Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pictures of motorcycle tire failures?

This is the only tire failure I have had on a motorcycle. This tire was less than a year old when this defect started and Pirelli wouldn't warranty it at all. The tire was not cut and I didn't hit anything. The tire did not cause an accident. This was a Pirelli and wasn't on a Shadow. This defect had a slight divit across where the line is which you can't see. The rubber under this cut looking piece actually can pull back about an inch, something can slide in there. My conclusion was a delamination of the rubber. The divit kind of seemed like belt separation though it was not weak or belts physically separating. I rode it when I shouldn't have still after regular inspections for tire strength and integrity which seemed ok other than this cut looking spot but I didn't push this tire at all. This was the final stage when I stopped riding on it.

Registered
I never had a tire failure that wasn't caused by a nail or in one instance when I was a rank beginner, when I rode off on a long trip with a rear tire that I figured "should just make it."
It didn't. 馃槚 My fault.

However, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, I have no love for Pirelli tires. Based only on my own personal experience, they need to up their quality control a couple of notches.

As an aside, that tire you pictured looks like it's been around the block more than a few times past it's "good until" date. I wouldn't have ridden on it at all.

Reactions: smilie

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
Discussion Starter #4
It had plenty of tread depth. They were wanting me to pay shipping with no guarantee if they would do anything. I paid a reasonable amount for the tire on-line and didn't want to pay some big shipping expenses. Then the dealers for Pirelli, nearly all car tires wouldn't take a look at it for inspection before sending it back. Good eye Menhir. I did ride that tire for quite a while after the defect began. The picture was the final stage when I changed the tire out. I shouldn't have been riding on it but most of my riding was slower and I was watching it carefully. I was not impressed by Pirelli with the issue or their support. Surprisingly the tire did have pretty good grip. I did do a search on this tire on-line about defects and there was one other defect identical to this one. I guess someone else contacted the right people because it was pulled off the internet.

Premium Member
I hate Pirelli tires for motorcycles. I think they are great on a car, but they only make tires for bikes because others do. Lucille had Pirelli鈥檚 on her when I bought her and they never held air and road like an air hockey puck with the board on high. I had receipts and they scoffed at warranty over them losing air with 90% of their warranty still on them.
They both (front and rear) reside by the chicken coop growing scratch greens... the most use I have for them. Such a big tire company seems to crap all over a segment of their business. I mostly ride Dunlop, but I have been tying Shinko more and more... so far, those Shinko鈥檚 that many of you knock have given me better performance than a lot of tires I used to swear by.

Registered
1995 VT1100C2
It had plenty of tread depth. They were wanting me to pay shipping with no guarantee if they would do anything. I paid a reasonable amount for the tire on-line and didn't want to pay some big shipping expenses...
That's interesting because the Pirelli Motorcycle Tire Warranty states "tire(s) must be returned to any Pirelli authorized dealer." and then the dealer sends the tire to Pirelli so you don't have to pay shipping and you don't have to pay a disposal fee. Did you contact Pirelli?

G.

Registered
I've been researching tires for Geraldine, my '84 500 Shadow, and it has become apparent to me that different tire brands work better on different bikes. For example. on Shadows, Shinkos are very highly regarded whilst Dunlops are not. For heavy bikes like my Voyager XII, Shinkos are called Stinkos because they are awful, and Dunlop Elite 4s or American Elites are the most recommended tires. Not all Dunlops! The 404s are awful on the Voyager XIIs.

So... Gertrude, the Voyager XII rides on Dunlop Elite 4s. Geraldine the Shadow is getting a set of Shinko 712s.

-Dennis
Philadelphia
'84 VT500c Shadow "Geraldine"
'00 Kawasaki ZG1200B Voyager XII "Gertrude The Elephant"

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting because the Pirelli Motorcycle Tire Warranty states "tire(s) must be returned to any Pirelli authorized dealer." and then the dealer sends the tire to Pirelli so you don't have to pay shipping and you don't have to pay a disposal fee. Did you contact Pirelli?

