Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my rider safety and instruction course about 18 months ago. During one of the breaks, I recall an instructor talking about training she was taking to become a certified motorcyclist first aid responder. It was in the mindset that if riding with a group and someone gets hurt, especially in some isolated location, it would be of great benefit to have a certified first responder as one of the riders.

Has anyone taken such a course earmarked for riders? Might be a good training to knock out during the winter months.

· Registered
2,698 Posts
I do first aid every 3years. Used to be Saint John ambulance with CPR, now it's mostly combat related. I have advanced TCCC (tactical combat casualty care) get to intubate and administer morphine.

· Registered
2,349 Posts
I took my rider safety and instruction course about 18 months ago. During one of the breaks, I recall an instructor talking about training she was taking to become a certified motorcyclist first aid responder. It was in the mindset that if riding with a group and someone gets hurt, especially in some isolated location, it would be of great benefit to have a certified first responder as one of the riders.

Has anyone taken such a course earmarked for riders? Might be a good training to knock out during the winter months.
What group is doing the course? One of the problems with "certified" anything is that the value of it depends entirely on how well the program is accepted which typically depends on the quality of instruction. Personally if I was looking for an entry level program that was useful I'd look at a certified first responder course (MFR) that is recognized in your state. The ones I taught as an EMT were in the 40-60 hour range but a lot of states don't offer these classes. At least as a certified MFR you'll be trained to handle a wider range of trauma then someone with a Red Cross FA card and that includes RC Adv FA which I also taught at one time.

If you can get a class syllabus, I imagine a few folks on here will be able to tell you if it is worth looking into.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.