Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Thank you, As always, HSN Does it AGAIN!!!
Thank YOU!!!!
John boy asked me to look up cross reference for his 05 VTX, and it is listed along with more useful information for our Bikes...
Many Thanks to all who make it happen,
Dennis

·
Registered
73 Posts
Promotive 4610 filter

I have Promtive filters at my shop, they are entry level filters, but I've cut one apart and their conmstruction is decent inside, WAY better than Fram, thats for sure! What do you guys think? I don't have an owners manual for my bike, temps here now are still under 70F, thinking I should go for 10w40 eh? Going to go with Shell rotella t oil

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
And I found a problem with the FRAM 6017A cross reference to my 98 VT750, it will not fit...
It Will NOT screw on... ;)
IF you want something done the way you want it done, it is best to do it yourself...
Chickenman felt the urge to gift me a free oil change, and I told him the filter and oil I use specifically...
I use the NAPA Pro-select 21358 filter and Castrol GTX 10W40 with good results...

He bought what he wanted me to have I guess?

I`ll see how the Castrol High Mileage 10W40 works...
I hope it works better`n the FRAM 6017A :D

I got the Shinko tires on though,
D :D :D

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
MORE media means greater flow, not less. Also, a smaller engine requires LESS media, not more.
That's a fools comment. Both points are false. There is no generalization here. The size of the engine does not necessarily determine the amount of media required and certainly more media does not mean more flow.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
And I found a problem with the FRAM 6017A cross reference to my 98 VT750, it will not fit...
It Will NOT screw on... ;)
IF you want something done the way you want it done, it is best to do it yourself...
Chickenman felt the urge to gift me a free oil change, and I told him the filter and oil I use specifically...
I use the NAPA Pro-select 21358 filter and Castrol GTX 10W40 with good results...

He bought what he wanted me to have I guess?

I`ll see how the Castrol High Mileage 10W40 works...
I hope it works better`n the FRAM 6017A :D

I got the Shinko tires on though,
D :D :D
I found my fitment problem, Wrong filter in the right number box!!
It pays to look!!
Quote]
My mistake!!!
First thing I did this morning once we got together was look at the problemchild filter numbers as > 4769 is the number on the filter out of the 6017 box...
I take the blame for this mistake, OR rather the factorys mistake:wink: who put the wrong filter in the right box...

I shouldda looked yesterday,
D
[unquote

·
Registered
56 Posts
I prefer Wix filters, but they can be a bit expensive depending on the model. The O'Reilly Auto parts site, you type in the part number, at the bottom of the page, there is a compatibility tab. If you click on that tab, it will show you different cars that filter is used on. For example, the Wix 51356 will fit a 93 Ford Probe GT with a V6. So I searched for an oil filter for that car, and was then shown ALL the filters that they sell that are similar.

Point is, I can get a house brand (MicroGard, made by Puralator), but has a part number almost identical to the Wix (51356 to MGL51356). For the record, by bike is a 01 Sabre 1100.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did not find a reference number for a VT750C A (09 Shadow Aero) filter. Could someone help please?

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are two listed that should fit. One is about 2.5 inches long, the other is 3.25 inches. Looking it up, yours is in table 5, meaning 20 x 1.5mm threads. The part numbers are:

PL14612 for the 2.5 inch
PL14610 for the 3.25

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,115 Posts
Both filters from Purolator are great and really work fantastic for the money spent.

But with that said, the "14610" will be TIGHT up underneath in there...

I always stick with the smaller "14612" so I can use my 64mm filter cap with 3/8" socket hole to easily get the filter off.

Even though it was like $9.95 or something at the local auto parts store, it was well worth it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks again! Very helpful since I have the same make and model! I'll be on the look out for that filter next time I change the oil.

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,115 Posts
Cham1, not a problem... Whatever you need to know, just ask! :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just typed in the part number then oil filter search. Click on the oil filter cross reference link and it shows a lot of alternative filters. For what ever reason. When I go directly to the site and put in the part number. it will not work. But from the search page it does. Go figure.

Here is a list of what should fit my 95 1100
HONDA 15410-MFJ-D01 - Alternative oil filters

·
Registered
46 Posts
I usually use the Purolator filters myself, if my bike has a spin-on style, which this one does. I'm sure I'll catch flack for this, but I also always use Delo 15w/40 oil, and have never had an issue. Oil and filters have always been one of those touchy personal choice things anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Have used the Purolator One PL14610 OMG! You Shouldn't Use This Filter On Motorcycles-It Raises Oil Pressure! OMG! NO!

Yes. THAT filter.
Both bikes.
2.5 yrs now.

Only difference I've noticed is:

When I cut one open.

Considerably different inside, from the ones most folks consider 'appropriate' for motorcycles.

Like I was gonna listen.

-Gnarly

Ride safe. Share food. Mate often. Rinse. Repeat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My bike is '06 Shadow Aero 750

Dealer gets around $14 for genuine Honda oil filter

Is Fram filter good or not? What number? 6018? For around $7 at Walmart

What other filter would be good for my bike? Please give part number.

Thanks guys

Jerry

21 - 40 of 52 Posts