Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put one in my Shadow this year. I also put one in my car two years ago. After fiddling with the car today, I give up on it. It's wired correctly but I can't program it to run in automatic trans mode. So I was wondering if I can take the bike one and put it in my car?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Look at the schematics real good and see if you can figure it out. I am sure it could be done, but how easy it is would be a different question. (I could also be completely wrong about that as well!)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's basically two for the turn signals, a constant 12v source, ignition, starter signal and ground. There is also two wires for ignition cut off, but I never used them.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I bought an alarm with a remote starter two years ago and fitted it to one of my bikes, I left the remote starter disconnected..

I know that in theory there are hundreds of thousands of different frequencies for individual remotes so that the odds are high that any two would be the same.. but that is theory..

Many of these remotes are made in a Chinese factory, where the only interest is in getting the product off the assembly line and into a warehouse for some western buyer to collect, They don't really care if the same code is used in every 100th unit,
many of these factories will be rented by a person for a month and they produce remotes or alarms for this month only, probably about 10,000 of them from a kit of parts.. next month the factory will be leased by a different person who makes radios or microwaves and the next month by someone else making something different.. the point is that because the western buyers get their stock from the warehouse and not the producer they buy them without guarantee.. I didn't really trust the fact that there are thousands of kids out there with cheap Chinese scooters with remote alarms, pushing buttons as I ride past that could disables my bike or even start it while I was parked.. I didn't really like the odds, so I removed the alarm.

John.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
What? Why? From what I see you put a MC starter in a car and it doesn't work-why are you surprised, but you don't want to use the remote start (ignition) so why bother? Why would you even need remote start on a bike? I am a big believer in no remote start on anything with manual shift.

Dingo.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's still in the bike. The one in my car is po'eing me so I figure I'll put something in that I know works. I'm one of those clock out and leave asap types, and my bike being carberated I got tired of waiting for it to warm up. I had some money leftover from a check and decided what the hell and bought one for that reason.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
It's basically two for the turn signals, a constant 12v source, ignition, starter signal and ground. There is also two wires for ignition cut off, but I never used them.
Modern vehicles sometimes have a protection device built into the ignition to prevent theft, alarms with remote start have a couple of wires that fit one side of the ignition fuse and another wire which fits the other side of the fuse which is then removed..to enable the remote start to work you will need to fit a resistor across where you removed the ignition fuse from.. you will need to find the correct value by experimenting but it should be between 100 and 400 ohms..

John.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I know that in theory there are hundreds of thousands of different frequencies for individual remotes so that the odds are high that any two would be the same.. but that is theory..
Actually, today's remotes have millions of 'rolling' codes based on algorithms. The remote may never send the same code again, depending on how much it is used. The 'rolling codes' (also used by garage door companies, home alarm companies and automotive manufactures) are pretty much standard now-a-days. The chances someone with the same remote manufacturer controlling another's system is astronomical. Oh and I'm fairly certain the frequencies used by automotive systems are totally different than home based system.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
As far as...

making a system designed for a bike (which I have no experience with) work with a car, that I can't say. If you have enough relays to activate all the circuits required by that vehicle, the wiring diagrams for all the needed connections, the expertise to work past any omissions in the diagrams (that NEVER happens) and you have the proper transponder bypass module then in theory it should work.

Remote starter installs are something that I would never recommend to anyone who doesn't already have some automotive electrical experience. You can fry a $1000 plus computer in a matter of seconds. Improper hookup can take out your starter (if the module can't sense the engine running). Lots of stuff to go wrong.

I too would highly recommend against installing a remote starter in any manual transmission vehicle. Even with safeties installed, a failed component could allow the vehicle to become life threatening. I will not install remote start into such vehicles.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
First off - I doubt using a motorcycle remote start will provide any functionality that the existing auto remote start does not already include.

Second - Why do you want to remote start a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am? What is your gain? How much is that gain worth to you?

Third - Professionally installed, name brand, working system for your car should cost around $200, $300 if you're feeling frosty. Big picture, that's a very small budget to work with, given the cost of the motorcycle system, the time spent on the design, testing, troubleshooting, etc. If you make $20/hr, that's (net) 15 hours of work to buy a remote start and have it installed. If you were to spend 15 hours on your existing system, do you think you could get it to work properly without buying another system? If you do not believe you could get it to work properly, is it most likely the fault of the system, your skill level, or the vehicle? If you purchase a motorcycle remote start system for, let's say $50 (roughly 3 hours of work), do you think you will be able to install it properly in 12 hours?

And last question - have you taken the vehicle to a professional to assign a value to fixing the existing question?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its a pita to program it. Everything is wired correctly. Since everything is hooked up, I'd figure I would just tap in the circuits that the mc rs would use.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Should all people install a remote start on a manual? No. However, I have had one on my manual for over 3 years now and no issues. I don't ever park in 1st, and when it goes to the shop or someone else takes it I remove the autostart remote from the keychain. Use discretion and ensure you pay attention to detail and safety won't be an issue.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Its a pita to program it. Everything is wired correctly. Since everything is hooked up, I'd figure I would just tap in the circuits that the mc rs would use.
So, you think it will be easier to re-engineer your MC remote start, install, troubleshoot, and feel confident in it rather than program your installed device?

It's not going to be easier. Without even asking what brand and model you have in either, I can promise you it will not be easier. My advice, take the car to a professional and spend a few $$ to program it or a few more to replace it with one that works properly.

Manual/Automatic - I believe from his 1st post the car is auto. The bike is manual. At least, that's how I am reading it. I'm not sure Pontiac had a manual transmission in a Grand Am since...I dunno?...the early 1980s?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
So, you think it will be easier to re-engineer your MC remote start, install, troubleshoot, and feel confident in it rather than program your installed device?

It's not going to be easier. Without even asking what brand and model you have in either, I can promise you it will not be easier. My advice, take the car to a professional and spend a few $$ to program it or a few more to replace it with one that works properly.

Manual/Automatic - I believe from his 1st post the car is auto. The bike is manual. At least, that's how I am reading it. I'm not sure Pontiac had a manual transmission in a Grand Am since...I dunno?...the early 1980s?
My point was why do you need a remote on a MC? I wouldn't recommend a starter on any manual car or MC, all it takes is one bad day. As for the car, why would you try to wire a starter not made even for the type of vehicle? And it's an old car...I drive a 14 truck and live in an area where it's -40 (C or F doesn't matter it's the same) and I don't have a starter (it's a fluid thing here), so I can't see it being too cold anywhere south of me.

Dingo.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
My point was why do you need a remote on a MC?
Dingo.
You don't..but the cheap Chinese bikes have them and young kids think it is cool to walk up to their bike and start it by remote in front of a bunch of friends...

John.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My point was why do you need a remote on a MC? I wouldn't recommend a starter on any manual car or MC, all it takes is one bad day. As for the car, why would you try to wire a starter not made even for the type of vehicle? And it's an old car...I drive a 14 truck and live in an area where it's -40 (C or F doesn't matter it's the same) and I don't have a starter (it's a fluid thing here), so I can't see it being too cold anywhere south of me.

Dingo.
I agree 100% on both points. I think a remote start on a bike is a bad-bad-bad-bad idea. For example: the only way for it to work is to leave the bike in Neutral. This means you're developing a habit of leaving your bike in Neutral. When you park on an incline, your habit will be...Leave the bike in Neutral. At least in a manual car you can get into a habit of neutral + parking brake.

I also live in a city that sees regular -20*(F) days during the winter. My 2000 Ford Ranger winter beater doesn't LIKE the cold weather, but it's fine. No remote start. It's purely a toy, not a need.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts