Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 shadow 750 spirit and the gas tank size is 3.4 gallons, but the first two times i was trying to figure out how far i could go on a tank. I ran out of gas twice at 103 miles. But i can only fill the tank at most 2.7 gallons. I was wondering how this could be true?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hmmm. My 09 750 ACE goes ~153 on the main (highway driving) and probably another 45 on reserve (never tried it tho'). I set the valves every time I burp or fart, tho'.

Ditto my bride's 08 Aero....you must be doing lotsa city stuff or running rich to run the main to only 100 miles.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i averaged 55-65 mpg. usually always got over 150 miles per tank before hittin' reserve on my 04 750 aero.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it does have a res. position but i always have it set to on. But i do almost all my driving in the city on my way to work and back. Would using a higher grade gas get me better mileage? I got it with 2800 miles on it and now it has about 3100 so maybe i should get it in for a tune up.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yes it does have a res. position but i always have it set to on. But i do almost all my driving in the city on my way to work and back. Would using a higher grade gas get me better mileage? I got it with 2800 miles on it and now it has about 3100 so maybe i should get it in for a tune up.
no. the aero's are designed for the low grade stuff.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes it does have a res. position but i always have it set to on.
Not much point having a reserve then is there? Can you try this, put the petcock in the normal position and let us know how far you get before having to switch to reserve.

Also, are you doing mostly city or highway driving? At what altitude do you live?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I usually get to 109 miles before switching on my 02', but on my lady's 08 (stock) she can get over 150 miles before switching. This is one of the most confusing things to me, and something i am still trying to figure out why. I get about 48mpg average.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2006 Spirit 750 - it's a bear to gas-up. Once it fills to the top, you have to wait a few seconds until it settles down, and I repeat that process for up to .5 gallons. That seems like an engineering flaw to me, but I am sure others will say that either it isn't a big deal, or that it was engineered that way for a reason.

I find it unacceptable mainly because it makes judging gas mileage WAG (wild ass guess) at best.

For my bike, which I've had since May and put on around 1500 miles almost solely 5 mile commutes to and fro - it has around 4400 miles on it and the weather here is hot has **** (which improves mileage) and I use premium gasoline: I am usually between 62-67 MPG, with the lowest being 57. I am also very easy on the bike usually never higher than 60 MPH. But again, the poorly-engineered gas tank makes accurate MPG readings impossible.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have an 03 750 spirit and I flip to reserve at 120 miles. Usually go to about 140-150 before I put gas in it. Have never put over 2.9 gallons in it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i have a 03 750 spirit to, but i drive mainly city and its a lot of stop and go on my way to work everyday, so i guess that would be my main problem Im losing like 10 to 20 miles more on the tank. But yea i have never filled it more than 2.7 gals

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea i have an 03 750 spirit to, but im only getting 100 miles. But i mostly drive in city and stop and go on my way to and from work, so i think that it why im losing out on that 10 to 20 miles more that you guys are getting. But still even when its empty i can only fill it up to 2.7 gals.

but thanks everyone for your response's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea i have an 03 750 spirit to, but im only getting 100 miles. But i mostly drive in city and stop and go on my way to and from work, so i think that it why im losing out on that 10 to 20 miles more that you guys are getting. But still even when its empty i can only fill it up to 2.7 gals.

but thanks everyone for your response's.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There are a number of factors that will affect your actual mileage. Ambient air temp, terrain, idling, payload (weight of rider, passenger, cargo etc), parasite drag (how streamline your ride is, includes windshield and accessories), how aggressively you ride, how fast you ride, and finally how your engine is tuned (includes modified exhaust).

Your calculated mileage will also vary (as previously stated) because it is virtually impossible to fill the tank to exactly the same level twice.

As for not being able to "add" more then 2.7 gals to a 3 gal tank? You cannot completely empty or fill a tank. Ever notice that when you finish your beer there is always a splash left in the bottom of the can? Same holds true for your tank. How much of a "splash" that is left in your tank depends on the exact location of the fuel pickup and the payload and attitude of the bike when you ran out. Also you will be hard pressed to fill it up "completely" because that is just the nature of this beast. Also due to air pockets in the top of the tank and that the filler neck goes down into the tank.

Relax and don't always try to push it to the limit (unless you actually live further then 150 miles from the nearest gas station). Just top it up more often.

5ft2
With Eyes of Blue

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The mileage #'s on my 03 Shadow Spirit are directly Proportional to my Right hand Position.Ethanol Free fuel will pick up your Mileage 10-20% over the normal Ethanol swill the call fuel if you can find some localy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an '83 Vt500 I ran out last week at 250kms but the tank still had fuel in it, which confused me. Only takes about 10-14Litres to filll er up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently bought 07 Spirit VT750C2. I'm getting about 49 mpg. I had to flip to reserve at 113 miles just the other day. But again, I'm getting almost 50 mpg. Found a good site the other day for tracking MPG: fuelly.com. You can see my mileage tracked under user name dtolson3. Good luck.

Oh, when I fill up, I let the pump shut off automatically and intentionally don't fill it right to the top. I've read it is not good to do that because of heat, evaporation, or something like that.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Recently bought 07 Spirit VT750C2. I'm getting about 49 mpg. I had to flip to reserve at 113 miles just the other day. But again, I'm getting almost 50 mpg. Found a good site the other day for tracking MPG: fuelly.com. You can see my mileage tracked under user name dtolson3. Good luck.

Oh, when I fill up, I let the pump shut off automatically and intentionally don't fill it right to the top. I've read it is not good to do that because of heat, evaporation, or something like that.
I fill mine up to the top 99% of the time and have never had any problems with the so called over fill, course usually I'm riding with the fill up or going home, I know I can go farther than 113 on a tank, but usually try to fill up around 100/125 miles............

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea im big guy so that will def affect it, but thanks everyone for you help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts