Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Atlanta, Hilton Head SC, Columbia SC, Greenville SC, Knoxville TN, and Chattanooga TN.
These are some of the areas where my new employer has suggested I look at moving to. I wont move for a year or so, so now I'm doing research on where I may want to live.

I thought I'd get some feedback from y'all. I, of course, want to live where there is good riding but I'm thinking also of the riding season. I'm thinking Knoxville is kinda low on the list, maybe some of the best riding but I think there is probably more rain there than other places and it's probably the coldest place in the winter. While Hilton Head may have the best weather it's like here, a lot of flat straight roads, also pretty expensive from what I've heard.

So if you had this choice where would you move to or if you already live there and love or hate it why?

BTW, I always wear a helmet, so helmet laws are irrelevent to me.

· Registered
84 Posts
chattanooga is a wonderful town, The rivers the smokie mountains, white water rafting, low taxes. hang gliding, great food, I like it much better than Knoxville and should be less expensive than Hilton Head

and its not far from the Tail of the Dragon LOL

· Registered
157 Posts
I agree. Chattanooga is the place to go. It's within a day's ride of Daytona, Myrtle Beach, Honda Hoot, Deal's Gap... Lots of nice roads, friendly people and good food.

Radar

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PainterD said:
That's not north...your still in the south. Now get up here to Minnesota and you'll get a taste of the north. LOL.
I do envy those of you that can ride during the winter months without bundling up in layers.
It's north to me. As far north and as cold as I can handle.
Did I mention I'm a wimp as far as cold goes.
llamakc said:
I also recommend Chattanooga. Be sure to visit the tow truck museum.
Any city that has a tow truck museum has to near the top of the list. :D

· Registered
10,153 Posts
Chattanooga has one of the lowest priced Bike dealers in the nation.

How ever I would choose Hilton head. Nothing is quite like taking a 5 minute ride to the beach. On any coast. Take the long trips to the inner country and always come home to the beach.

· Registered
52 Posts
Man, let me know when you're gonna check out the Hilton Head area. I can give you the grand tour! I lived on HHI for 9 years, but have moved off the island to Bluffton. You'll not wanna do the island, but check into Bluffton, Ridgeland, Hardeeville or Beaufort in this area. Let me know if I can help!

Ed

· Registered
2,530 Posts
Although both Chattanooga and Knoxville have great riding, I think I would go with Chattanooga. I lived 3 years in Knoxville and the in town traffic just isn't worth it. There really aren't many roads for all that traffic to hit so you are either making wide skirts around town or sitting in traffic all the time.

But, it doesn't matter where you go...we are still going to come raid your fridge and expect you to show us the good roads. :D

· Registered
8,119 Posts
I can give you some input on the TN cities.

Knoxville is really growing and is a busy city. Has everything you need. Close to Pigeon Forge and there are some great riding places back in the mountains.

Chattanooga is a great place as well, some gorgeous areas there and nice riding places. But the crime can be high in some areas so research where you want to live carefully.

My choice would be Knoxville as its more progressive then Chattanooga. Its also more economically stable.

We left Michigan in 2000 and found that being residents of TN has alot of benefits such as:

1.) They have low insurance rates.
2.) Ultra low license plate and registration fee's.
3.) Low property taxes.
4.) No Income taxes. ( which is great if your still working )
5.) Cost of living is low.
6.) No personal property taxes on vehicles and motorcycles like NC and SC has.
7.) Low property values.

I am a Michigan transplant and probably the best thing I ever did was relocate to TN after retiring. More and more retirees are starting to move to TN because of the financial benefits, favorable climate, mountains and slower pace of living.

Chris

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Chattanooga has Sticky Fingers, which serves up the best ribs in the world. It's fairly cheap to live there. Jobs don't pay quite as well, but you already have one, so no worries there.

Other selling points.

Greyfriar's -- Some of the best coffee around.
The Chattanooga Aquarium is excellent
Lookout Mountain -- Lots to see up there.
Chattanooga Lookouts -- Minor League baseball.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
I spent several years in Knoxville and the wife is from there so we go up several times a year. It is very nice country for riding. However, I would go to Chattanooga. Growing like crazy. Still in the mountains and you can be in Knoxville in 2 hours, Altlanta in 2 hours, Mountains of NE Alabama and Georga in 1 to 3 hours. Florida Gulf beachs in 6 hours, Atlantic Ocean beachs in less then 6 hours. Nashville and Memphis 3 hours or less. Great location.

· Registered
799 Posts
Greenville and the surrounding area is beautiful. My Bf has property up there and we spent a weekend in Oct there, riding , even in late Oct it was beautiful , refreshing , even in the dead of winter the weather is mostly mild, there will be very few days where weather will be so bad you wont be able to ride even if its just a short one. Its close enough to some wonderful riding roads and mountians...... I am looking forward to spending alot of time there in the future......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.