Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, my wife and I took a weekend trip to a local mountain resort area. Those of you from California probably know about Big Bear Lake, our destination for the weekend. Big Bear lied about 85 miles east of our home, about two thirds of which is on interstate highways. The other third is on twisties through the pine wood mountains. It is a gorgeous ride with a choice of three routes. We took one route up - highway 38 - and another route back - hwy 18 to hwy 330. The weather was absolutely perfect for our Friday mid-morning get away. We loaded up a duffel bag, strapped it on the back of the bike, stuffed the rest of our nessecities into the saddle bags and away we went. We stayed until Sunday afternoon and then headed home. Here are a few pics/video of the trip.

Gassing up for the ride:

The last stretch of road before the twisties:

Into the twisties. And off onto a turnout for a little rest break:
DSCN2600.AVI videos from motorcycles videos on webshots

Parking the bike for a bite of lunch before checking in to our resort:

A view of the lake from the back of the bike:

Cruising around the lake:
DSCN2624.AVI videos from motorcycles videos on webshots

Packing up to go home:

One last stop at a trinket shop on the way home:

Can't wait to do it again!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thanks for the ride report and photos!
I really enjoyed them.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Makes me ache for California. Really miss it.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I stayed @ Logonita Lodge in BB a few yrs back when my Daughter Graduated HS.We did the Tourist things on the lake including the Pirate Ship Tour and got sunburned beyond recognition.I love the area just couldnt afford to live there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stayed @ Logonita Lodge in BB a few yrs back when my Daughter Graduated HS.We did the Tourist things on the lake including the Pirate Ship Tour and got sunburned beyond recognition.I love the area just couldnt afford to live there.
There's certainly a lot about California to not like but the weather or varied topography sure isn't one of them. I can ride in good weather almost year 'round. And having a wife that loves to sit on the pillion sure doesn't hurt any :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Let's see if I can remember the ride correctly--it's been at least 10 years: From Santa Cruz, take 17(?) to 9, and then 9 all the way up to Skyline, through Boulder Creek (was told retired hippies live there--is that an oxymoron?) and a bunch of other really neat small towns. There's a biker restaurant up there somewhere. Then 9 back down on the other side to Los Gatos, where a lot of tricked-out bikes are. Hiway 9 down to Los Gatos, it's kinda hard to admire the view; I had my eyes locked on where I wanted to go--which was not off the road. ;-)

Rode very very carefully. First time in the California mountains. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Very cool! I have a ex Navy buddy who lives there although I haven't been there myself. Supposed meet up with him this Oct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.