G.
I called one of the main numbers at Pirelli and all of the authorized dealers in the area were for car tires. They didn't give me any local dealers for motorcycle tires. Since I purchased it on-line it complicated things. Had I purchased it from a dealer they would have had me bring the tire in for an inspection. I was told I would have to send it to where I bought it from and then then the seller would have to send it to them. It's partly my fault I didn't pursue the replacement like I should have but it seemed like a big pain in the butt to me. Then I would have to buy another tire anyway while I was waiting to see if I would get another tire. I did offer them the tire for investigative opportunities to find out what went wrong with it but they didn't seem interested in doing that either. I previously had the same tire before, Pirelli Sport Demon and had no problems with it. I rode that one until it was well worn. Plenty of grip and no issues at all until the 2nd tire. Since I buy my tires on-line I have just been using other brands with no issues.

Registered
I had a Dunlop Elite3 radial on the back of my Tourer that was bad from Day1. took off on my test ride and that tire howled like it was in pain. Came home and took it back off to see what I had done wrong. Everything was installed correctly, rotation correct, called the dealer where I got it, they said call dunlop, Dunlop said take it to the dealer, who would look at it IF I paid their shop rate... Back to Dunlop who then decided it must be my wheel bearings ( that were fine before this tire. Gave up and rode it a while longer, 1st trip it about drove me mad. also tended to overheat, making me think bad belts. after a hundred miles the tire would be too hot to touch. Finally couldn't stand the howl and took it off half worn out..

Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit 鈥渃hopper鈥
I called one of the main numbers at Pirelli and all of the authorized dealers in the area were for car tires. They didn't give me any local dealers for motorcycle tires. Since I purchased it on-line it complicated things. Had I purchased it from a dealer they would have had me bring the tire in for an inspection. I was told I would have to send it to where I bought it from and then then the seller would have to send it to them. It's partly my fault I didn't pursue the replacement like I should have but it seemed like a big pain in the butt to me. Then I would have to buy another tire anyway while I was waiting to see if I would get another tire. I did offer them the tire for investigative opportunities to find out what went wrong with it but they didn't seem interested in doing that either. I previously had the same tire before, Pirelli Sport Demon and had no problems with it. I rode that one until it was well worn. Plenty of grip and no issues at all until the 2nd tire. Since I buy my tires on-line I have just been using other brands with no issues.
You probably wouldn鈥檛 have got a damn thing anyway, I worked for National Tire and Battery for years and we always dreaded calling in a claim to Pirelli, it always sounded like some overworked uneducated person was on the other end of the phone and it would take a week or more for a return response with RMA number to send the affected tires in, and we would usually never hear anything back unless we hounded the claims office. Michelin would have something sent over the same day, and always seemed to care about proper proration of remaining tread, these are some of a few reasons I tend to buy Michelin when available.

Reactions: kesanders

Registered
You probably wouldn鈥檛 have got a damn thing anyway, I worked for National Tire and Battery for years and we always dreaded calling in a claim to Pirelli, it always sounded like some overworked uneducated person was on the other end of the phone and it would take a week or more for a return response with RMA number to send the affected tires in, and we would usually never hear anything back unless we hounded the claims office. Michelin would have something sent over the same day, and always seemed to care about proper proration of remaining tread, these are some of a few reasons I tend to buy Michelin when available.
I've never had a warranty problem with my Michelin Tires, but that's good to know.
Michelin Commander II's have been my tire of choice since I first tried them. My current bike, which I bought a bit less than two years ago, had Pirelli tires. I never liked them.
They were getting worn out so I just had them replaced with Michilins a week to ago and I couldn't be happier with the difference.

Reactions: kesanders

Registered
I got a front tire done at Alamo Cycle Plex in San Antonio. Failed after one day due to tire rot. I checked the phone year and it was something like 5yrs old. Dealers will try to sneak past you an old off the shelf dried out tire. When i took it back they wanted to charge me to replace it. I got it replaced and gave the manager an earful.

The replaced it with a tire from that year. I suspect their dry rot story was false though. I believe they forgot to put a tube in and filled it asn tubeless. The tire didnt appear to have dry rot, just wasnt holding air. I got two stories from them and caught them in a lie at one point point. Lesson? If you get new tires at a shop, check the year before you roll out and ask how old they are before they swap them. So they know not to screw around.

I now do my tires myself and save a lot of money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts