Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ride in the rain? I’m a little nervous too probably because im new to it, but because it’s winter we have been getting a lot of crazy weather. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Where are you located? Probably makes a difference.

I'm in SOCal so it doesn't really rain here. But I did ride to work and back one day and it wasn't too bad. Just make sure you wear waterproof gear. I only wore a raincoat and so my pants got soaked lol

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
I am up in the Seattle area. Plenty of rain, and I am old, and I don't like by bike filthy, so I just watch the rain fall.My tires don't have the best feel of traction either so maybe when I get some sticky tires I will venture out when it is wet more often.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
Back when I was still a beginning rider I took an all day motorcycle safety class at the local college and it rained all day long. The class was about 2-hours in the classroom and another 6-hours on the riding course; in the rain.

I complained to the instructors about the bad weather and instead they told me how lucky I was to be able to practice the maneuvers in the rain. They said not only would I learn the maneuvers but I would also learn the limits of my bike on wet pavement. Riding in the rain doesn't bother me as far as safety is concerned. But if it's cold and raining, that I can't stand!

If you're nervous about riding in the rain, don't do it until you can spend some solid time in an empty parking lot, in the rain and practice, practice, practice......
Phil

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Get new tires,cheaper than the Hospital,Shinko 777's are good in the rain.Pirelli MT66 are good to, I have both of these on my bikes now.I used to live in Anaheim Ca.near I5 and this time of year it rained every other day but no rain all summer,mudslides then drought.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Here's why I avoid rain if possible (Vancouver it rains a lot):

1. Riding for me is recreational and not much fun in the rain. My rule is never ride out in the rain.

2. Your ability to see what traffic is doing is impaired by rain on your glasses/faceshield/windshield. Your reaction time will be slower.

3. Your traction is significantly reduced so longer stopping times etc

4. Beware of any painted lines on the road ie crosswalks etc since a little road oil plus water makes them slippery as ice.

5. Worst of all: other drivers vision is impaired with water on windshields and wipers going and they cannot see your headlight/taillight and likely less light to see you. In the best condition other drivers don't pay attention so in the rain you are invisible.

So slick roads, impaired vision, slower reaction time, less traction, and invisibility are a few issues. Now snow …

G.

PS If you must ride in the rain: Find a bright colored rain suit. I keep seeing grey or black rainsuits and that's a bad idea. Leave more space between you and other traffic. I tap my brake lights a few times before slowing so drivers behind me might see. Ease up on acceleration and increase stopping distance.I tend to do a slight weave when approaching traffic that is turning from a side road as the weave helps drivers notice me.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ride in the rain, you are going to get wet in places you never though would get wet...

I'm more worried about my wallet getting wet.
Back in the 80s worked as a motorcycle courier in the DC area, first day of work, snow on the roads...talk about pucker factor. Found tourists and wind to be more of a hassle than rain.

I live in Florida, and am use to hitting rain especially in the summer after 3pm. I like to commute a lot so if it's nice in the morning I ride, don't care if I get wet on the way home from work and in the upper 90s it actually feels good to get rained on.

Head out onto some traffic free roads to practice in the rain.
As stated above, stay off the paint strips, also don't hotdog.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I don't fear it, but I do avoid it sometimes.

I also often do long trips where I'll pass through dozens of different climate zones
[*]

The reasons @[URL="https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/members/54748-gdb069.html"]gdb069[/URL][mention] gave are key - few drivers drive to the conditions and visibility is significantly reduced, as is traction. The rain to most avoid is light rain after a dry spell of several days or weeks. The crud builds up on (and in) the road and it takes a little time for this to wash off during a decent downpour. But if you have light drizzle or rain that's more like a mist than rain don't go out for a while. If the gutters aren't flowing wait it out, the road can be very slick. But do get out in a parking lot and practice. The thing that will save you most in rain is knowing how to apply your brakes progressively and knowing just how much you can throw your bike around. Being confident of what you can do and 'grooving' your skills (think wearing a groove in the floor by covering the same tracks so often) means instead of freezing up and riding straight into a crash without doing anything, you'll [I]automatically[/I] be able to brake and/or swerve and avoid it. Your focus can be spent looking for the best exit as your body just knows what to do and you don't need to think. I recommend get out and learn about rain where you can do so safely, because if you're caught out in it with a long way to shelter you want to know what to expect and know your bikes limits. I like to avoid danger where I can, but I also like to practice and experience as many conditions as I can so I know what my limits are and what to do if caught out. [*] In NZ, like in mountain areas, it's easy to get 2 or 3 very different climates inside of 20 miles, eg your side of the mountains may be fine, the other side may get heavy rain. Or your side may be fine when you leave, the other side may be fine, but at the end of the day the last few miles home is in heavy rain.;

·
Registered
409 Posts
You might as well learn. Sooner or later you'll get caught in a storm and have to deal with it. Just be extra careful. You can shift your body weight differently to keep the bike more upright in the turns with a little practice. You'll need a face shield at the very least and better yet a windshield. And gloves! Them raindrops sting like BB's when you're going down the road!

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I ride in the rain only as necessary. I sure don't for pleasure. I avoid it also because it makes the bike filthy like @swifty2014 says. When out on the road, i'll ride the rain, but sometimes you just have places to be.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I told my sister when she first started riding if you don’t get wet once and a while your not riding enough. I’ve been caught in the rain numerous times i just deal with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Ride in the rain, you are going to get wet in places you never though would get wet...
Ah yes. That ice-cold water that starts from what feels like a pin-hole sized leak in an area that should NOT be getting wet first.

One reason to be glad I don't do many long distance trips in Winter these days :)

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
But if it's cold and raining, that I can't stand!
Yup, rain is not bad, cold kind of stinks, cold and wet SUCKS!

I don't mind riding in the rain if I am just out riding (and it is not cold). I don't ride to work if it is raining (I don't have rain gear and don't want to work in wet clothing and shoes. I don't mind if it is raining when I come home.
You do need to practice riding in the rain though is a controlled situation, so your more confident when your out and about and get caught in an unexpected shower.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome. All the above is great advice. I recommend to make sure you wear footwear which is nonslip and not just in the rain. I wore cowboy boots with leather soles and my foot slid out in the driveway when I stepped on a tiny oily spot on a sunny day. Hot asphalt is also very slick when putting your feet down. +1 on the slickness of those painted areas in the streets. Also watch out for the botts dots which are slick and raised.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
You must not get much riding in. I heard you can ride a jet ski through the streets of Vancouver most days.
With 50+ years of riding, I am now a confirmed fair weather rider. With the onslaught of "new" drivers in Vancouver, I am now hesitant to ride in the city so I don't ride as much. Jet ski sounds good. Tank sounds better!

G.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
All the time. Doesn’t bother me, just have to take it easy in the turns. Now @Coop would never ride in the rain. He’s as fair weather as they come.

Invest in a good rain suit and rain gloves. I’ve ridden 400 miles in the rain and arrived completely dry except or my face.

Condoms prevent minivans.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
All the time. Doesn’t bother me, just have to take it easy in the turns. Now @Coop would never ride in the rain. He’s as fair weather as they come.

Invest in a good rain suit and rain gloves. I’ve ridden 400 miles in the rain and arrived completely dry except or my face.

You are correct, I am a fair-weather Rider! Half of the miles of Road this year were in the rain.
Good rain gear take your time don't rush starts or stops you won't crash and burn just cuz you're in the rain. Somewhere here there is a very good thread that I started that a bunch of people added to about my first ride that has pointers on foul weather riding.

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

·
Registered
10,166 Posts

My garage Queen.

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
18 Participants
LordFlashington
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing