Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear most mount on my bottom pipe apparently snapped in my last road trip to Mississippi, or before, as I just noticed it the other day. Is this really important? The pipe seems to wobble a little, but it doesn't look like anything major. But I figured I'd ask the populace if they've ever had anything negative occur from this little bit of damage.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You should probably address it at some point with another plate tacked on with a quick weld. Since that crossover weld was not really made to be structural, I suspect you'll see stress cracking which would be a more difficult to weld, possibly mandating exhaust replacement.

My experience has been that everything Honda has on a bike is there for a reason and there will be a downside from not doing a fix. That doesn't mean it has to duplicate the part, just pick up the load.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad idea, I'll talk to someone about a quick weld, it'll probably be stronger than the old setup anyway.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My experience has been that everything Honda has on a bike is there for a reason and there will be a downside from not doing a fix.
Have to correct myself.....a few non-functional appearance additions on some bikes qualify as phhhhtttt! ; crappy plastic chrome jug caps on Aeros and Spirits, cast bolt-on ACE fins that are shimmed out and don't dump heat from the jacket, ACE jug top plates (chrome do-nothings that no one can see anyway). There are probably more.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
If your pipes are wobbling as you mentioned the other mounting brackets and weld points are at risk for fatigue failure. Have you haver taken a paperclip and bent it back and forth until it broke? A wobbling exhaust system is doing the exact same thing to all the mounting points and welds on your bike that are associated to holding the exhaust in place. Take Nehalem's advice and get it fixed, just remember that the longer you wait to fix it the more damage that might be done to other parts of your bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.