 that is the EXACT same model that is used on my subaru, at least i know i can buy these in bulk now haha.

what is the optimum oil type for this bike? i have found 10W-40 listed in the manual but i put in 10W-30 as i run in colder climates, would this affect the engine at all?
Be careful with the 10W-30. Most 10w-30's I've seen, if not all, have friction modifiers added - will do bad things to your clutch. There is an API seal (round seal, with the outer ring split into an upper and lower half) on the bottle. Look at the seal, if there is any writing in the lower half, don't use it, there are friction modifiers in it that will make your clutch slip. Only use oil with no writing in the lower half of the seal. Safest bet is to get motorcycle oil for wet clutch applicatons. Though I've used 15w-40 diesel engine oil with no problems (no friction modifiers added).

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't see how oil filter cross reference turns into an oil discussion but ok.
I have run many premium grade oil filters on my 750 with no harm done, always with mobil 1 10w40 moto grade oil.
filters used include: pureOne, mobil1, distance plus, k&n

·
Registered
661 Posts
i've recently been using a K&N oil filter - KN-303 for my Shadow Spirit VT750C2...

it has a 17mm 'bolt' at the end which makes install and removal so much more easy than those silly oil wrenches.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i've recently been using a K&N oil filter - KN-303 for my Shadow Spirit VT750C2...

it has a 17mm 'bolt' at the end which makes install and removal so much more easy than those silly oil wrenches.
I've been using the K&N also on my 08 VT750C2.. but they call for a 204 instead of the 303. The only difference between the two is the 303 is slightly longer.

Are you using a full 3qts with that filter? Just curious how much extra oil it holds...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oil filter for 2001 Shadow VLX/VT600?
10 W 40 in NYC 60-100 degrees F?
cheap sites to shop for parts, etc?
thx
question 1 - refer to post 1
question 2 - refer to owners manual & yes.
question 3 - Motorcycle Gear, Parts and Accessories at Motorcycle Superstore
Motorcycle Parts & Accessories for Cruisers: Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Harley, Goldwing
https://www.denniskirk.com/
Motorcycle Parts & Accessories | J&P Cycles
Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Leather Jacket & Leather Pants

I've ordered parts from several of those sites and have received great prices & shipping rates up and down the east coast

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Old Dad, I needed a new copy. I tend to stick with K&N and Mobile 1 though, you can find them everywhere which is a big plus when you travel. The HiFlow's are great, but have gotten very hard to find.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
After reading this I decided to hunt down a Purolator Pure 1 filter for the upcoming oil change on my VLX.

As luck would have it, the nearby Pep Boys stocks them.

I was pleasantly surprised to find they have a textured, almost like sandpaper, finish to make it easier to grip when removing or installing "hand tight."

I don't know if that's something new or not, but I though it was cool. :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 1985 VT500. According to the cross reference I can use Mobil1 M1-104 filter. Switching to this filter would actually be much cheaper for me (Mobil 1 @ $10.84 vs Honda Dealer filter @ $22) and much easier to get (no need for a special trip to dealer).

My questions: Mobil1's site makes it pretty clear that using an automotive filter on a bike is not recommended. Why?
Also, what do forum member's suggest I use given the above information?

(btw, yes, this is related to my other thread on Oil choices but I thought I'd break out the filter discussion)

Thanks

1 - 20 of 52 Posts