Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had throw over saddlebags; now I want to hard mount some bags. I don't want to use the bags that I have (waaay too small) & I'm not sure that I could. Therein lies my question...When looking for new bags, how do I know if they will have the type of "backing" I would need to be able to mount them, or doesn't it matter as long as you've got supports behind them?

PS - I don't want hard bags

·
Registered
72 Posts
what kind of mounting system are you going to use? I used easy brackets because I wanted to easily take them off. They came with a fairly large backplate that looked like it would work with most any saddle bag. I suppose if you got a really soft bag, then you may have to put a piece of hardboard one the inside to bolt to. I don't have experience with other mounting systems though so take my response for what its worth.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of mounting system are you going to use? I used easy brackets because I wanted to easily take them off. They came with a fairly large backplate that looked like it would work with most any saddle bag. I suppose if you got a really soft bag, then you may have to put a piece of hardboard one the inside to bolt to. I don't have experience with other mounting systems though so take my response for what its worth.
I'll probably be using an easy bracket or the edge bracket...whatever I can find a better deal on.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I know with Saddlemen bags they are offered in two versions, either the throw over type or the custom fit version. The custom fit type have a reinforced back that is designed for use with brackets such as Easy Brackets.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I hard mounted my Willie & Max throw-over saddlebags by removing the throw over straps off the bags first. Then I made a template to get the shape of the back of each bag. I transferred the pattern to a sheet of aluminum, cut and glued the aluminum to the back of each bag. I had to use longer bolts I mounted them to the fender rails. They already have a plastic liner in them, so they keep their shape and don't bounce around when they're ampty.
When you shop around for saddlebags, get the ones with a liner inside them so they keep their shape when empty. Nothing looks worse then empty saddlebags drooping down on a bike. Look at Saddleman, Ameritex or Willie & Max for a good pair of saddlebags. Depending on size, most will cost you around $125-$150 for a pair of bags. Alot of the manufacturers are making them out of imitaion leather instead of real leather because their easier to take care of and don't show their age.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a Honda Shadow for my husband and was trying to find out what saddlebags fit well. I found some nice looking ones on autowarninglights.com but not sure what size would look the best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts