Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with the few cruiser motorcyle shows that are on TV? (American Thunder, VTwin) They always deal with custom choppers. I will never own one. Not that I don't think they're cool, I just cannot aford the custom price. Why not have a show that deals with real cruiser issues, like places to ride, mods and add-ons for factory bikes. Riding technics, bike maintenance, what to look for when buying used, etc.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Because right now it's the customized-almost-beyond-recognition shows that have the interest, ratings and sponsors. I have a sense -- I could be wrong -- that the fad is starting to wane a bit. There'll still be custom choppers, but I wonder how long these shows can persist before people get bored and drift off. Not long, I'd guess.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Personally I would far more rather have a bike that is designed by a real engineer then from someone that builds over the top looks but is totally unsafe to ride on the roads.

·
Registered
943 Posts
honestly....I dont believe its even the bikes on most of these shows that people watch it for. Its the meladramatics.......all this reality garbage is making me wanna puke.

I have watched some occ stuff, but only because there was a specific bike I did want to see, like the NASA one.

but, I believe most people tune in for the drama

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, Sure. It's the visual thing. People watch shows like American Chopper who never plan on owning a bike. But they look cool. I agree with you though. I'd love to see a show that caters to my specific taste in bikes, and how I ride.

·
Registered
296 Posts
To each his/her own, but personally, I think that the bikes rolling out of OCC and the other 'custom-chopper' shops are the antithesis of true choppers.

I thought choppers were born when returning troops after WWII started taking stuff off like mirrors & signals, and chopping bodywork like fenders and shocks.

These current 'custom choppers' are all about adding gobs of chrome and raking out the front to extreme nearly-unsteerable dimensions.

Now, some amount of increased rake can look really cool, but when you and your front tire are always in separate counties... that's just silliness.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Those bikes are just "butt jewelry" as far as I see it. Rediculously expensive and impractical to me personally. Would I ride one? Yes, it would be fun. Would I buy one? Not in this life time.
There are those who ride fewer miles and park them in front of bars for show, and that's fine and dandy if that's what melts your wax or trips your tigger. Ride what you like.
The TV shows are just giving the viewer what they want. If it wasn't for the fact that there are millions of people watching, those shows would be cancelled and replaced with some other reality show.
Yes, it would be better for alot of us to see a more down to earth type show that involves new accessories, riding techniques, and new models coming on the market.
I will watch American Chopper if it's on. For me, I like to get fabrication ideas and techniques they use to make some of their parts. The disgruntled family part of the show is just added entertainment. They are just doing much the same as Harley Davidson and making more money from all the hype,and accessories (t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.) than they are with just selling bikes.
TV is all about ratings and what makes money, so it must be working for them so far. It will be interesting to see what evolves in the future from these shows. That's just me. >PD<

·
Registered
658 Posts
Kframe said:
To each his/her own, but personally, I think that the bikes rolling out of OCC and the other 'custom-chopper' shops are the antithesis of true choppers.

I thought choppers were born when returning troops after WWII started taking stuff off like mirrors & signals, and chopping bodywork like fenders and shocks.

These current 'custom choppers' are all about adding gobs of chrome and raking out the front to extreme nearly-unsteerable dimensions.

Now, some amount of increased rake can look really cool, but when you and your front tire are always in separate counties... that's just silliness.
Not to mention a safety hazard. I think you're spot-on.

Wasn't there talk within the last year about a motorcycle channel? Or did I dream that? :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ditto to all the sentiments about the chopper programs and overexposure...They look great, it's entertainment(somewhat), and there are some neat or different ways they do things. I'm hoping that most of reality TV goes by the way but that's what's hot at the moment.
Some of the bikes look so uncomfortable, I know I wouldn't want to take most of them for even a 50 mile ride at once. To each their own!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Actually you might be surprised at how well those customs do ride and handle. But it does seem that most of OCC's bikes are all theme related to some Fortune 500 company who can afford to throw a hundred grand at a bike and get some added exposure on top of it. I doubt many of them ever see enough miles to warrant an oil change! :lol: :lol: But those are the bikes you see being built for the show. OCC does however make bikes that you'll never see on TV. But once again I'm sure with their price tag that they are being sold mainly to individuals with disposable incomes that tend to ride very little. Later

·
Registered
542 Posts
A good indicator as the the status of the "custom bike shows" today is...
I saw Pez dispensers of the 3 OCC guys at Wallyworld today, marked down of course. :lol: Agreed on the need for a "real bike" show. Although if one comes on guess what brand will get all the attention :roll: . Hint: it won't be Hondas! :evil:

[/img]

·
Registered
94 Posts
We have some bike TV program here in Canada and all it is is one big HD commercial with a couple big busted blonde chicks strutting there stuff.(not that there is anything wrong with that lol). Only watched it the once so I don't even know it's name.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts