the recoil. :lol: :lol:
:wink: Yeah, but turn the gun around...

·
Registered
227 Posts
litnin said:

Holy cow! Fire that thing running 40mph and you'd drop 38 mph from
the recoil. :lol: :lol:
Seems the French were short of cash after WWII, just like every country in Europe. They wanted to provide some badly needed artillery support for their airborne troops, so someone came up with the idea of welding a surplus 75mm recoilless cannon to a scooter. Light weight, air portable, mobile, and really cheap.

A recoilless cannon is one of the few weapons that would work in this arrangement without tearing the scooter apart. Originally a cutting edge concept intended to provide anti-tank and artillery capabilities to light vehicles and infantry forces, recoilless cannons (AKA recoilless rifles) were eventually replaced by RPG's and wire guided anti-tank missiles.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Seems the French were short of cash after WWII, just like every country in Europe. They wanted to provide some badly needed artillery support for their airborne troops, so someone came up with the idea of welding a surplus 75mm recoilless cannon to a scooter.
If this is a French army invention, why isn't the gun pointed backwards? :lol:

DON'T FLAME! JUST A JOKE!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
MikeB said:
Seems the French were short of cash after WWII, just like every country in Europe. They wanted to provide some badly needed artillery support for their airborne troops, so someone came up with the idea of welding a surplus 75mm recoilless cannon to a scooter.

Flame?? No way! That's funny!!! :lol:

·
Registered
227 Posts
MikeB said:

the bike originally came with a white flag and the cannon was intended to clear a lane through retreating French infantry to aid in the scooter riders escape.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
It's great (if guilty) fun to make light of French military prowess, but for a more realistic view read "Hell in a Very Small Place" by Bernard Fall, a really great narrative of the siege of Dienbienphu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A variant of this is still in use by the US Army, minus the scooter and in 90mm.

They use this for anti tank in arctic conditions because the new fangled wire guided systems tend to come apart in sub zero weather.
I actually humped one of these bad boys myself in Alaska
You want an adventure, try jumping out of an airplane in 40 below cold with a big steel pipe strapped to you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The U.S. Army use to mount a 106mm recoil less rifle on a jeep as I recall. I remember seeing them around but never saw one fire. I guess they made a heck of a backblast that kind of gave away the position.

I am assuming the French had a plan to remove the rifle from the scotter before shooting it. Looks like there wouldn't have been much adjustment for elevation or windage on that thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts