41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 VT1100C
953 Posts
My bike is '06 Shadow Aero 750

Dealer gets around $14 for genuine Honda oil filter

Is Fram filter good or not? What number? 6018? For around $7 at Walmart

What other filter would be good for my bike? Please give part number.

Thanks guys

Jerry
A regular orange can Fram is OK, but the Tough Guard and Ultra are much better filters.
I am using the Fram Tough Guard 3593a (a filter for Honda cars, but is more the size of OEM Honda Motorcycle filter).
It has a silicone ADV (which is good for motorcycles) and filters very well. It is also ~$6 at Walmart.

I have a list of other filters that fit as well at home, I can post that up later.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Blupupher, thanks. I'll look for Fram Tough Guard 3593a at Walmart. Gotta keep prices down.

BTW I change oil and filter every 3K miles because I ride 20-30 miles almost daily and don't ride longer.

Will 3593a work for my 750?

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
A regular orange can Fram is OK, but the Tough Guard and Ultra are much better filters.
I am using the Fram Tough Guard 3593a (a filter for Honda cars, but is more the size of OEM Honda Motorcycle filter).
It has a silicone ADV (which is good for motorcycles) and filters very well. It is also ~$6 at Walmart.

I have a list of other filters that fit as well at home, I can post that up later.
Fram=CRAP if you research it.
Purolater is much better, 14610 I think is the one I always use.
Frams quality is not as good as most other brands.

Photobucket stinks!

·
Registered
730 Posts

Photobucket stinks!
I have to agree here. Had to many of the fram filter not hold oil pressure at idle with cars.

·
Premium Member
1994 VT1100C
953 Posts
I have done more research than I care to think about.

If you would do some research, you would find Purolator (AKA Tearolator) has been having issues for the past 3+ years with many filters tearing as well as slits and/or tears in the anti-drainback valve (ADV).

Would you want to of had this Purolator Pure One on your bike?

How about this Purolator made Pennzoil filter:

This second one is the common fail point on them, the wide pleats next to the seam crimp, seems to tear there on both sides, top and bottom.
These are just 2 Purolators that I personally have cut open and found issues with. I have cut open other Puro made filters with no problems though, so I am not saying it is all of them, but I have never cut open any other filter make to find torn media, even in a $2 made in China filter.
There are many others on bobistheoilguy.com.

You would also find that Fram has stepped up it's game since the 90's.
The regular orange can is OK. A filter that will last 3000-5000 miles on any car. I would not use it on a bike due to the nitrile ADV. It can get stiff with the high heat of a motorcycle and not work as well. Silicone is better (although I have heard the orange can is supposed to be getting a silicone ADV)
Tough Guard is a really good filter (better filtration than Mobil 1 and K&N), and the Fram Ultra is one of the best oil filters out there.

Bash on Fram if you want, but I know better, and have all the info I need to never use a Purolator made filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
famous words in oil, filter and what gas to use posts: "i know best" lol In reality, they are probably all made at the same plant, using the same materials..juts different packaging,lol :)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I currently use the Bosch oil filter, and have had no issues. I cut all filters open now,,,just for the fun of it.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1994 VT1100C
953 Posts
famous words in oil, filter and what gas to use posts: "i know best" lol In reality, they are probably all made at the same plant, using the same materials..juts different packaging,lol :)
Yup, on and automotive/motorcycle forum nothing gets things stirred up like talking about oil and filters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
PC Racing PCS1: Honda Street PCS1

Reusable stainless, very small particle rating. Got mine through Amazon warehouse deals for about $55. I know that's expensive (especially considering it's about $85-90 new), but this isn't exactly a budget motorcycle for me anymore anyways! Plus, it's the best quality unit you can get, so I figured why not!

·
Registered
251 Posts
92 vt1100

I've been using the 7317 filter for years on the street bike and a Kawi 700 V-Force. Today had to install an STP 7317 as no others available in our rural area. I'm posting because I don't see others posting that # and am wondering if I have it wrong. Saw, St 6607, ToughGuard 3593a,
purolator 14610 and others and on Google for purolator 14610 cross reference it has all these and more?????? Thanks

Purolator L14610 - Cross reference oil filters

Kenny

41 - 52 of 52 Posts