Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi old Shadow Friends
Got my speakers and amp installed. Speakers are equal to Rumbleroads as I can compare both.
Ran amp through a relay and it shuts off with key. Good volume but small speakers of any type don't have great bass response, very good sound otherwise.
You can get the amp and speakers through:
http://stores.ebay.com/Vidsonix-Audio-Outlet_Miscellaneous_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ13QQftidZ2QQtZkm
With a mp3/radio and speakers this cost less than $200
It sounds as good as my buddies Rumbleroad setup
Installation is neat with no splicing.
Speakers are barely visible from most views

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will work, you get a radio shack earphone jack to RCA stereo output and plug it into the amp. I have a Rio mp3 and a XM radio I run through this, I have to plug in which I'm going to use

·
Registered
512 Posts
yup, I have the same setup... I run my MP3 player through it, and I have tons of music to listen to... Wind is a little over powering at 60mph though, but below that I'm fine... would probably be better if I ever installed my windshield :roll:

I don't use it as much as I would like though, I'm thinking about taking it off actually...

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Where did you get your amplifier?
I have the Rumble Roads system on my bike and I agree about the lack of base. However, the speakers are crisp and clear. I am able to hear it going 80 mph down the interstate.
It is cheaper to make your own system, by using chrome lightbar housings with 4" speakers and an external amp. I am making a system for my work bike, just have to order the amp yet. <PD<

·
Registered
37 Posts
qdude1 can you post bigger pictures, i can't see anything from the ones in your first post, thanks.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
qdude,
That's the amp I was planning to order. I think 100w should be enough to be heard on the highway. The kind/model of speakers make alot of difference also. The cheap ones I had were cheap for a reason (sounded like crap) so I got a pair of Pioneers and they rock! Audiovox makes a good pair of 4" speakers that sound pretty good also. I may gut out a pair of Bose speakers I have in the shop and see what kinda sound I get out them.
Fitting the speaker into the chrome light housings is pretty simple and if you cover them with plastic,(doesn't effect the sound) then speaker cloth, they are waterproof and look good. >PD<

·
Registered
429 Posts
You got a How-To on how to do this easy?

PainterD said:
Fitting the speaker into the chrome light housings is pretty simple and if you cover them with plastic,(doesn't effect the sound) then speaker cloth, they are waterproof and look good. >PD<

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I didn't have any problem installing 4" speakers into the light housings. The housings I bought have a lip, where the outer ring fits over. I used the smallest pop rivets I could find and riveted two of the four corners of the speaker to that lip, just to keep them centered. The trim ring holds the speakers in place when you put it on anyways. Of course, some speakers fit better than others do because of the outer ring on the speaker.
On another pair I made, I used Goop (a clear glue/sealer found in any hardware store) to adhere the speakers to the housings. That worked real well. The stuff is actually liquid rubber and I've even used it to hold the tail light on my chopper it works so well.
Where there is a will, there's a way! >PD<

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These were inexpensive speakers but they don't sound any different from RumbleroadsI. It seems that the bigger the speaker the better the bass. But then you run into the problem of overpowering large speakers ruining the look. I do believe the chrome half globe housing looks better though

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is the set-up I installed on my bike.........

Just thought I would throw this in as another option for any of you thinking about this mod. I installed a Pyle waterproof radio with full function remote in the bag and installed the remote only on the bars. The unit I used is a Pyle, PLCD18MRMP. It has the full function remote, AM/FM, CD, weather band and Mp3 player. I have burnt just a couple Mp3 CD's that have over 200 songs per CD. I can ride all day without changing a CD and never hear the same song! If I see some clouds moving in, I just click over to the weather band and see whats going on. I think it turned out pretty slick!

The unit!

The remote!

From the saddle!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mission Control, this is West Tn Dawg requesting clearance for liftoff... :lol:

I am amazed by the electronics!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The Rumble Roads system does have cheap speakers, contrary to what they advertise. After the rivets came lose on one of my speakers, I took it apart to replace one of the rivits, I found the cheapest speakers they sell inside the housings.
I emailed them and told them about the rivets coming lose and the cheap speakers they gave me and....no reply. I emailed the company twice and not one word from them so far.
Knowing what I know now, I should have used the system I made instead of ordering theirs.
However, I am still amazed about the size of those little amps inside the speaker housings and how good they do work. I guess that's what convinced me to order the Rumble Roads system, is because I had trouble finding a place to mount an external amplifier on my bike. I am pleased with the sound and am able to cruise at 80 mph and hear the weather reports and music clear as a bell, so it does what I need it to. >PD<

·
Registered
429 Posts
I read about fitting the speaker into the chrome light housings is pretty simple and would like to see a how-to on this or pictures of how it is assembled.

What light housings do you use?

What brackets do you use to attach them to the handlebars?

What do the speaker grilles look like?

How do the speakers attach inside the light housings?

What size speakers do you use?

I keep reading about it but havent seen any photos. I am sure others would also like to do this mod if it is cheaper and easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got a questions guys. I wanted to install speakers on my bike or get something that I could enjoy music on. I have Vance & Hines pipes on my bike and they are pretty loud. I tried a CD player and I couldn't hear the music for my pipes. I know there is someone out there that has a radio and loud pipes that may be able to help. I have a 600 VLX Delux. bc1

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could post some pics of the install, but they'd be on the X. This is easy if you research how to add a electrical accessory. I put on an additional fuse box which you get at a auto parts store, ran a wire directly from the battery to the box.
I added a relay and off switch so it would cut off with the key or I could turn it off. Without the relay added doing this extremely easy , but you have to remember to shut off the amp.

·
Registered
151 Posts
PainterD said:
Where did you get your amplifier?
I have the Rumble Roads system on my bike and I agree about the lack of base. However, the speakers are crisp and clear. I am able to hear it going 80 mph down the interstate.
It is cheaper to make your own system, by using chrome lightbar housings with 4" speakers and an external amp. I am making a system for my work bike, just have to order the amp yet. <PD<
Chrome lightbar housing????

What product is this? Does anyone have details on how they put their own system together?

·
Registered
429 Posts
In my research I have been doing on this subject I decided I will not be purchasing the Rumble Road system.

I will be purchasing from http://www.uniqcycle.com/ They have a better system, speaker covers, more features and a 5 year warranty.

Here is a comparison to Unique Cycles system to the rest.

http://www.uniqcycle.com/compare1.html

Here is a good written install on their system.

http://home.comcast.net/~dicesspirit/Speaker_Install.html

oil_rider said:
Chrome lightbar housing????

What product is this? Does anyone have details on how they put their own system together?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts